Free fall does'nt consider weight

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of free fall and how it applies to objects of different weights. It is mentioned that the free fall formula is only accurate if there is no air resistance, but what formula should be used if air resistance is considered? The suggestion is to look into fluid mechanics, specifically drag and terminal velocity.
centenond
Okay so first of all forgive me if I sound dumb, and forgive my english, is not my primary language.

So I know two objects will fall at the same rate if air is excluded, so what I am asumming its that free fall formula is only correct if there's no air, right?
So I am a programmer and I want to implement a little of physics, let's say a object weight 1 pound and another weights 10 pounds, I know it will fall at the same speed/rate , if there's no air? but what if i want to consider air, and weight, the heavier object from my logic will fall faster and will touch the ground faster.

So the free fall formula is not what I am looking for? what formula should i consider?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should consider going through fluid mechanics... the force experienced is directly proportional to velocity...the velocity decreases exponentially until it attains a fixed velocity known as terminal velocity...

centenond said:
So the free fall formula is not what I am looking for? what formula should i consider?
Thanks!

You could start here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics)

1. How is free fall different from falling with weight?

Free fall is the motion of an object under the sole influence of gravity. This means that there are no other forces acting on the object, such as air resistance or friction. Falling with weight, on the other hand, takes into account the mass of the object and the force of gravity, as well as any other forces acting on the object.

2. Why doesn't weight matter in free fall?

In free fall, the only force acting on the object is gravity. Weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object, so in free fall, weight does not matter because it is the only force acting on the object.

3. Can an object with a lot of weight still experience free fall?

Yes, an object with a lot of weight can still experience free fall. As long as the only force acting on the object is gravity, it will be in free fall regardless of its weight.

4. What factors affect the speed of an object in free fall?

The speed of an object in free fall is affected by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), the height from which the object is dropped, and the presence of any other forces such as air resistance.

5. Is there a difference between free fall on Earth and free fall in space?

Yes, there is a difference between free fall on Earth and free fall in space. On Earth, objects experience air resistance which can affect their acceleration and speed in free fall. In space, there is no air resistance so objects will continue to accelerate at a constant rate until they reach a terminal velocity.