Factoring Involving the Difference of Two Squares

To use that factorization, you'd need to let a and b be complex numbers, and then you'd have ##\left(c+2\right)\left(c-2\right) = \left(c+2i\right)\left(c-2i\right)##.
DS2C

Homework Statement

Completely factor:

$$5abc^4-80ab$$

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

$$5abc^4-80ab$$
$$5ab\left(c^4-16\right)$$
$$5ab\left(c^2+4\right)\left(c^2-4\right)$$
[/B]
The correct solution is ##5ab\left(c^2+4\right)\left(c+2\right)\left(c-2\right)##
I can see why it factored out the ##\left(c^2-4\right)## further, but why isn't it required to do so with the ##\left(c^2+4\right)## as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
DS2C said:

Homework Statement

Completely factor:

$$5abc^4-80ab$$

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

$$5abc^4-80ab$$
$$5ab\left(c^4-16\right)$$
$$5ab\left(c^2+4\right)\left(c^2-4\right)$$
[/B]
The correct solution is ##5ab\left(c^2+4\right)\left(c+2\right)\left(c-2\right)##
I can see why it factored out the ##\left(c^2-4\right)## further, but why isn't it required to do so with the ##\left(c^2+4\right)## as well?
Because ##c^2 - 4## is a difference of squares while ##c^2 + 4## is the sum of two squares. The latter can't be factored into two linear binomials whose coefficients are real. It can, however, be factored into complex numbers, as ##(c + 2i)(c - 2i)##, but in ordinary factoring, you're only concerned with factors with real coefficients.

Thanks for that quick response, Mark. But why can the difference between two squares be factored with real numbers however the sum between two squares cannot?

DS2C said:
Thanks for that quick response, Mark. But why can the difference between two squares be factored with real numbers however the sum between two squares cannot?
Let's look at the equation ##x^2 - 1 = 0##. I don't think you have any problem with recognizing that the equation could be rewritten as (x - 1)(x + 1) = 0.

Now consider the equation ##x^2 + 1 = 0##. Is is possible to rewrite this as (x + a)(x + b) = 0, assuming that both a and b are real numbers? If so, we must have a*b = 1 and a + b = 0 (the latter since the coefficient of x is 0).

If a + b = 0, then a and b must be opposites (i.e., additive inverses), which would also include the possibility that a = b = 0.
If ab = 1, then a and b need to be reciprocals (multiplicative inverses) of one another. This rules out the possibility that either one could be zero. It also says that both a and b have to be positive, or both have to be negative. Each of these latter conclusions rules out the possibility of a and b being opposites.

The upshot is that there are no real numbers a and b so that (x + a)(x + b) = 0. If I relax the condition that a and b must be real, it turns out that there are solutions for a and b; namely, a = i and b = -i, where i is the imaginary number ##\sqrt{-1}##. Thus, allowing coefficients from the complex numbers, ##x^2 + 1## can be factored into ##(x + i)(x - i)##.

Likes DS2C
Thanks a lot for that reply Mark. Been real busy with schoolwork so I got to this a little late, but it makes sense. I'll keep this in mind when I eventually get to imaginary numbers.

I did a little fiddling and multiplied out ##\left(c+2\right)\left(c-2\right)## and came up with ##\left(c^2-4\right)##.
In multiplying ##\left(c+2\right)\left(c+2\right)##, I got ##c^2+4c+4##.
Is this another way of saying it as well?

DS2C said:
I did a little fiddling and multiplied out ##\left(c+2\right)\left(c-2\right)## and came up with ##\left(c^2-4\right)##.
In multiplying ##\left(c+2\right)\left(c+2\right)##, I got ##c^2+4c+4##.
Is this another way of saying it as well?
Well, sort of. The multiplication you're doing is the opposite operation of factoring. You found that (c + 2)(c - 2) = c2 - 4, but there aren't any real numbers a and b for which (x - a)(x - b) = x2 + k2.

What is "factoring involving the difference of two squares"?

"Factoring involving the difference of two squares" is a method of breaking down a polynomial expression into simpler terms. It is used when the expression contains two perfect square terms that are being subtracted from each other.

Why is factoring involving the difference of two squares important?

Factoring involving the difference of two squares is important because it allows us to simplify polynomial expressions and make them easier to work with. It also helps us to solve equations and find the roots of a polynomial.

How do you factor an expression involving the difference of two squares?

To factor an expression involving the difference of two squares, we can use the formula (a + b)(a - b) = a2 - b2. We identify the two perfect square terms and plug them into the formula, keeping in mind that the signs between the terms should be opposite.

Can you provide an example of factoring involving the difference of two squares?

Sure, for the expression x2 - 4, we can use the formula (a + b)(a - b) = a2 - b2 and plug in a = x and b = 2. This gives us (x + 2)(x - 2) = x2 - 4, which is the factored form of the expression.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when factoring involving the difference of two squares?

One common mistake is forgetting to use the opposite signs between the two terms. Another mistake is not recognizing that both terms must be perfect squares. It's also important to check that the factored form is equivalent to the original expression by expanding the parentheses.