Fall Rate of Objects: Explaining Why Weight Matters

In summary: The correct answer is that the weight of the objects has no effect on the falling rate, as the objects are shaped similarly and are relatively the same weight. The shape and resistance of the objects do not have an effect on the falling rate, as they are similar in shape and the resistance would be roughly the same for both objects. The constraints of the question are vague, and the term "falling rate" is not a scientific term. Dave may have chosen choice #4, but the correct answer tells us that the objects are shaped and sized in a way that the drag force is a function of weight and speed
apathak5025
Hello -

I have a question from a CSET practice exam that I'm having trouble understanding the provided answer.

Q Two items are dropped simultaneously from a ten-story building. The items are shaped similarly and are relatively the same weight. Which of the following statements is correct concerning the rate at which the objects fall?
1. The weight of the objects has no effect on the falling rate.
2. The resistance of the air has no effect on the falling rate.
3. The shape of the objects has no effect on falling rate.
4. The distance of the fall has a major effect on the falling rate.

The answer is 1. Can someone please explain why the other choices are incorrect. I understand that objects weight has no effect on the falling rate of acceleration, but why wouldn't the shape have an effect? The two objects are similar in shape, which would make sense why the it wouldn't have an effect but if one object was to differ in shape, then it would. The same could go for resistance of the air choice. The resistance would be roughly the same for both objects since they are the same shape and weight, but if it was to differ it would have an effect. Is there an easy explanation someone could provide?

Physics news on Phys.org
I strongly dislike this question. The constraints are vague and what kind of scientific term is "falling rate"? I might have answered choice #4!

The choice of correct answer tells us the constraints: the objects are shaped/sized so that drag force is a function of weight (and speed), meaning that at all times you'll end up with the same acceleration with differently weighted objects.

I agree with russ_waters. For example, the weight of the objects would certainly affect their falling rate, but not relative to each other is they are the same weight and shape. On #2, wouldn't they fall faster in a vacuum.

Bad question.

OldYat47 said:
but not relative to each other is they are the same weight and shape

but not relative to each other is they are the same weight and shape, and in an atmosphere

devoid of atmosphere, shape difference is irrelevant :smile:Dave

1. What is the concept of fall rate?

The fall rate of an object refers to the speed at which it falls towards the ground under the influence of gravity.

2. How is weight related to fall rate?

The weight of an object directly affects its fall rate. Heavier objects have a greater gravitational pull towards the ground, causing them to fall faster than lighter objects.

3. What other factors can affect fall rate?

Apart from weight, other factors that can affect fall rate include air resistance, surface area, and the shape of the object. Objects with a larger surface area or streamlined shape will experience more air resistance, slowing down their fall rate.

4. What is the formula for calculating fall rate?

The formula for calculating fall rate is: Fall rate = Square root of (2 x weight x gravity) / (air density x surface area x drag coefficient). This formula takes into account the weight, air resistance, and surface area of the object to determine its fall rate.

5. Can the fall rate of objects be altered?

Yes, the fall rate of objects can be altered by changing the weight, surface area, or shape of the object. For example, a parachute can increase the object's surface area and air resistance, slowing down its fall rate.