Falling object in gravitation field

In summary, the conversation involved studying the motion of a falling body in Earth's gravitational field without assuming a constant acceleration. The goal was to find the distance traveled in a given time. The formula for acceleration was provided, along with the derivative and integral of that formula. The formula for calculating distance using acceleration and time was also mentioned. It was suggested that the problem could be solved by eliminating certain variables and using integration, but the exact method was not determined. Other potential approaches were also mentioned.
neerajareen
I am trying to study the motion of a falling body in the earth’s gravitational field however not assuming a constant acceleration. I want to work out the distance traveled in a given time.
We know that 
[tex]a = \frac{{GM}}{{{r^2}}}[/tex]
Likewise, we can calculate that
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\frac{{da}}{{dr}} = \frac{{ - 2GM}}{{{r^3}}}\\
da = \frac{{ - 2GM}}{{{r^3}}}dr
\end{array}[/tex]
We also know that [tex]s = \frac{1}{2}a{t^2}[/tex]
. Therefore I’m guessing we can say that
.[tex]s = \frac{{GM}}{{{r^3}}}{t^2}dr[/tex]
I’m thinking we have to do some kind of an integral. How would one tackle this problem?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
##s=\frac{1}{2}at^2## is for a constant acceleration.

Start from:
$$\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}=\frac{GM}{r^2}$$ ... solve the DE to get r(t).

Yup, you'll have to integrate. But you can't have 's', 't' and 'r' in the equation at the same time. You'll have to eliminate one. And in the last equation, it should be

ds = (-GMt^2dr)/r^2

not s =...

neerajareen said:
I am trying to study the motion of a falling body in the earth’s gravitational field however not assuming a constant acceleration. I want to work out the distance traveled in a given time.
We know that 
[tex]a = \frac{{GM}}{{{r^2}}}[/tex]
Likewise, we can calculate that
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\frac{{da}}{{dr}} = \frac{{ - 2GM}}{{{r^3}}}\\
da = \frac{{ - 2GM}}{{{r^3}}}dr
\end{array}[/tex]
We also know that [tex]s = \frac{1}{2}a{t^2}[/tex]
. Therefore I’m guessing we can say that
.[tex]s = \frac{{GM}}{{{r^3}}}{t^2}dr[/tex]
I’m thinking we have to do some kind of an integral. How would one tackle this problem?

Thank you

THank you for bringing that up...I asked the very same question earlier ...2 days ago on this thread...
I think you give a much more succinct and tractable answer than I got before (as long as the acceleration & velocity is along the radius)... however shouldn't your last step say:
.[tex]\frac{{ds}}{{dr}}= \frac{{GM}}{{{r^3}}}{t^2}dr[/tex] since you took the derivative of a on the right side wrt r ?
And that is simply the Keplerian formula if s is pointing along r so ds/dr becomes unity...?

If so then it reminds me of what Halls of Ivy said earlier that it is some sort of elliptical function...which probably is the more general formulation with lateral motion and eccentricity.

If we allow the object to drop through a hole in Earth then it will follow Keplerian motion and oscillate at the same period as if it were orbiting from the same height, r.
I think.

Creator

(opps ; I see I crossed over your last post..Siddaharth; I see you are making my same point.)

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Haha..that's alright. Could you tell me how to write the formulae in a post. I don't know so I have to write like ds/dr :(

[itex] \frac{ds}{dr}[/itex] Gottit!

neerajareen, did you get the answer?

Thank you all for your replies. I understand that we need to eliminate some variables according to what siddharth said. I realize that s is related to r because the distance fallen is along the radius as pointed. But I'm still not sure how to go about doing the integral because R is a function of time as the particle falls isn't it ?

Thinking: isn't ##\small s## a radial displacement? (in context).
Then, ##\small s = r_2-r_1=\Delta r##
... so an infinitesimal radial displacement at time ##\small t##: ##\small ds=r(t+dt)-r(t)=dr## ?

@neerajareen: any of this any use?

Yeah i meant that s and r are related but i still do not know how to solve the DE you said @simon

A lot depends on your requirements - if you want to find r(t) then you need to learn how to solve DEs. :)

There are also approaches that involve finding the momentum as a function of radius.
It is a biggish subject ... see: Tan S. M. http://home.comcast.net/~szemengtan/ClassicalMechanics/SingleParticle.pdf s1.7 (p12).

Last edited by a moderator:
A similar problem was done before. The Kepler based math is shown in post #11, and the math starting with

F = -G m1 m2 / r2

with the closure rate (velocity) between objects defined as v = dr/dt, and accleration as a = dv/dt, resulting in:

a = - G (m1 + m2) / r2

is shown in post #19 of this thread linked to below.

In this case assuming that m1 is the mass of the earth, then m2 can be dropped from the result since it's insignificantly small compared to the mass of the earth.

a = - G M / r2

Link to previous thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=635188

The limits on the final integral will have to be adjusted since the Earth is not a point mass if the goal is to determine the time from some initial distance to impact (assuming no atmosphere).

Related to Falling object in gravitation field

1. How does gravity affect falling objects?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other. When an object is in a gravitational field, such as the Earth's, it will experience a downward acceleration due to the force of gravity. This means that the object will fall towards the center of the gravitation field, increasing in speed as it falls.

2. What factors affect the speed of a falling object?

The speed of a falling object is affected by the mass of the object and the strength of the gravitational field it is falling in. Objects with larger masses will fall faster, and objects in stronger gravitational fields will also fall faster.

3. How does air resistance affect a falling object?

Air resistance is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion through the air. This force increases as the speed of the object increases. In some cases, air resistance can slow down a falling object, making it fall at a slower rate. However, in most cases, the effect of air resistance is negligible compared to the force of gravity.

4. What is terminal velocity and how does it relate to falling objects?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed that a falling object can reach when the force of gravity is balanced by the force of air resistance. Once an object reaches terminal velocity, it will continue to fall at a constant speed, as the two forces are equal. This is why objects like skydivers eventually stop accelerating and fall at a constant speed.

5. How does the height from which an object is dropped affect its speed when it hits the ground?

The height from which an object is dropped does not affect its speed when it hits the ground, as long as there is no air resistance. According to the law of conservation of energy, the potential energy that the object has at the beginning is converted into kinetic energy as it falls. This means that the speed of the object when it hits the ground will be the same regardless of the height it was dropped from.