Factors Affecting Equilibrium Questions.

In summary: Have you heard about water ion product?In summary, when NaOH is added to a system equilibrium shifts left, increasing the concentration of H+ and lowering the concentrations of Mg2+ and partial pressure of the H2.
Speedking96

Homework Statement

1) Equilibrium is achieved in a closed system where metallic Mg can react with HCl(aq) according to the following net chemical equation:

Mg(s) + 2 H+(aq) <--> Mg+2(aq)+ H2(aq)

A sodium hydroxide, NaOH(s), pellet is added to this system. What happens to the
concentration of each of the species in the net equation?

I don't know if I am correct, but does NaOH(s) act as a catalyst in this reaction?

2) Moles of argon gas are added to the following equilibrium system, predict the direction of the equilibrium shift.

2 NO2 (g) ↔ N2O4 (g)

The addition of argon gas would increase pressure, thus the products would be favored.

Physics news on Phys.org
#2...you are correct.
#1...please explain why you think NaOH (a strong base) catalyzes the reaction?
Pure water has the following equilibrium reaction HOH ⇌ H⁺ +OH⁻
What will adding NaOH do to that equilibrium?

Speedking96 said:
Mg(s) + 2 H+(aq) <--> Mg+2(aq)+ H2(aq)

A sodium hydroxide, NaOH(s), pellet is added to this system. What happens to the
concentration of each of the species in the net equation?

I don't know if I am correct, but does NaOH(s) act as a catalyst in this reaction?

No, but concentration of one of the ions involved will substantially change. Have you heard about water ion product?

2) Moles of argon gas are added to the following equilibrium system, predict the direction of the equilibrium shift.

2 NO2 (g) ↔ N2O4 (g)

The addition of argon gas would increase pressure, thus the products would be favored.

Equilibrium doesn't depend on total pressure, it depends on partial pressures of the gases involved in the reaction. Have they changed?

Borek said:
No, but concentration of one of the ions involved will substantially change. Have you heard about water ion product?

Equilibrium doesn't depend on total pressure, it depends on partial pressures of the gases involved in the reaction. Have they changed?

1. No, I didn't know about the water ion product; but after reading the link, I see that there is a dissociation.
H2O <--> H+ + OH-

The addition of NaOH:

H2O + NaOH (s) <--> H+ + OH- + Na+ + OH-

I don't know where to go from here

2. The partial pressures have not changed, therefore it does not affect the equilibrium.

Speedking96 said:
1. No, I didn't know about the water ion product; but after reading the link, I see that there is a dissociation.
H2O <--> H+ + OH-

What happens to the concentration of H+ when you add OH-?

The partial pressures have not changed, therefore it does not affect the equilibrium.

And that's the correct answer.

Borek said:
What happens to the concentration of H+ when you add OH-?

And that's the correct answer.

The concentration decreases because the OH- will be used up with the H+ to maintain equilibrium.

Mg(s) + 2 H+(aq) <--> Mg+2(aq)+ H2 (aq)

H2O <--> H+ + OH-

NaOH (s) <--> Na+(aq) + OH-(aq)

Should I write the net equation to find the overall effect on each of the species?

Speedking96 said:

What happens to the equilibrium when the concentration of H+ goes down?

Borek said:
What happens to the equilibrium when the concentration of H+ goes down?

Equilibrium shifts left.

Mg concentration remains the same; H+ concentration goes up; Mg+2 concentration decreases, H2 concentration decreases.

Speedking96 said:

Equilibrium shifts left.

Yes.

H+ concentration goes up

That's the only part I disagree with - we already established that it goes down, which is a driving force of the equilibrium shift.

I understand where you come from with this statement, it is just off in the context.

Likes 1 person
Borek said:
Yes.

That's the only part I disagree with - we already established that it goes down, which is a driving force of the equilibrium shift.

I understand where you come from with this statement, it is just off in the context.

I see, so would it be wrong to say it's increasing? From what I understand, we did establish is was decreasing, but at the same time, with the left shift, wouldn't it increase again?

Thank you for your help.

IMHO correct way to describe the situation is to say that H+ goes down after NaOH addition, shifting equilibrium to the left, and lowering concentrations of Mg2+ and partial pressure of the H2. Don't mention H+ again.

Ok, I see what you mean. However, the question specifically asks for the concentration of each species.
I think it would be best to write it as: initially the concentration decreases but later increases due to the shift.

What is equilibrium and why is it important in chemistry?

Equilibrium is a state in which the forward and reverse reactions in a chemical system occur at equal rates, resulting in no overall change in the concentrations of reactants and products. This is important because it allows for a stable and predictable system, which is essential for many chemical processes to occur.

What are the main factors that can affect equilibrium?

The main factors that can affect equilibrium are temperature, pressure, and concentration. Changes in these factors can shift the equilibrium position, altering the concentrations of reactants and products in the system.

How does temperature affect equilibrium?

In general, an increase in temperature will shift the equilibrium position in the direction of the endothermic reaction (the reaction that absorbs heat). This is because an increase in temperature provides more energy for the reactant molecules to overcome the activation energy and form products. On the other hand, a decrease in temperature will shift the equilibrium position in the direction of the exothermic reaction (the reaction that releases heat).

How does pressure affect equilibrium?

In a gaseous reaction, an increase in pressure will shift the equilibrium position in the direction of the reaction that produces fewer moles of gas. This is because an increase in pressure will decrease the volume of the container, causing the reaction to shift in the direction that produces fewer gas molecules in order to reach a new equilibrium.

How does concentration affect equilibrium?

An increase in the concentration of a reactant will shift the equilibrium position in the direction of the products, while an increase in the concentration of a product will shift the equilibrium position in the direction of the reactants. This is because an increase in concentration will disrupt the equilibrium and cause the reaction to shift in the direction that reduces the concentration of the added substance.