Factoring a third degree polynomial

In summary: Try them.In summary, the conversation discusses how to factor a polynomial without graphing it. Suggestions include using the Rational Root Theorem and examining the last term's factors, as well as finding the local extrema of the polynomial.
Ibraheem

Homework Statement

Factor out the polynomial and find its solutions x^3-5x^2+7x-12[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to factor it, but I'm stuck in this step x^2(x-5)+7(x-5)+23= 0. I graphed the equation, and I know there is two imaginary solutions and one real positive integer which means there's a linear factor that I can't reach to without graphing the polynomial . So how do I factor the polynomial without referring to the graph? [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to find the real root among the dividers of the constant term. (what about 4?) It also helps if you find the extrema of the function.

Ibraheem said:
. So how do I factor the polynomial without referring to the graph?

You could observe the polynomial is negative at x = 0 and (using the way you rewrote it) that it is positive at x = 5. So without graphing it, you can tell the graph crosses the x-axis between x = 0 and x = 5. Look for an integer root that is between 0 and 5 by trial and error.

Likes Ibraheem
Ibraheem said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I tried to factor it, but I'm stuck in this step x^2(x-5)+7(x-5)+23= 0. I graphed the equation, and I know there is two imaginary solutions and one real positive integer which means there's a linear factor that I can't reach to without graphing the polynomial . So how do I factor the polynomial without referring to the graph? [/B]

Typically, one uses Descartes rule of signs to determine the number of real roots and the rational root theorem to deduce trial solutions for polynomials.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descartes'_rule_of_signs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_root_theorem

Likes Ibraheem
Ibraheem said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Use the Rational Root Theorem: see, eg.,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_root_theorem
or
http://www.purplemath.com/modules/rtnlroot.htm

Note added in edit: I see that the rational root theorem has already been suggested to you.

Last edited:
Likes Ibraheem
These problems given with integer coefficients usually have integer solutions (though that's a fact about the problems they give you, not a fact about polynomials with integer coefficients in general). So look at the last term, ±12 or ± one or more of its factors you expect to be a solution. Try. Then there's a bit more to it but which is, or will become, fairly obvious.

Since 12 has so many factors (12, including negatives), trying all of them might be a bit painful. It will certainly help to have an idea of the graph first.
Clearly it is asymptotically -infinity to the left and +infinity to the right.
Differentiating produces a quadratic with obvious factors, so you can find the two local extrema. Necessarily, the one to the left is the local max. But the cubic is still negative there, so you know you are looking for a factor greater than the greater root of the quadratic. There are only four.

What is a third degree polynomial?

A third degree polynomial is a mathematical expression that contains a variable raised to the power of three, also known as a cubic polynomial. It can be written in the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the variable.

Why is factoring a third degree polynomial important?

Factoring a third degree polynomial is important because it allows us to solve equations and find the roots of the polynomial. It also helps us understand the behavior of the polynomial and make predictions about its graph.

How do you factor a third degree polynomial?

To factor a third degree polynomial, you can use the grouping method or the factoring by grouping method. You can also use the rational root theorem to find possible rational roots, and then use synthetic division or long division to factor the polynomial completely.

What is the difference between a factor and a root of a third degree polynomial?

A factor of a third degree polynomial is a term that when multiplied with other terms, gives the polynomial. A root, also known as a solution, is a value of the variable that makes the polynomial equal to zero. Factors can help us find roots, but not all roots are factors.

Can a third degree polynomial have more than three roots?

Yes, a third degree polynomial can have more than three roots, but it can only have a maximum of three distinct real roots. This is because a third degree polynomial can have complex roots, which are not considered as part of the real number system.