Facebook Sued Over Off-Line Tracking

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tracking
In summary, Facebook has been sued for tracking users' browser history even when they are not logged in. Despite ongoing concerns about privacy, Facebook's integration with other websites allows for tracking through third party cookies. The extent of this tracking and its purpose is unclear.
I realize I’ve become one of those bloggers who goes for days weeks at a time with no updates. *I have no excuse. *I’m working on a new post that should be up in a few days. *In the mean … http://virtualnavigator.wordpress.com/2011/10/17/facebook-sued-over-off-line-tracking/" http://stats.wordpress.com/b.gif?host=virtualnavigator.wordpress.com&blog=11498882&post=719&subd=virtualnavigator&ref=&feed=1

Read More...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know you can be tracked with third party cookies but how does facebook track your browser history?

John Creighto said:
I know you can be tracked with third party cookies but how does facebook track your browser history?

How indeed! I just did a quick search on Facebook - looks like 750 million members and growing.

John Creighto said:

Facebook is now integrated with many big sites. They all share data now.

I'm sure you've seen the little "comment sections" on many pages. If it loads your data from facebook onto the page, facebook knows where you have been. What they do with the information? Who knows. Likely it is to identify your trends and stuff.

1. What is the lawsuit against Facebook for?

The lawsuit against Facebook is for allegedly tracking user's internet activity even when they are not using the platform.

2. How does Facebook track users off-line?

Facebook uses cookies and other tracking technologies to collect data on users' internet activity even when they are not using the platform. This data is then used for targeted advertising and other purposes.

3. Is off-line tracking legal?

Off-line tracking is a controversial topic and there are currently no clear laws or regulations specifically addressing it. However, the lawsuit against Facebook argues that this type of tracking violates users' privacy rights and is therefore illegal.

4. What impact does off-line tracking have on users?

Off-line tracking can have a significant impact on users' privacy and security. It allows companies like Facebook to collect and store large amounts of personal data without users' knowledge or consent, which can be used for targeted advertising, manipulation, or even sold to third parties.

5. What can users do to protect themselves from off-line tracking?

Users can take several steps to protect themselves from off-line tracking. This includes regularly clearing cookies and browsing history, using privacy-focused browsers or browser extensions, and being cautious about the information they share online.