Face width of a spur gear pair

In summary, the face width of a spur gear pair should not always be equal. There are some cases where wider gears are needed, and in others narrower gears will suffice.
cherish
TL;DR Summary
Why does face width of a spur gear pair normally not equal?
Dear Physicsforum Mentors,

For a pinion and gear wheel, the face width instead of 12mm for both, it should be 14mm and 12mm.

The explanation I got is, when there's 0.2mm deviation in axial, then only 11.8mm width will be in meshing. later, when the system be worn out, that 0.2mm will be in meshing and making noise.

I just wonder if there's any other critical reason, rather than just to avoid of making noise as described above. Since by searching, I still see there're many spur gear pairs with the same face width?

Thank you for your taking time on reading my thread :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
cherish said:
Summary: Why does face width of a spur gear pair normally not equal?
How have you come to that conclusion? Are the gears you surveyed made from metal or from plastic? When correctly lubricated, metal gears will NOT wear significantly.

Higher speed spur gears will throw lubricant from the pinion. Is the lubrication by oil bath, or open and exposed, greased once only when manufactured?

A wider gear may be needed where the manufacturing tolerance on axial position is wide. Gears may be positioned axially by a simple bush, by deep groove bearings, or by opposed tapered roller bearings.

Likes Lnewqban and cherish
What @Lnewqban said.

Also, while some people may design gear pairs with unequal face width in certain applications, normal practice is to make both gears in a pair the same face width. If you are involved with gear design, I can highly recommend that you have a copy of Dudley's Handbook of Practical Gear Design and Manufacture on your shelf. Everything that you want to know about gear life and gear noise is in that book.

I once read an earlier edition of that book, and it convinced me that I should confine my gear design efforts to low speed gear trains with low loads. But I did get enough out of it to be able talk intelligently to a real gear expert.

Likes cherish and Lnewqban
Dear all,

I am very appreciated with all of your guidance and especially comment from Baluncore are very clear for me now. I have came back to the guy who made that statement to get more clarify and he assumed the noise might come out during rotation without carrying load (the one he described is in a motorbike gearbox), so no fix rule for a pinion should be wider than ring gear.
Thanks Lnewqban and jrmichler, I have visited these links for reading, and will stick the Handbook for later if I have chance to go with a gear design for a certain case :)

Likes Lnewqban
cherish said:
... I have came back to the guy who made that statement to get more clarify and he assumed the noise might come out during rotation without carrying load (the one he described is in a motorbike gearbox), so no fix rule for a pinion should be wider than ring gear.
You are welcome, cherish :cool:

As you can see in this video, the spur gears of a motorcycle transmission have relaxed axial tolerances regarding movement.
All I have seen have gear wheels of exactly same width.
They work in a bath of oil and abnormal noise could be caused by incorrect grade of oil or excessive wear or improperly adjusted shifting mechanism.

Hi lnewqban,

I got a picture from Honda that looks a bit different, maybe it varies from manufacturers, or the illustration will not be an exact like between 12mm and 13mm

4E892CEB-F1F2-4CCE-A87A-6C1069A43C37.jpeg

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is the significance of the face width of a spur gear pair?

The face width of a spur gear pair refers to the width of the gear teeth along the axis of rotation. It is an important factor in determining the load-carrying capacity and durability of the gear pair.

2. How is the face width of a spur gear pair calculated?

The face width of a spur gear pair is calculated by multiplying the number of teeth on the gear by the module (pitch diameter divided by number of teeth) and the cosine of the helix angle. This calculation gives the theoretical face width, which may need to be adjusted based on the gear manufacturing process.

3. What factors affect the face width of a spur gear pair?

The face width of a spur gear pair can be affected by the gear material, tooth profile, helix angle, and operating conditions such as speed, load, and lubrication. It is important to consider these factors when designing a gear pair to ensure optimal performance and durability.

4. How does the face width of a spur gear pair impact gear noise?

The face width of a spur gear pair can have a significant impact on gear noise. A wider face width can help reduce noise by distributing the load over a larger area, while a narrower face width may result in higher gear noise due to concentrated loading on the gear teeth.

5. Can the face width of a spur gear pair be changed after manufacturing?

In most cases, the face width of a spur gear pair cannot be changed after manufacturing. However, it is possible to adjust the face width during the manufacturing process by grinding or shaving the gear teeth. This should only be done by experienced professionals to ensure the gear pair maintains proper tooth geometry and performance.