Factoring multivariable polynomials

In summary, the student is working on a computer algebra system and is having difficulty with factoring polynomials. They have tried using a book and self-study but are still struggling. The student's system can factor simple expressions but not more complex ones, which is necessary for simplification. They are seeking advice or resources from others who may have experience with factoring polynomials in computer algebra systems.
nullsquared
Hey,

I'm a high school student (11th grade) and I'm working on a computer algebra system for a research project. Most things are are going well (sums, products, derivatives, integrals, series, expansion, complex analysis, factoring basic expressions, etc.). However, I am having difficulty with one key area: factoring polynomials (and, by extension, multivariable polynomials).

I have the book Computer algebra : systems and algorithms for algebraic computation by James Davenport, but the described algorithms in the factoring chapter go way over my head once eigenvectors, eigenvectors, determinants, etc. come into play. I have an undergraduate algebra book which I'm using to self-study these topics, but they are relatively difficult to understand without practical experience provided by an actual teacher. Unfortunately, the highest math class in my school is AP BC Calc (which I'm acing by taking naps during class) but it is miles behind any of this stuff.

My system can factor something like ax+ay+az+bx+by+bz into (a+b)(x+y+z) or x^x*ln(x)+x^x into (x^x)(ln(x)+1) by "reverse distribution", but it cannot factor a^2+2ab+b^2 into (a+b)(a+b), for example - and this is a critical requirement for simplification of expressions like sin^4(x)+2sin^2(x)cos^2(x)+cos^4(x) which reduces to 1 when it is factored.

Does anyone here have any experience with factoring polynomials in computer algebra systems, or know anyone that does? Or, perhaps, does anyone have any resources alternative to the aforementioned book? I do realize that this is a math and physics forum which is not necessarily related to software engineering, but I figured perhaps someone could point me in the right direction regarding only the math, whereas I could easily handing the actual programming.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Factorization of polynomials is in general hard to do, will say impossible in most cases. Normally you want to factor a polynomial in linear or at most quadratic factors. Therefore one needs the zeros, which can only be calculated up to degree four, or numerically by algorithms for approximations. You could as well plot the polynomial and read out the zeroes.

For a multivariate polynomial use the fact that ##\mathbb{Q}[x_1,\ldots ,x_n]=(\mathbb{Q}[x_1,\ldots ,x_{n-1}])[x_n]## which gives you an iteration.

1. What is factoring multivariable polynomials?

Factoring multivariable polynomials is the process of breaking down a polynomial with more than one variable into simpler terms. This can help simplify expressions and solve equations involving multiple variables.

2. How do I factor a multivariable polynomial?

To factor a multivariable polynomial, you can use techniques such as grouping, factoring by grouping, or the AC method. These methods involve finding common factors among the terms and factoring them out to simplify the expression.

3. What is the difference between factoring single variable and multivariable polynomials?

The main difference between factoring single variable and multivariable polynomials is the number of variables involved. Single variable polynomials only have one variable, while multivariable polynomials have two or more variables. This means that you may need to use different factoring techniques for each type of polynomial.

4. Why is factoring multivariable polynomials important?

Factoring multivariable polynomials is important because it allows us to simplify complicated expressions and solve equations with multiple variables. This can make problem-solving and mathematical calculations much easier and more efficient.

5. Can all multivariable polynomials be factored?

No, not all multivariable polynomials can be factored. Some polynomials may have complex or irrational roots, which cannot be factored using traditional methods. In these cases, other techniques such as the quadratic formula or completing the square may be used to simplify the expression.