Why Do News Broadcasts Mix Up Arctic and Antarctic Wildlife?

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News
In summary, a heart-warming story on the NBC evening news was shared about a 15-year-old girl and her father's ski trip to the North Pole. The purpose of the trip was to highlight the loss of sea-ice in the arctic and the girl wants to provide a documentary film of the trip to schools in the UK and US. However, the NBC segment included unrelated footage of penguins on an ice-floe, causing confusion and frustration. Despite this, the story is still being circulated across different time-zones. The girl did not visit Santa Claus, who was instead in Costa Rica, and the elves were busy making "Made in China" stickers. The conversation also touched on the use of verbs and the English language.
turbo-1 said:
Thanks, lisab. I know that I am not crazy, but that clip was just out of this (rational) world. I'm certain that the penguins featured prominently in that 15-year-old girl's trek to the North Pole, if only the NBC producers could educate us dummies.

It's a shame that she probably had some really cool footage they could have used, and instead they resorted to some stock footage, probably to avoid paying a 15 year old royalties.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good catch Turbo! I saw the news spot but didn't notice the blooper.

Geez, guys. Try reading a book once in a while ... like Mr Popper's Penguins.

Hmmm, it turns out that was a children's fiction book, not a documentary. How depressing. :frown:

Last edited:
Back