Falling and sliding stick (David Morin)

In summary, the equation of translational motion for the center of mass is ##N-mg=ma_y##, and the purpose of ##N ## is only to keep the pivot so that it is still on the rail.
Father_Ing
Homework Statement
See attachment
Relevant Equations
F= ma
Introduction-to-Classical-Mechanics.pdf - Profile 1 - Microsoft​ Edge 05_12_2021 16_29_13 (3).png

In the solution for question ##(a)##, it is written that the equation of translational motion for the center of mass is ##N-mg=ma_y##
Why ##N## is also included inside of the equation? In my opinion, the rail does not exerting force (N) to slow down the mass' acceleration. Instead, the purpose of ##N ## is only to keep the pivot so that it is still on the rail.

Can anyone please explain to me why ##N## is also included in the calculation?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
There must be an upward force at the pivot. Otherwise, the stick would simply be in freefall and the CoM would fall vertically under the force of gravity alone.

Alright...
But, after thinking it over again, why not ##N - mg## = 0?
The stick does not falling freely,but it only rotates. Which means that there is no translational motion.Hence ##a_y = 0##

Father_Ing said:
Alright...
But, after thinking it over again, why not ##N - mg## = 0?
The stick does not falling freely,but it only rotates. Which means that there is no translational motion.Hence ##a_y = 0##
If ##a_y = 0## then the stick will move horizontally! The CoM of the stick must have vertical motion.

Father_Ing said:
the purpose of N is only to keep the pivot so that it is still on the rail.
It is not still. The rail is frictionless, so can only exert a vertical force. What does that tell you about the trajectory of the mass centre of the stick?
And it must exert a vertical force to cause the stick to rotate.

PeroK said:
If ##a_y = 0## then the stick will move horizontally! The CoM of the stick must have vertical motion.
Isn't ##a_y## in post#1 means translational acceleration?
If yes, then having ##a_y= 0## does not means it doesn't have vertical motion since the total acceleration is the sum of translational acc. + rotational acc..

haruspex said:
What does that tell you about the trajectory of the mass centre of the stick?
I think it is the same as a case where the pivot is restrained (because in the post#1 problem, there is only ##mg## and ##N## forces, and no horzontal forces), which is 1/4 of a circle

Father_Ing said:
Isn't ##a_y## in post#1 means translational acceleration?
If yes, then having ##a_y= 0## does not means it doesn't have vertical motion since the total acceleration is the sum of translational acc. + rotational acc..
The stick falls, therefore ##a_y \ne 0##. Assuming ##a_y## refers to the vertical acceleration of the CoM. The vertical acceleration of the bottom of the stick is zero.

If you are talking about rotation about the CoM, then that cannot cancel the translation of the CoM. In this case, the CoM translates (falls); and, the stick rotates about its CoM.

why is the rotation not about the pivot, like in the case where the pivot is restrained?

Father_Ing said:
why is the rotation not about the pivot, like in the case where the pivot is restrained?
It doesn't matter whether you want to think of it as a rotation about one end, or as a rotation about the mass centre plus a vertical motion of that. You cannot get away from the fact that the mass centre accelerates according to the net force. ##\Sigma F=ma##. The mass centre does accelerate downwards, so there is a net vertical force.

Likes PeroK
Father_Ing said:
You can model the system as motion of the pivot and rotation about the pivot. That should give you the same physical solution. In general, you can choose any point on the stick and decompose the motion into translation of that point plus rotation about that point.

In any case, the external forces on the stick are the same: they are ##mg## and ##N##, both vertical. And, that determines the translational (linear) motion of the CoM.

Likes Lnewqban
Father_Ing said:
I think it is the same as a case where the pivot is restrained
It is not. In the fixed pivot case, some of the energy goes into horizontal motion, slowing the descent.

Likes Lnewqban
I see..
So, If I want to assume that it rotates about the pivot, then the eq of the torque will be:
##mg sin\theta \frac L 2 = \frac {mL^2} 3 \alpha##, and we still use the same equation the book uses for translational motion.
Is this true?

Father_Ing said:
I see..
So, If I want to assume that it rotates about the pivot, then the eq of the torque will be:
##mg sin\theta \frac L 2 = \frac {mL^2} 3 \alpha##, and we still use the same equation the book uses for translational motion.
Is this true?
You need to be careful there. The pivot itself is accelerating horizontally. In that reference frame, you would need to add a fictitious horizontal force through the CoM.

Where does the force in horizontal axis come from?
From the body diagram that i made, the only forces that works on the system are ##N## from the floor and ##mg##(both are in vertical axis). Did I miss something?

Father_Ing said:
Where does the force in horizontal axis come from?
From the body diagram that i made, the only forces that works on the system are ##N## from the floor and ##mg##(both are in vertical axis). Did I miss something?
You wanted to use the pivot, which is accelerating to the left. That's a non-inertial frame. Newton's laws do not directly apply in a non-inertial frame. You need to include relevant fictitious forces.

Consider this: imagine the stick is falling horizontal (no pivot, just simple freefall). Now, do an analysis of forces about one end of the stick. There is a torque ##mgL/2## about the end. But, there is no rotation. That illustrates the problem of using an accelerating point on an object (that is not the CoM) and trying to apply Newton's laws.

Likes Lnewqban
PeroK said:
You wanted to use the pivot, which is accelerating to the left.
Oh! It accelerates to the left so that the position of CoM in X direction doesn't move, right?
Also, when calculating the torque, is the fictious force always located at the CoM?

Father_Ing said:
Oh! It accelerates to the left so that the position of CoM in X direction doesn't move, right?
Also, when calculating the torque, is the fictious force always located at the CoM?
The same fictitious force must be applied to each point in the system, so the effect is a single force through the CoM. And, therefore, the addition of the fictitious force does not affect the torque about the CoM - you only need the real forces.

Note: if the pivot is fixed, then it's also an inertial point and we may apply Newton directly.

PeroK said:
Consider this: imagine the stick is falling horizontal (no pivot, just simple freefall). Now, do an analysis of forces about one end of the stick. There is a torque ##mgL/2## about the end. But, there is no rotation. That illustrates the problem of using an accelerating point on an object (that is not the CoM) and trying to apply Newton's laws.
When analyzing the torque about the end, do we take ##\frac 1 3## as the moment of inertia?

Father_Ing said:
When analyzing the torque about the end, do we take ##\frac 1 3## as the moment of inertia?
The only sensible way to solve this problem is to analyse the motion of the CoM and rotation relative to the CoM.

Once you have the correct answer, there is no harm in trying to solve the problem using the accelerating pivot, but given the conceptual problems you have been having that's not a recommended approach.

Thanks for the advice!
The question that I asked in post #19 is when we are solving the freefall stick with assumption that it rotates about the end. We take 1/3 as the moment inertia, right?

Alright! Thanks for your help

When the rod is horizontal at ##\theta = \pi/2##, the vertical acceleration of the mass centre is ##-l\dot{\omega}/2##. The vertical force is ##N - mg##, so\begin{align*}
N - mg &= -\dfrac{ml\dot{\omega}}{2}
\end{align*}The moment about the mass centre is ##G = N l/2##, so \begin{align*}
\dfrac{N l}{2} = \dfrac{1}{12} ml^2 \dot{\omega} \implies \dot{\omega} = \dfrac{6 N}{ml}
\end{align*}which allows you to eliminate ##\dot{\omega}##. For ##(\mathrm{b})##, you should consider energy.

Likes Delta2
Now that I think about it...
Since there is no external forces, the position of CoM in X direction is maintained. To realize this, the end of the rod needs to accelerate to the left. But, where does the force that accelerates the rod's end come from?

Father_Ing said:
Now that I think about it...
Since there is no external forces, the position of CoM in X direction is maintained. To realize this, the end of the rod needs to accelerate to the left. But, where does the force that accelerates the rod's end come from?
The rod as a whole is not going left, so you do not need a force going left. The motion is vertical for the rod as a whole, plus a rotation. The rotation comes from the torque that arises because the normal force is left of the gravitational force.

If it still bothers you when considering the rod as made of small elements, you could say the leftward force on the leftmost element comes from the reaction from the rightward acceleration of the rightmost element, and v.v.

Likes PeroK
... for example, if the rod is spinning with no external forces, then the centripetal force that accelerates each particle must come from internal forces between the particles.

@Father_Ing I think this is quite a tough question!

I am a bit confused..
If we see the the rod as a rigid body that is formed by many particles, N is exerted only to the particle at the end of the rod.In my opinion, N only affects the acceleration of the particle this point (the pivot, or we can also say, the end of the rod). However,in the equation ##N -mg = ma## , I can conclude that N affects the acceleration of the whole particles.

How can N affects the whole particles' acceleration?

Father_Ing said:
I am a bit confused..
If we see the the rod as a rigid body that is formed by many particles, N is exerted only to the particle at the end of the rod.In my opinion, N only affects the acceleration of the particle this point (the pivot, or we can also say, the end of the rod). However,in the equation ##N -mg = ma## , I can conclude that N affects the acceleration of the whole particles.

Because the rod is rigid, so each particle transfers force and torque to the next.

Likes Father_Ing
Father_Ing said:
I am a bit confused..

If you lift a suitcase up by the handle, then the handle doesn't necessarily break off from the rest of the suitcase. And, if you hold a tennis racket by the handle, then the racket head (the bit with the strings) moves as well when you swing the handle.

Have you made any progress at solving this problem?

PeroK said:
Have you made any progress at solving this problem?
Yep! I have made it through the 2nd question. I still have some problems regarding the concepts, though.
haruspex said:
Because the rod is rigid, so each particle transfers force and torque to the next.
So, each particle has a force ##dN## exerted on it, and the value of ##dN## differs from each particle?

Father_Ing said:
So, each particle has a force ##dN## exerted on it, and the value of ##dN## differs from each particle?
Yes, each particle on the rod must be subject to the force required by the constraint that the rod remains rigid. ##N## is an external force applied at the pivot. ##dN## doesn't make sense in this context.

There will be a distribution of internal forces along the rod. If you have calculated the motion of the rod, you may calculate the motion of every point on the rod and hence the force on that point.

The point is that the internal forces cancel (Newton's third law) and the external forces determine the motion. Unless the rod breaks, the internal forces are irrelevant.

Likes Father_Ing
Alright! Thanks.

1. What is the physics behind a falling and sliding stick?

The physics behind a falling and sliding stick is a combination of rotational and translational motion. As the stick falls, it rotates around its center of mass due to the force of gravity. At the same time, friction between the stick and the surface it is sliding on causes it to move in a translational motion.

2. Why does a falling and sliding stick eventually come to a stop?

A falling and sliding stick will eventually come to a stop due to the effects of friction. As the stick slides, it loses energy to friction, causing it to slow down and eventually stop. Additionally, the stick may also collide with other objects or come to rest against a surface, further reducing its motion.

3. How does the length and mass of a stick affect its motion when falling and sliding?

The length and mass of a stick can affect its motion when falling and sliding in several ways. A longer and heavier stick will have a larger moment of inertia, which means it will be more resistant to rotational motion and will take longer to stop spinning. Additionally, a heavier stick will experience more friction and will therefore slow down more quickly.

4. Can a falling and sliding stick experience both static and kinetic friction?

Yes, a falling and sliding stick can experience both static and kinetic friction. As the stick begins to slide, it experiences static friction, which is the force that keeps it from slipping. Once the stick starts to slide, it experiences kinetic friction, which is the force that opposes its motion.

5. How does the angle of the surface affect the motion of a falling and sliding stick?

The angle of the surface can greatly affect the motion of a falling and sliding stick. A steeper angle will result in a faster sliding speed due to the increased component of gravity pulling the stick down the slope. Additionally, a steeper angle may also result in a higher friction force, slowing the stick down more quickly.