Factorials as n-- > infinity?

In summary: However, this is not what is important. What is important is that $\frac{(2n-1)!}{2n!}=\frac{1}{2}$. This is because $2n!=1*2*3$.
shamieh
A little confused here..

what does \(\displaystyle \frac{(2n-1)!}{2n!}\) as n---> \(\displaystyle \infty\) = to?

How would I look at that by inspection and figure it out because I am confused..

isn't 2! = 1 * 2
and 3! = 1 * 2 * 3?

but what is 2n! factorial... Also What is 2n-1! factorial equal to

Physics news on Phys.org
shamieh said:
A little confused here..

what does \(\displaystyle \frac{(2n-1)!}{2n!}\) as n---> \(\displaystyle \infty\) = to?

How would I look at that by inspection and figure it out because I am confused..

isn't 2! = 1 * 2
and 3! = 1 * 2 * 3?

but what is 2n! factorial... Also What is 2n-1! factorial equal to

I suppose that Your 'confusion' is due to a problem of notation. The denominator is...

$\displaystyle 2\ n! = 2\ n\ (n-1)\ ...\ 2\ \cdot 1 \ne (2\ n)! = 2\ n\ (2\ n -1)\ (2\ n - 2)...\ 2\ \cdot 1$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
So you're saying 2n! = 2n(n-1)?

I don;t know how to solve: as n ---> \(\displaystyle \infty\) \(\displaystyle \frac{(2n - 1)!}{2n!}\) I don't get it at all...

shamieh said:
I don;t know how to solve: as n ---> \(\displaystyle \infty\) \(\displaystyle \frac{(2n - 1)!}{2n!}\) I don't get it at all...

Is...

$\displaystyle \frac{(2\ n - 1)!}{2\ n!} = \frac{(2\ n - 1)\ (2\ n - 2)\ ...\ 2\ \cdot 1}{2\ n\ (n-1)\ (n-2)\ ... \ 2\ \cdot 1}= \frac{1}{2}\ (2\ n -1)\ (2\ n -2)\ ...\ (n+1)$

... so that... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

Thanks... Took me a second to see what was going on. I get it now.so then if i had \(\displaystyle \frac{(2n-1)!}{(2n + 1)!}\) then I would get as n-> infinity \(\displaystyle (2n+1)(2n)\) right?

shamieh said:
if i had \(\displaystyle \frac{(2n-1)!}{(2n + 1)!}\) then I would get as n-> infinity \(\displaystyle (2n+1)(2n)\) right?
What do you mean by saying you would get \(\displaystyle (2n+1)(2n)\)?

If i took n --> infinity I would get that result.

First,
\[
\frac{(2n-1)!}{(2n+1)!}=\frac{(2n-1)!}{(2n-1)!(2n)(2n+1)}=\frac{1}{2n(2n+1)}
\]
and not $2n(2n+1)$. Second, how can you write that taking the limit as $n\to\infty$ gives an expression that still contains $n$? For example, if $f(n)=n$, then which is correct: $\lim_{n\to\infty}f(n)=n$ or $\lim_{n\to\infty}f(n)=\infty$?

In post #3, you wrote $2n! = 2n(n-1)$. How did a factorial, which is a product of many factors, turn into a product of just three factors?

If you expect helpers to give you careful and correct answers, you should also double-check what you write.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
First,
\[
\frac{(2n-1)!}{(2n+1)!}=\frac{(2n-1)!}{(2n-1)!(2n)(2n+1)}=\frac{1}{2n(2n+1)}
\]
and not $2n(2n+1)$. Second, how can you write that taking the limit as $n\to\infty$ gives an expression that still contains $n$? For example, if $f(n)=n$, then which is correct: $\lim_{n\to\infty}f(n)=n$ or $\lim_{n\to\infty}f(n)=\infty$?

In post #3, you wrote $2n! = 2n(n-1)$. How did a factorial, which is a product of many factors, turn into a product of just three factors?

If you expect helpers to give you careful and correct answers, you should also double-check what you write.

You are correct

1. What is the definition of a factorial as n → ∞?

The factorial of a number, denoted by n!, is the product of all positive integers from 1 up to n. As n approaches infinity, the factorial also approaches infinity.

2. How do you calculate factorials as n → ∞?

There is no specific formula to calculate factorials as n approaches infinity. However, we can use the Stirling's approximation to estimate the factorial value for large values of n.

3. What is the significance of factorials as n → ∞ in mathematics?

Factorials as n approaches infinity are used in various mathematical concepts such as probability, combinatorics, and number theory. It is also used to represent the growth rate of a function.

4. Can factorials as n → ∞ be negative?

No, factorials cannot be negative as it is the product of positive integers. As n approaches infinity, the factorial value may become very large but it will always be positive.

5. How can factorials as n → ∞ be applied in real-world scenarios?

Factorials are commonly used in real-world scenarios to calculate the number of possible combinations or arrangements of objects. For example, it can be used to calculate the number of possible ways to arrange a deck of cards or to calculate the probability of winning a lottery.