Adding "annihilating terms" to factor

• Thread starter DS2C
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, the given expression of ##a^4-b^4## can be factored as ##\left(a-b\right)\left(a^3+a^2b+ab^2+b^3\right)## or ##\left(a^2-b^2\right)\left(a^2+b^2\right)##. There can be more than one correct solution when factoring a polynomial, and it is important to factor each part as far as possible. "Annihilating terms" is just another way of describing division, and it may require some trial and error to determine which terms to add. The given expression can also be factored as ##\left(a-b\right)\left(a+b\
DS2C
Not a homework problem, just something I came across in my book that makes sense but not fully.

Homework Statement

Factor: ##a^4-b^4##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The book's solution:

##a^4-b^4##
##=a^4-a^3b+a^3b-a^2b^2+a^2b^2-ab^3+ab^3-b^4##
##=a^3\left(a-b\right)+a^2b\left(a-b\right)+ab^2\left(a-b\right)+b^3\left(a-b\right)##
##=\left(a-b\right)\left(a^3+a^2b+ab^2+b^3\right)##

Just what is going on here? Such a tiny binomial resulting in something way larger, with what seem like arbitrary terms added in.

Additionally, it gives another factorization of the given problem ##a^4-b^4## which is also factored into ##\left(a^2-b^2\right)\left(a^2+b^2\right)##
You can have more than one correct solution when factoring a polynomial? In what situations would one be the "correct vs incorrect" way? Or is it synonymous with something like factoring 12 into 4*3, 6*2, 12*1 where they are all correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could still perform another factorization on ##a^2-b^2##. Since it didn't say until only irreducible factors are left, it has indeed more than one solution.

Likes scottdave and DS2C
Man this factoring stuff goes deep. Feels like there should be an entire semester focusing on just this. Must be pretty important!

DS2C said:
Man this factoring stuff goes deep. Feels like there should be an entire semester focusing on just this. Must be pretty important!
It is, and of course it's always only up to units, as one can always factor ##f(x) = c \cdot (c^{-1} \cdot f(x))## and which is of no use.

Not at all sure what that means unfortunately. I'm only at factoring polynomials in the form of ##ax^2+bx+c## currently. There's obviously a lot more to learn.

Well, just apply what you did once again on: ##a^4-b^4=(a^2-b^2)(a^2+b^2)## and you get three factors, which cannot be split any further, so we call them irreducible. The terms ##a^4-b^4## and ##a^2-b^2## are reducible.

Yeah that's my thread too lol. The reason for a new thread is a new aspect of the factoring. The problem posted, which was out of my book, mentions "inserting annihilating terms" into the expression to factor. This is what I am having trouble wrapping my head around. Why do this and how do you determine what "annihilating" terms to input?

DS2C said:
Yeah that's my thread too lol. The reason for a new thread is a new aspect of the factoring. The problem posted, which was out of my book, mentions "inserting annihilating terms" into the expression to factor. This is what I am having trouble wrapping my head around. Why do this and how do you determine what "annihilating" terms to input?
It is simply another way to describe a division. Instead of calculating ##(a^4-b^4):(a-b)## the entire division is somehow written backwards. If we know the result, then we know which "annihilating terms" to be added. Otherwise it's probably a try and error. I still prefer the division. I doubt there is a system behind it.

Last edited:
That makes more sense. Here's the text in question for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_3805.JPG
    IMG_3805.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_3806.JPG
    IMG_3806.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 423
Factor again ##\left(a^2-b^2\right)## in ##\left(a^2-b^2\right)\left(a^2+b^2\right)##

To see that the two factorisations are actually the same, try to re-write the above factorisation as ##\left(a-b\right)\left(a^3+a^2b+ab^2+b^3\right)##. You should see what to do after the first step above.

Normally in factorising we try to factorise each factor as far as possible, so in this case, the first part of this reply is what we normally do.

qspeechc said:
Factor again ##\left(a^2-b^2\right)## in ##\left(a^2-b^2\right)\left(a^2+b^2\right)##
I assume you've meant ##\left(a^2-b^2\right)## in ##\left(a-b\right)\left(a+b\right)##.

fresh_42 said:
I assume you've meant ##\left(a^2-b^2\right)## in ##\left(a-b\right)\left(a+b\right)##.

No. "In" not "into", as in, factor again the part ##\left(a^2-b^2\right)## in the expression ##\left(a-b\right)\left(a+b\right)##

1. What are "annihilating terms" in a factor?

"Annihilating terms" in a factor refer to the terms that are equal in magnitude but opposite in sign, and thus cancel each other out when added together. These terms are often introduced to simplify a mathematical expression or to solve for unknown variables.

2. How do you add annihilating terms to a factor?

To add annihilating terms to a factor, you must first identify which terms are equal in magnitude but opposite in sign. Then, you can combine these terms by adding or subtracting them depending on their signs. The result will be a simplified version of the original factor.

3. What is the purpose of adding annihilating terms to a factor?

The main purpose of adding annihilating terms to a factor is to simplify a mathematical expression. By cancelling out terms, the expression becomes easier to work with and can often lead to finding solutions for unknown variables.

4. Can you add any terms to a factor to simplify it?

No, you cannot add just any terms to a factor. The terms must be equal in magnitude but opposite in sign in order to cancel each other out. Adding terms randomly can result in an incorrect or more complex expression.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for adding annihilating terms to a factor?

Yes, there are some rules and guidelines to follow when adding annihilating terms to a factor. These include ensuring that the terms are equal in magnitude but opposite in sign, correctly identifying and combining these terms, and being mindful of any negative signs or coefficients. It is important to double check the simplified expression to ensure it is equivalent to the original factor.