Extrinsic Curvature Formulas in General Relativity: Are They Equivalent?

In summary: I hope I didn't waste too much of your time on this.In summary, there are two different formulas for calculating extrinsic curvature, one from "Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach" and the other from "Eric Possion, A Relativist's Toolkit." However, these formulas do not match and there is a discrepancy in the denominators. The first formula involves a change in direction and length, while the second formula involves a unit normal vector. Further investigation is needed to determine the correct formula for calculating extrinsic curvature.
craigthone
I know two kinds formulas to calculate extrinsic curvature. But I found they do not match.

One is from "Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach"##K=\frac{d\phi}{ds}## where ##Δ\phi## is the change in direction and ##Δs## is the change in length. For parametric form curve ##(x(t),y(t))## the extrinsic curvature is given by
$$K=\frac{x'y''-x''y'}{\sqrt{x'^2+y'^2}}$$
where ##'≡\frac{d}{dt}##

The extrinsic curvature formula in general relativity from "Eric Possion, A Relativist's Toolkit" is given by ##K=∇_\alpha n^\alpha##. For a plane curve ##(x(t),y(t))## in flat space, the outgoing unit normal vector is ##(n^x,n^y)=(\frac{y'}{\sqrt{x'^2+y'^2}},\frac{-x'}{\sqrt{x'^2+y'^2}})##, and the extrinsic curvature is
$$K=\partial_x n^x+\partial_y n^y=\frac{1}{x'} \partial_t n^x+\frac{1}{y'} \partial_t n^y=2\frac{x'y''-x''y'}{\sqrt{x'^2+y'^2}}$$

Is there anything wrong here? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
A google of the subject of curvature in differential geometry gave some rather complex results, but one of the more fundamental topics that came up was Gaussian curvature and principal curvatures. Maybe there is a simple solution to this one, but the google did not seem to yield any simple explanations.

The denominators are ##(x'^2+y'^2)^{3/2}## ratherthan ##\sqrt{(x'^2+y'^2)}##

craigthone said:
I know two kinds formulas to calculate extrinsic curvature. But I found they do not match.

One is from "Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach"##K=\frac{d\phi}{ds}## where ##Δ\phi## is the change in direction and ##Δs## is the change in length. For parametric form curve ##(x(t),y(t))## the extrinsic curvature is given by
$$K=\frac{x'y''-x''y'}{(x'^2+y'^2)^{3/2}}$$
where ##'≡\frac{d}{dt}##

The extrinsic curvature formula in general relativity from "Eric Possion, A Relativist's Toolkit" is given by ##K=∇_\alpha n^\alpha##. For a plane curve ##(x(t),y(t))## in flat space, the outgoing unit normal vector is ##(n^x,n^y)=(\frac{y'}{\sqrt{x'^2+y'^2}},\frac{-x'}{\sqrt{x'^2+y'^2}})##, and the extrinsic curvature is
$$K=\partial_x n^x+\partial_y n^y=\frac{1}{x'} \partial_t n^x+\frac{1}{y'} \partial_t n^y=2\frac{x'y''-x''y'}{(x'^2+y'^2)^{3/2}}$$

Is there anything wrong here? Thanks in advance!

For motion in a plane, ## |\frac{d \hat{N}}{ds}| ## could also be used to define the curvature, since ## \hat{N} ## is always perpendicular to ## \hat{T} ##. I was looking for a similar concept for a surface covering 3 dimensions, and I think it should be of the form ## \vec{N}_{ij} =\frac{\partial{N_i}}{\partial{x_j}} ##, but I couldn't find it in a google search. This would make ## d \hat{N}=\vec{N}_{ij} \cdot d \vec{s} ##, but I couldn't find it in this form. ## \\ ## Meanwhile, the derivatives in the second case are quite lengthy. If I get some free time, I may try to compute them and see if they match your first expression.

Last edited:
Likes craigthone
I worked the through the calculation in the second case, and got exactly what you did with the extra factor of 2. The next step is to see if ## K=d \phi/ds ## in the first expression is computed correctly...And a google of it shows the formula is correct for ## d \phi/ds ## without the 2. ## \\ ## Additional comment: It was my first instincts that this definition ## K= \nabla_{\alpha} n^{\alpha} ## is not precisely ## |\frac{d \hat{N}}{ds}| ##. It's good to see that there is a simple factor of 2 that connects them for the two dimensional case.

Last edited:
Likes craigthone

1. What is extrinsic curvature?

Extrinsic curvature is a measure of the curvature of a surface within a higher dimensional space. It is the curvature of a surface as it appears from the outside, rather than the curvature of the surface itself.

2. How is extrinsic curvature different from intrinsic curvature?

Intrinsic curvature is the curvature of a surface as it is embedded within a higher dimensional space, while extrinsic curvature is the curvature of a surface as it appears from the outside. In other words, intrinsic curvature is a property of the surface itself, while extrinsic curvature is a property of its surrounding space.

3. What are some applications of extrinsic curvature?

Extrinsic curvature has various applications in physics, mathematics, and engineering. It is used to study the behavior of curved surfaces in space, such as in general relativity and differential geometry. It also has practical applications in fields like computer graphics, where it is used to model and render 3D objects.

4. How is extrinsic curvature calculated?

Extrinsic curvature can be calculated using mathematical equations that describe the relationship between the surface and its surrounding space. It can also be measured experimentally through techniques such as bending tests or laser scanning.

5. Can extrinsic curvature be negative?

Yes, extrinsic curvature can be positive, negative, or zero, depending on the geometry of the surface. A positive extrinsic curvature means that the surface curves outward, while a negative extrinsic curvature means that the surface curves inward. A zero extrinsic curvature means that the surface is flat or has no curvature.