Falling Meteorite - Gravitation PE + KE

In summary, A satellite in a circular orbit around the Earth is hit by an incoming meteorite. A fragment (m = 65 kg) is ejected in the backwards direction so that it is stationary with respect to the Earth and falls directly to the ground. Its speed just before it hits the ground is 369 m/s. The total work done by gravity on the fragment is 4425232.5 J.
Faint

Homework Statement

A satellite in a circular orbit around the Earth with a radius 1.021 times the mean radius of the Earth is hit by an incoming meteorite. A large fragment (m = 65 kg) is ejected in the backwards direction so that it is stationary with respect to the Earth and falls directly to the ground. Its speed just before it hits the ground is 369 m/s. Find the total work done by gravity on the satellite fragment. RE 6.37 x 10^3 km; Mass of the earth= ME 5.98 x 10^24 kg.

Hint: The work done by gravity must equal the change of potential energy of the satellite fragment. Use the general formula for Gravitational Potential Energy, NOTe: PE = mgh, is only valid for small distances above the surface.

Homework Equations

PE = (-G*ME*m)/(r)
KE = 1/2 * m * v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

PEinitial + KEinitial = PEfinal +KEfinal - W

KEi = 0
PEf = 0

W = KEf - PEi

Work Done = (1/2 * (65) * (369)^2) - (-G*(5.98*10^24)*(65))/(1.021*6.37*10^3)
Work Done = 4425232.5 - (-3.9881408782 * 10^-9)
Work Done = 4425232.5 J

Not sure where I am going wrong for this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Faint! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)

hmm … you're very confused about potential energy and work (and the question isn't helping, by giving too much information)
Faint said:
PEinitial + KEinitial = PEfinal +KEfinal - W

W = KEf - PEi

No, PEi + KEi = PEf + KEf (or ∆KE + ∆PE = 0)

and W = -∆PE …

PE is defined as (minus) the work done by a conservative force (such as gravity).

(so PE can't be defined for a non-conservative force such as friction)

You can calculate W either as -∆PE or (in this case) as ∆KE (since for some reason they've given you the final speed :rolleyes:)

(you're probably being confused by problems such as the work done by friction on a rough slope … in that case, friction and gravity are, illogically, treated differently: friction as a force and gravity as a source of energy :wink:)

tiny-tim said:
You can calculate W either as -∆PE or (in this case) as ∆KE (since for some reason they've given you the final speed :rolleyes:)
I wouldn't use the ∆KE approach to answer this question.

I suspect the very next part of the question (omitted by the OP) is something along the lines of "Explain why your calculated value for work done by gravity differs from work calculated as change in kinetic energy".

tiny-tim said:

Thank you for your help so far. Another question though, if I calculate -∆PE and ∆KE I get the following:
-PE∆ = - (-G*(5.98*10^24)*(65))/(1.021*6.37*103)
-PE∆ = 3.9881408782 * 109 J

∆KE = (1/2 * 65 * 3692)
∆KE = 4425232.5 J

These are two very different answers, which leads me to believe that I am still missing something?

D H said:
I wouldn't use the ∆KE approach to answer this question.

I suspect the very next part of the question (omitted by the OP) is something along the lines of "Explain why your calculated value for work done by gravity differs from work calculated as change in kinetic energy".

This is the only part of this question I have.

Hi Faint! :smile:
Faint said:
These are two very different answers, which leads me to believe that I am still missing something?

No, as D H :smile: hinted at, they will give different answers.

One answer is ∆KE, and the other is -∆PE …

they will only be the same if ∆KE + ∆PE = 0, in other words if (mechanical) energy is conserved.

But this fragment had to fall through the atmosphere (not mentioned in the question!), so it lost some mechanical energy (and heated up instead).

So the ∆PE is only the work done by gravity, while the ∆KE is the total work done (including the work done by friction). :wink:

(And the question only asked for the work done by gravity … the final speed seems to be a red herring :rolleyes:)​

Faint said:
Thank you for your help so far. Another question though, if I calculate -∆PE and ∆KE I get the following:
-PE∆ = - (-G*(5.98*10^24)*(65))/(1.021*6.37*103)
-PE∆ = 3.9881408782 * 109 J

∆KE = (1/2 * 65 * 3692)
∆KE = 4425232.5 J

Yes, you are missing something. You are not calculating ∆PE. You are missing the potential energy at the surface of the Earth.

oops! I missed that! :redface:

Once again, thank you for the help. So would I be correct in saying:

-PE∆ = - (-G*(5.98*10^24)*(65))/(1.021*6.37*103) - (-G*(5.98*10^24)*(65))/(6.37*103)
-PE∆ = -(-3.9881408782 * 1012 - (-4.07189183673*1012))
-PE∆ = -83750958444.1 J
So...
W = 83750958444.1 J ?

Still off, by several orders of magnitude. Look at your units.

Forgot to multiply the radius by 1000 to convert to meters. Got it now, thanks!

1. How do falling meteorites gain kinetic energy?

As a meteorite falls towards the Earth, it gains kinetic energy due to the force of gravity pulling it downwards. This kinetic energy is a result of the meteorite's mass and its velocity.

2. What is the relationship between potential energy and kinetic energy in a falling meteorite?

Potential energy and kinetic energy are both forms of energy that a falling meteorite possesses. The potential energy of a meteorite is converted into kinetic energy as it falls due to the force of gravity. At the point of impact, all of the potential energy has been converted into kinetic energy.

3. How does the mass of a meteorite affect its gravitational potential energy?

The gravitational potential energy of a meteorite is directly proportional to its mass. This means that a larger meteorite will have a greater potential energy as it falls towards the Earth compared to a smaller meteorite.

4. What is the formula for calculating the potential energy of a falling meteorite?

The potential energy of a falling meteorite can be calculated using the following formula: PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the meteorite, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the meteorite above the surface of the Earth.

5. How does air resistance affect the potential and kinetic energy of a falling meteorite?

Air resistance can decrease the potential and kinetic energy of a falling meteorite. As the meteorite falls, it encounters air resistance which slows it down and converts some of its kinetic energy into other forms of energy, such as heat and sound. This means that the meteorite will have less kinetic energy and potential energy when it reaches the Earth's surface compared to if it had no air resistance.