Eye Color Evolution in Hominids: Comparing Chimpanzees and Humans

• Thread starter Calpalned
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Color Eye
In summary: The importance of knowing the eye color of our ancestors is that it allows us to better understand nonverbal communication.
Calpalned
8) Chimpanzees have much less visible white sclera than

humans. That is, their eyes are basically just black and brown. As

a result, what do scientists think the eyes of hominids looked like?

Biology news on Phys.org
Neanderthals lived very recently, so it makes sense that they have eyes that are similar to ours. However, chimpanzees have eyes that are basically all black. Therefore, is there any way to determine the eye color of hominids more primitive than neanderthal like homo habilis, erectus etc?

A quick canvass of the lit suggests that early homonim eye color is being figured from DNA.
Where that is not available, it's basically guesswork.

You know you can just google for this stuff right?

Simon Bridge said:
You know you can just google for this stuff right?
Googling "Hominid eye color" led to "Haeckel divided humanity ... based upon... eye color" and "
The genes that control eye color are just a few out of tens of thousands of genes..." These are interesting facts about eye color, but they do not answer my question of what the eyes of our ancestors look like.

Here is what I already know: Humans evolved to have more prominent scleras (white part of eye) because that allows people to track eye movement and thus facilitate nonverbal communication. Our closest living nonhuman relatives, the chimpanzees, have eyes that are basically all black (no sclera, or at least a black one). I was curious if DNA could show whether hominin like homo erectus and homo habilis perhaps had eyes that were in between (that is less visible sclera than modern humans but more so than chimps).

I believe it was in one of the articles I had posted, they had brown skin and brown eyes, Peking man actually is thought to have had more European features although the bones were found in Asia, go figure, we've seen some weird things, there are also pictures in those links. I would suggest reading through everything provided and then ask for clarification, that will help to get you better answers. :oldsmile: The palomar series I had linked to in the other thread takes you through an entire series on the subject.

http://anthro.palomar.edu/homo/homo_2.htm

Last edited:
It would also be useful to stick to just one question at a time - the answer in this thread seems to be a moving target: do you want to know what the eye colors are usually thought to be or do you want to know how eye color is assessed when doing reconstructions? Ether way, you have enough to find answers.

You won't find a direct answer to the questions in the references - you need to read between the lines.
Look at the arguments - it's mostly guesswork. You can give them purple eyes if you want. Why is it important?

Likes Evo

Related to Eye Color Evolution in Hominids: Comparing Chimpanzees and Humans

1. What is the main difference in eye color between chimpanzees and humans?

The main difference in eye color between chimpanzees and humans is that chimpanzees generally have dark brown eyes, while human eye color can range from light blue to dark brown depending on genetic factors.

2. How did eye color evolve in hominids?

Evidence suggests that eye color evolved in hominids through a process of genetic mutations and natural selection. As hominids adapted to different environments and diets, their eye color may have changed to better suit their needs.

3. Are there any other factors besides genetics that can influence eye color?

Yes, other factors such as diet, exposure to sunlight, and even diseases can influence eye color. For example, a diet rich in certain nutrients like copper and iron can contribute to darker eye color, while exposure to UV radiation from sunlight can cause lighter eye color.

4. Is there a specific advantage to having different eye colors in humans?

There is no specific advantage to having different eye colors in humans, as eye color does not affect vision or overall health. However, some studies suggest that certain eye colors may be more attractive to potential mates, leading to potential reproductive advantages.

5. Can eye color be used to determine human ancestry?

Eye color can be used as a general indicator of ancestry, as different populations and ethnicities tend to have distinct eye colors. However, eye color alone cannot be used as a definitive factor for determining human ancestry, as it is influenced by a complex interplay of genetic and environmental factors.