Failure Analysis Reports: Find Quality Pictures & Data

In summary, the conversation was about finding reports of failure analysis for a class assignment. The reports needed to include high quality pictures of the failed component and data, with a focus on metal fatigue and overloading of cables. The use of amorphous materials was not allowed. The person suggested looking into cases of metal fatigue and the Titanic as examples. Google was recommended as the best source for finding reports, but some of the reports lacked data. The person also mentioned aircraft crash reports as a potential source, specifically mentioning the suspension bridge in Washington state as a famous failure with lots of documentation.
Falgata
Hello. My professor has asked the class to find a few reports of failure analysis. We need reports that contains high quality pictures of the failed component and the data of the failed component.

Also we can not have a failure report with amorphous materials(glass, plastics ect)

Links or suggestions of places to look would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
So you're looking for cases of metal fatigue, substitution of aircraft bolt with an automobile bolt―that sort of thing? What about the Titanic, and the use of the wrong steel for its hull?

Yeah. Metal fatigue, overloading of cables and that sort of things.

We need a full failure analysis report to study. We need maybe 7 or 10 reports.

I don't have any details of cases. I mentioned those examples to assist you (and elicit information that will assist others who may come up with suggestions).

Your best source will be google.

I have looked at some of the reports that I found on google and they lacked data.

How about aircraft crash reports? Google finds lots of good stuff on those detailed reports...

probably the most famous failures would be the suspension bridge in Washington state.

this failure has lots of documentation if you go looking for it.

1. What is a Failure Analysis Report?

A Failure Analysis Report is a document that outlines the steps taken to investigate and determine the root cause of a failure in a product or process. It includes detailed information, such as pictures and data, to support the findings.

2. Why is a Failure Analysis Report important?

A Failure Analysis Report is important because it helps identify the cause of a failure and provides valuable insights for preventing similar failures in the future. It also serves as a record for documenting and communicating the findings to stakeholders.

3. What are the key components of a Failure Analysis Report?

The key components of a Failure Analysis Report include a description of the failure, the methodology used for analysis, results and findings, recommendations for improvement, and supporting evidence such as pictures and data.

4. Who typically conducts a Failure Analysis Report?

A Failure Analysis Report is typically conducted by a team of engineers or scientists with expertise in the specific area of the failure. They may also consult with experts from other fields if necessary.

5. How can I find quality pictures and data for a Failure Analysis Report?

There are several ways to find quality pictures and data for a Failure Analysis Report. You can conduct your own experiments and tests, use data from previous analyses, or consult with experts in the field. It is important to ensure that the pictures and data used are accurate, relevant, and properly cited.