Falling Feather and ball in vacuum

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of gravity, air resistance, and buoyancy in relation to objects falling at different speeds in a vacuum and at normal atmospheric pressure. The conversation also briefly touches on Newton's Law of Gravity and Einstein's Theory of General Relativity. It is concluded that Newton's laws are sufficient for explaining the observations in the videos and that understanding these laws is crucial before attempting to understand more complex theories such as general relativity.
Ammar Ahmed
I saw some of these videos showing feather and some balls falling with the same speed in vacuum. But on normal atmospheric pressure they fall depending on their weight.

This is just blowing my mind, WHY is this ?

Does this prove Newtons Law of Gravity is wrong ? Then how is Einstein's Fabric of Time and Space correct ? Because that is the only other explanation i have heard of gravitational pull.

Is it because of Archenemies Law (here air replaced by water), the reason for buoyancy for boats ? No air, no fluid to push upwards (drag). I am sorry i don't remember abbreviations but :

Weight of boat in water = Weight of boat on land - Weight of water replaced by submerged part of the boat

Or simply because of air resistance ?

Or something else i don't know ? But I really want to know.

Just another question, what happens if we compare feather with a helium balloon (if it can stay there, LOL) ?

Thanks in advance for the answer so that I can sleep tonight :) .

Ammar Ahmed

Likes AidenFlamel
Physics news on Phys.org
Ammar Ahmed said:
I saw some of these videos showing feather and some balls falling with the same speed in vacuum. But on normal atmospheric pressure they fall depending on their weight.
simply because of air resistance ?
Yes.

Did you ever try driving a cab and raising your hands or to stick your hand out of a car window?

Nugatory said:
Yes.

Thanks Nugatory, but does it prove that Newton's Law of Gravity is wrong ?

@Orodruin, yes, so this is similar to drag, right ?

Ammar Ahmed said:
does it prove that Newton's Law of Gravity is wrong ?

No, it proves that Newton's law of gravity is right. Newton's laws say that F = ma = GmM/r^2, so the acceleration a = GM/r^2, which is the same for all objects, regardless of their mass m. This is why they fall at the same speed.

Ammar Ahmed said:
Thanks Nugatory, but does it prove that Newton's Law of Gravity is wrong ?
No. Newton's law of gravity says that the gravitational force between two objects is ##Gm_1m_2/r^2##, and that's what the gravitational force is on all the objects in all the videos.

We add to that the force of air resistance (easy to calculate in a vacuum where the air resistance is zero, not so easy on earth) to get the total force on the object, and that's what you're seeing in the videos.

Likes Ammar Ahmed
Just to complete, do we have any equation to find gravitational force from Einsteins Fabric of a Time and Space ?

Ammar Ahmed said:
Just to complete, do we have any equation to find gravitational force from Einsteins Fabric of a Time and Space ?

It is still doubtful if you even have understood what you've been told here based on just simple Newtonian gravity. Have you?

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/why-is-acceleration-due-to-gravity-a-constant/

I strongly suggest you figure this out first before jumping into "Einstein's Fabric of Time and Space", because Special Relativity and General Relativity are not exactly within your reach if you can't understand the simpler explanation yet.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
It is still doubtful if you even have understood what you've been told here based on just simple Newtonian gravity. Have you?

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/why-is-acceleration-due-to-gravity-a-constant/

I strongly suggest you figure this out first before jumping into "Einstein's Fabric of Time and Space", because Special Relativity and General Relativity are not exactly within your reach if you can't understand the simpler explanation yet.

Zz.

I understood Newton's Law, but what confused me was the part that how feather had more speed in vacuum.

Look at me post, the first thing came in my mind was Newtons Law.

The 2nd thing came in my mind was Archemedes principle.

Einsteins explanation (as of i understood so far) is that fabric of time and space is the reason for gravitational force. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Ammar Ahmed said:

Of course we do, but in the situation you are describing, the difference between Newton's laws and Einstein's GR is so small that it is unmeasurable. Newton's laws are all that is needed.

Likes Ammar Ahmed
Ammar Ahmed said:
There is no "fabric of time and space" - that's just an analogy that authors use when they're writing for an audience that lacks the mathematical background to take on the real theory.

There is no gravitational force in general relativity, which is Einstein's theory of gravity - there is gravity, of course, but not gravitational force. However, if you solve the (much more complicated) equations of general relativity, you will find that they accurately predict the motion of objects in a gravitational field. However, there's no point in trying to take on general relativity until you have been through a serious college-level calculus-based physics program, and picked up a few years of math beyond that.

Likes Ammar Ahmed
Perfect. Now i feel quenched.

I am sorry for mixing up these things and that i havnt touched college maths for last 10 years.

I understand tha Einsteins fabric of ts is just an analogy and it is not what it will look like. But just for sack of discussion i used this term.

Ammar Ahmed said:
Perfect. Now i feel quenched.

I am sorry for mixing up these things and that i havnt touched college maths for last 10 years.

I understand tha Einsteins fabric of ts is just an analogy and it is not what it will look like. But just for sack of discussion i used this term.

You also need to understand that, under normal, ordinary situations, Einstein's General and Special relativity CONVERGES to the same description as Newtonian laws! In other words, if Einstein's theories predict something entirely different than Newton's under terrestrial condition, it would have been wrong!

So trying to use SR and GR in the situation you describe is like asking a structural engineer to use SR and GR to design a building. You'll be laughed at!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
So trying to use SR and GR in the situation you describe is like asking a structural engineer to use SR and GR to design a building. You'll be laughed at!

Zz.

Lolz, yup. I am not dumb. In some causes I can expect a punch.

1. What is the concept of "Falling Feather and ball in vacuum" experiment?

The experiment involves dropping a feather and a ball at the same time in a vacuum chamber and observing their motion. This eliminates the effects of air resistance and allows for a better understanding of the concept of gravity.

2. Why is the experiment performed in a vacuum?

The experiment is performed in a vacuum to eliminate the effects of air resistance. In a vacuum, there is no air to slow down the motion of the objects, allowing for a more accurate observation of their acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the result of the experiment?

The result of the experiment is that the feather and the ball will fall at the same rate, regardless of their mass. This demonstrates that in the absence of air resistance, all objects, regardless of their mass, will fall with the same acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does this experiment relate to the theory of gravity?

The experiment supports the theory of gravity proposed by Sir Isaac Newton, which states that all objects in the universe are attracted to each other by the force of gravity. This experiment demonstrates that the acceleration due to gravity is constant for all objects and is not affected by their mass.

5. What are the real-world applications of this experiment?

The understanding gained from this experiment has various real-world applications, such as in the development of space technology, where the effects of gravity need to be considered. It also helps in understanding and predicting the motion of objects in freefall, such as skydiving or bungee jumping.