F = Minimum Force Required to Lift Bicycle Wheel off Ground

In summary: When you have two forces acting on an object, the object will move towards the point with the greater force. In this case, the wheel will start to move upwards when the Normal force of the step is greater than the force of gravity.
leezak
The figure shows a bicycle wheel resting against a small step whose height is h = 0.110 m. The weight and radius of the wheel are W = 29.0 N and r = 0.350 m. A horizontal force F is applied to the axle of the wheel. As the magnitude of F increases, there comes a time when the wheel just begins to rise up and loses contact with the ground. What is the magnitude of the force when this happens?

I drew a diagram, yet I'm not even sure how to start this problem... help please! thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What direction is the normal force from the step acting? What component is vertical? How will this affect the normal force on the ground?

the normal force from the step is acting horizontally towards the wheel and the vertical components are the weight (29 N) and the Normal force from the ground. what do i do with this info? do i somehow incorporate the torque equation?

Since the step is not applying a force towards the center of mass, there is a torque created about the step. You step therefore applies an upwards force on the tire too. That's the one I asked you to find.

i'm not sure how to find that

okay so i got that the angle is 34.44 degrees and that the force going up is (Normal force of the step)(sin34.44) right? am i then supposed to find the sum of the forces or something?

Yup so for the wheel to start moving up, it needs to have a net force in the upward direction. From your FBD you ahve the force of gravity and now the Normal force of the step, so these are your vertical forces. Under what condition will the net force be upwards?

Related to F = Minimum Force Required to Lift Bicycle Wheel off Ground

1. What is the significance of the minimum force required to lift a bicycle wheel off the ground?

The minimum force required to lift a bicycle wheel off the ground, also known as the minimum lifting force, is an important measure in understanding the weight and balance of a bicycle. It tells us the minimum amount of force needed to overcome the weight of the bicycle and its rider in order to lift the wheel off the ground.

2. How is the minimum force required to lift a bicycle wheel off the ground calculated?

The minimum force required to lift a bicycle wheel off the ground is calculated by dividing the weight of the bicycle and rider by the number of wheels. For a standard bicycle with two wheels, the minimum lifting force would be equal to half the weight of the bicycle and rider.

3. What factors can affect the minimum force required to lift a bicycle wheel off the ground?

The minimum lifting force can be affected by various factors such as the weight and distribution of the rider and any additional weight on the bicycle, the type and condition of the tires, and the surface on which the bicycle is being lifted. In general, a heavier bicycle or rider will require a greater minimum lifting force.

4. Can the minimum force required to lift a bicycle wheel off the ground be reduced?

Yes, the minimum lifting force can be reduced by making adjustments to the weight distribution on the bicycle, such as shifting the rider's position or removing any excess weight. Additionally, using lighter tires and choosing a smooth surface can also help reduce the minimum lifting force needed.

5. Why is knowing the minimum force required to lift a bicycle wheel off the ground important?

Knowing the minimum lifting force is important for various reasons. It can help with proper bike setup and weight distribution, which can improve the overall performance and handling of the bicycle. It is also important for safety, as lifting the wheel off the ground requires a certain amount of strength and can be an indication of the weight and balance of the bicycle.