F=ma, kinematics in vector notation

In summary, the individual is discussing their approach to solving a question involving an object with three forces acting on it and an acceleration value. They suggest adding the x- and y-components of the forces, finding the angle of the resultant force, and using the velocity equation to find the velocity components. They are unsure about using the same angle for the velocity components as the resultant force. However, this is correct if the initial velocity is zero or at the same angle as the resultant force.
shawli
I'd like to go over my approach to a question I am doing right now, but I've posted my general approach instead of the question itself.

Say there is some object with three forces acting on it, and these forces are given to me in vector notation (i.e. with unit vectors "i" and "j"). I am also given the acceleration of the object as a scalar value with no direction/angle, only the unit "m/s2". If I am asked to find the velocity components of the object at time "t" (assuming initial t=0), is the following approach correct:

1. Add x-components and y-components of all three force vectors, which will give me the vector of the resultant/net force.
2. Find the angle "theta" of the net force using inverse tan.
3. Find velocity using Vf=Vi+a*t, where Vi=0 and "a" and "t" are given.

Here is where I am unsure:

4. Find x-component of velocity by Vf*cos(theta) and y-component of velocity by Vf*sin(theta). I am using the theta found in step 2, assuming the direction of the velocity is the same as the direction of the net force.

I'd like to know if my assumption about using the same theta is correct?

Thank you for reading this far!

Physics news on Phys.org
shawli said:
I'd like to go over my approach to a question I am doing right now, but I've posted my general approach instead of the question itself.

Say there is some object with three forces acting on it, and these forces are given to me in vector notation (i.e. with unit vectors "i" and "j"). I am also given the acceleration of the object as a scalar value with no direction/angle, only the unit "m/s2". If I am asked to find the velocity components of the object at time "t" (assuming initial t=0), is the following approach correct:

1. Add x-components and y-components of all three force vectors, which will give me the vector of the resultant/net force.
2. Find the angle "theta" of the net force using inverse tan.
3. Find velocity using Vf=Vi+a*t, where Vi=0 and "a" and "t" are given.

Here is where I am unsure:

4. Find x-component of velocity by Vf*cos(theta) and y-component of velocity by Vf*sin(theta). I am using the theta found in step 2, assuming the direction of the velocity is the same as the direction of the net force.

I'd like to know if my assumption about using the same theta is correct?

Thank you for reading this far!
Assuming that either (a) the initial velocity, Vi, is zero, or (b) the initial velocity is at the same angle as the resultant force, you are correct. :approve:

Thank you for your speedy reply :D

1. What does F=ma represent?

F=ma is a mathematical equation known as Newton's Second Law of Motion. It represents the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration in an object. In simpler terms, it means that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration.

2. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities in kinematics?

Scalar quantities in kinematics only have magnitude, such as distance or speed. Vector quantities have both magnitude and direction, such as displacement or velocity. F=ma is an example of a vector equation, as it takes into account both the direction and magnitude of force, mass, and acceleration.

3. How is kinematics represented in vector notation?

In vector notation, kinematics is represented using boldface letters to indicate vector quantities. For example, the displacement vector would be represented as d, and the velocity vector would be represented as v. In F=ma, the force vector is represented as F, the mass vector is represented as m, and the acceleration vector is represented as a.

4. How is vector addition used in kinematics?

Vector addition is used in kinematics to find the net force, displacement, or velocity of an object. It involves combining multiple vectors using the parallelogram rule, where the resultant vector is the diagonal of the parallelogram formed by the two original vectors. This is important in solving problems involving multiple forces or directions in kinematics.

5. Why is vector notation important in kinematics?

Vector notation is important in kinematics because it allows us to represent both the magnitude and direction of physical quantities. This is essential in understanding the motion of objects in different directions and in solving problems involving multiple forces or directions. Vector notation also allows for more precise and accurate calculations in kinematics.