Fall 2016 Schedule: Preparing to Transfer for Fall 2017

In summary, the person is trying to plan their potential fall 2016 schedule and is considering taking two science courses at once, specifically Calculus 2, Physics 1, General Chemistry 2, and Discrete Mathematics. They are also considering transferring to a university for fall 2017 and want to know which option would be best for them. They are a meteorology major and are wondering if they should take Chem 2 even though it is not required for their major. They are also double majoring in math and have already completed most of their general education requirements. They are unsure if they can handle 16 units but are considering it. They are also asking for advice on whether it is common for STEM majors to take two science
Geo_Zegarra2018
I know it's really early in the year, but I want to have some opinion of my POTENTIAL fall 2016 schedule. No harsh comments.Taking calc 1 over the summer. I've been preparing since of December as I've been practicing my algebra skills. I'm taking Precalc this semester! There will be two schedules I will put down.

1) Calculus 2: 4 Credits
Physics 1: 4 credits (will be taking this at Utica college)
General Chemistry 2: 4 credits
Discrete Mathematics: 4 credits
= 16 credits

2) Calculus 2: 4 credits
Physics 1: 4 credits
= 12 credits

thanks all!

Trying to transfer for Fall 2017! Spring 2017 will be my last at CC. Going to apply to Penn State this coming September.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have asked for this to be moved to a more appropriate place

Thank you. I didn't know where to put it.

Geo_Zegarra2018 said:
I know it's really early in the year, but I want to have some opinion of my POTENTIAL fall 2016 schedule. No harsh comments.Taking calc 1 over the summer. I've been preparing since of December as I've been practicing my algebra skills. I'm taking Precalc this semester! There will be two schedules I will put down.

1) Calculus 2: 4 Credits
Physics 1: 4 credits (will be taking this at Utica college)
General Chemistry 2: 4 credits
= 16 credits

2) Calculus 2: 4 credits
Physics 1: 4 credits
= 12 credits

thanks all!

Trying to transfer for Fall 2017! Spring 2017 will be my last at CC. Going to apply to Penn State this coming September.

So you're wondering if you should take chem or not? You should take chem.

If you're asking about the change in units, I don't know you, or how much you can handle. That's a question to ask yourself.

I would switch discrete mathematics out with a general ed. It would help to take Linear Algebra and Discrete Mathematics together. Because you will be learning to write proofs in both of these classes, so you can twice the feedback from professors. Taking Linear Algebra, before Calculus 3, helps with the intuition behind some of the results in Calculus 3.

Calculus 3 and Differential equations can be taken together. Or you can take Differential Equations and Linear Algebra together. Your schedule is normal.

I won't stay that long to take discrete math and linear algebra at my community college. Can linear algebra is offered in the spring only and discrete math in the fall so it won't work any ways for me. Unless I take them at a four year school. My major requires only one chemistry class which I'm taking this semester. But I really want to take chem 2 because I feel like it will prepare me even more. I'm. Meteorology major hoping to transfer to penn state

Geo_Zegarra2018 said:
I won't stay that long to take discrete math and linear algebra at my community college. Can linear algebra is offered in the spring only and discrete math in the fall so it won't work any ways for me. Unless I take them at a four year school. My major requires only one chemistry class which I'm taking this semester. But I really want to take chem 2 because I feel like it will prepare me even more. I'm. Meteorology major hoping to transfer to penn state
Do meteorology majors need discrete mathematics?

I'm double majoring in math and Meteorology/

Geo_Zegarra2018 said:
I'm double majoring in math and Meteorology/
Ah, alright.

I'm thinking of doing option 2

Since you are double majoring in mathematics, wouldn't adding an extra semester at the community college be cheaper? You can get all of the Math out the way, and start with Real Analysis etc at the university.

Since you are majoring in Math, most schools require you to take Calculus 3 and ODE. Are you even done with all your general ed? If not knock it out the way.

MidgetDwarf said:
Since you are double majoring in mathematics, wouldn't adding an extra semester at the community college be cheaper? You can get all of the Math out the way, and start with Real Analysis etc at the university.

Since you are majoring in Math, most schools require you to take Calculus 3 and ODE. Are you even done with all your general ed? If not knock it out the way.

After this semester I will have all my gen eds done expect for my arts which I will take it at penn state. By the time, I will be transferring I will have calculus 3. I can't stay longer so my goal is to transfer by spring 2017. That's why I'm asking which option will best fit for me.

Note: Penn State Meteorology only requires one chemistry course( which I'm taking this semester) but I really want to take Chem 2. It Will probably be my last chance to taking it.

Geo_Zegarra2018 said:
After this semester I will have all my gen eds done expect for my arts which I will take it at penn state. By the time, I will be transferring I will have calculus 3. I can't stay longer so my goal is to transfer by spring 2017. That's why I'm asking which option will best fit for me.

Note: Penn State Meteorology only requires one chemistry course( which I'm taking this semester) but I really want to take Chem 2. It Will probably be my last chance to taking it.

The option is yours, do you feel comfortable doing 16 units or not.

I feel like i can do it. if you are a stem major, is it common to take two sciences at once? I never took two at once.

1. What is the purpose of the Fall 2016 Schedule?

The Fall 2016 Schedule is designed to help students who plan on transferring to a new college or university in Fall 2017. It provides a clear roadmap of the courses and requirements that need to be completed in order to smoothly transition to a new institution.

2. How do I know which courses to take for my intended major?

The best way to determine the courses needed for your major is to consult with an academic advisor at your current institution and the admissions office at the college or university you plan on transferring to. They can provide you with a list of required courses and help you create a plan for completing them.

3. Can I take courses at multiple institutions during Fall 2016?

Yes, in most cases, you can take courses at multiple institutions during Fall 2016. However, it is important to check with both schools to ensure that the credits will transfer and count towards your degree requirements.

4. When should I start preparing for the transfer process?

It is recommended to start preparing for the transfer process at least one year in advance. This will give you enough time to research potential colleges, meet with advisors, and complete any necessary applications and requirements.

5. What if I am unsure about my transfer plans for Fall 2017?

If you are unsure about your transfer plans, it is still a good idea to follow the Fall 2016 Schedule as a general guideline. This will help you stay on track with your academic progress and give you more flexibility when making your final decision on where to transfer.