Factoring Polynomials: A Faster Way!

In summary, the expression \left(x+\frac{5}{6}\right)\left(x-\frac{27}{16}\right) is equivalent to $96x^2-82x-135$. The way to transform this to $96x^2-82x-135$ is to use the quadratic formula.
paulmdrdo1
Hello!

I just want to know the faster way to factor the expression. I already factored it out using trial and I am hoping you could give me some tricks to go about it faster than the usual method. Thanks

$192x^3-164x^2-270x$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We see that $2x$ is a factor of all 3 terms, so we may write:

\(\displaystyle 2x(96x^2-82x-135)\)

Now, on the quadratic factor, I would use the quadratic formula to determine the roots:

\(\displaystyle x=-\frac{5}{6},\,\frac{27}{16}\)

And since \(\displaystyle 96=6\cdot16\), we can write:

\(\displaystyle 2x(6x+5)(16x-27)\)

Factoring polynomials is a process fraught with peril, it might be that all our attempts end in failure.

If one assumes (because maybe your instructor has told you so) that a polynomial *does* indeed have a factorization, we can use a tool called "the rational root test", which tells us that any (non-zero) root (and there might not be any) in the rationals is of the form:

$\pm\dfrac{p}{q}$

where $p$ is an integer that divides 135, and $q$ is an integer that divides 96 (because of MarkFL's factoring out the $2x$).

This still leaves several possibilities to be checked out with "trial and error", but it at least cuts down on the sheer number of tries.

The long and short of this is:

with a polynomial of degree 3, "guess and check" for the rational roots is probably the fastest (the "formula" for cubics is pretty nasty),

with a polynomial of degree 2, the quadratic formula is usually your friend (unless you can "see" the factorization at once).

Factoring polynomials of degree 4 is often *very* difficult (unless there's no $x^3$ and $x$ terms), and factoring polynomials of degree 5 is often a lost cause.

Hello!

From what MarkFl provided, he used the quadratic formula to find the roots of $96x^2-82x-135$
Since the roots are x = -5/6 and x = 27/16 I am thinking that the factored form of $96x^2-82x-135$
Would be $(x+\frac{5}{6})(x-\frac{27}{16}) = (\frac{(6x+5)(16x-27)}{96})$
So the completely factored form of the entire expression could be

$(\frac{(6x+5)(16x-27)x}{48})$

I know it is wrong but can you tell me why?

You are correct when you state:

\(\displaystyle \left(x+\frac{5}{6}\right)\left(x-\frac{27}{16}\right)=\frac{(6x+5)(16x-27)}{96}\)

However, the LHS is equal to:

\(\displaystyle \frac{96x^2-82x-135}{96}\)

Therefore:

\(\displaystyle 96x^2-82x-135=(6x+5)(16x-27)\)

You see for any roots of a quadratic (or any polynomial), there are an infinite number of polynomials having those roots. In the case of the quadratic, let's say it has the roots $r_1,\,r_2$. Then the family of quadratics having those two roots is given by:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=k(x-r_1)(x-r_2)\) where \(\displaystyle 0\ne k\)

Does that make sense?

MarkFL said:
You are correct when you state:

\(\displaystyle \left(x+\frac{5}{6}\right)\left(x-\frac{27}{16}\right)=\frac{(6x+5)(16x-27)}{96}\)

However, the LHS is equal to:

\(\displaystyle \frac{96x^2-82x-135}{96}\)

Therefore:

\(\displaystyle 96x^2-82x-135=(6x+5)(16x-27)\)

You see for any roots of a quadratic (or any polynomial), there are an infinite number of polynomials having those roots. In the case of the quadratic, let's say it has the roots $r_1,\,r_2$. Then the family of quadratics having those two roots is given by:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=k(x-r_1)(x-r_2)\) where \(\displaystyle 0\ne k\)

Does that make sense?

Hello!
From what I understand when you know the roots of a certain polynomial we can use those roots to get the factored form a that polynomial.
Is the expression \(\displaystyle \left(x+\frac{5}{6}\right)\left(x-\frac{27}{16}\right)\) equivalent to $96x^2-82x-135$? And if it is how do we transform it to $96x^2-82x-135$

Please bear with me.

1. What is factoring polynomials?

Factoring polynomials is the process of breaking down a polynomial equation into its simplest form by finding its factors. These factors are expressions or numbers that, when multiplied together, result in the original polynomial.

2. Why is factoring polynomials important?

Factoring polynomials is important because it allows us to solve equations and understand the behavior of polynomial functions. It also helps us to simplify complex expressions and identify patterns in data.

3. What is the traditional method of factoring polynomials?

The traditional method of factoring polynomials involves using techniques such as the distributive property, the difference of squares, and the grouping method. This method can be time-consuming and may not work for all types of polynomial equations.

4. How does "Factoring Polynomials: A Faster Way!" differ from the traditional method?

"Factoring Polynomials: A Faster Way!" is a scientific approach that uses algorithms and computer programs to factor polynomials more efficiently. It involves identifying common patterns and using techniques such as synthetic division and the quadratic formula to factor polynomials.

5. Can factoring polynomials be used in real-life situations?

Yes, factoring polynomials has many real-life applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to solve problems involving rates, distances, and areas. It is also used in cryptography and data compression algorithms.