Factors determining the sensitivity of a galvanometer

In summary, the displacement of the pointer of a galvanometer connected to a solenoid and a magnet bar entering it to induce an emf is determined by factors such as the rate of change of magnetic flux, the number of turns of the solenoid, the resistance of the solenoid, and the sensitivity of the galvanometer. However, the most appropriate factors for this specific case may include the speed and direction of the magnet's motion, the direction of the magnet's entry and exit from the solenoid, as well as factors related to the solenoid's inductance.
Asmaa Mohammad

Homework Statement

A galvanometer is connected to a solenoid, and there is a magnet bar entering the solenoid to induce an emf. What factors determine the displacement of the pointer of the galvanometer?

Homework Equations

emf (induced) = -N ΔΦ/ Δt
sensitivity of the galvanometer = θ/i

The Attempt at a Solution

That might be an easy question, but my textbook doesn't give me the answer and I would like to make sure of my solution.
When I read the question I though in various factor:
1. The rate of change of magnetic flux.
2. The number of turns of the solenoid.
3. The resistance of the solenoid.
4. The sensitivity of the galvanometer.
I just don't know how to pick the suitable factors to put in my exam, and the most convenient ones for the case mentioned above, i.e. a magnetic bar entering the solenoid to induce an emf.
So what is the best answer to the question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Asmaa Mohammad said:
The rate of change of magnetic flux
Or the speed of the magnet. It is measurable.
Asmaa Mohammad said:
2. The number of turns of the solenoid.
3. The resistance of the solenoid.
4. The sensitivity of the galvanometer.
..and the resistance of the galvanometer.

cnh1995 said:
Or the speed of the magnet. It is measurable.

..and the resistance of the galvanometer.
All of them are appropriate?

You could add the direction of the magnet's motion. Which direction will the galvanometer deflect if the magnet is (1) pushed in, and (2) pulled out? What about the direction of leaving the solenoid in each directon?

Last edited:
Asmaa Mohammad said:
All of them are appropriate?
Yes.
Asmaa Mohammad said:
The number of turns of the solenoid.
Or the inductance of the solenoid. It includes all the physical parameters like number of turns, area, length, permeability etc.

Likes Asmaa Mohammad

1. What is a galvanometer?

A galvanometer is a device used to measure small electric currents. It typically consists of a coil of wire suspended between the poles of a magnet, which causes the coil to move when an electric current passes through it.

2. How does a galvanometer work?

A galvanometer works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. When a current flows through the coil, it creates a magnetic field, which interacts with the magnetic field of the permanent magnet, causing the coil to rotate and deflect the needle or pointer on the scale.

3. What factors determine the sensitivity of a galvanometer?

The sensitivity of a galvanometer is determined by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the resistance of the coil. These factors affect the amount of deflection for a given amount of current.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the sensitivity of a galvanometer?

The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the sensitivity of a galvanometer. A stronger magnetic field will result in a larger deflection of the coil for a given amount of current, making the galvanometer more sensitive.

5. Can the sensitivity of a galvanometer be adjusted?

Yes, the sensitivity of a galvanometer can be adjusted by changing the number of turns in the coil or by adding a shunt resistor in parallel with the coil. Increasing the number of turns will increase the sensitivity, while adding a shunt resistor will decrease the sensitivity.