Family of Circles at Two Points

In summary, the formula for a family of circles intersecting at two points can be derived by allowing variation of a parameter ##\lambda## in the equation of two intersecting circles. This can be shown through the use of linear algebra and vector algebra properties, similar to the derivation of the formula for a family of lines passing through one point. However, a rigorous derivation for this formula is still needed.
Calculuser
As I was flipping through pages of my analytic geometry book from high school, in circle section I stumbled across the formula of "family of circles intersecting at two points" with two circles (##x^2 + y^2 + D_1 x + E_1 y + F_1 = 0## , ##x^2 + y^2 + D_2 x + E_2 y + F_2 = 0##) known to intersect at two points as follows: $$x^2 + y^2 + D_1 x + E_1 y + F_1 + \lambda (x^2 + y^2 + D_2 x + E_2 y + F_2) = 0, \qquad \lambda \setminus \{-1\} \in \mathcal{R}$$ Though at first glance one derivation seems obvious when we just multiply one of those two equations by ##\lambda## and add them up to get the final form, yet this raises a question to me why the final equation involving ##\lambda## has to pass the points that the two circle equations used in its derivation pass.

In light of these, my question is as to a rigorous derivation of this equation in which involves theorems from linear algebra and vector algebra such as linear independence, orthogonality of two vectors by dot product, etc. How can we approach this with respect to what I mentioned above?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Calculuser said:
As I was flipping through pages of my analytic geometry book from high school, in circle section I stumbled across the formula of "family of circles intersecting at two points" with two circles (##x^2 + y^2 + D_1 x + E_1 y + F_1 = 0## , ##x^2 + y^2 + D_2 x + E_2 y + F_2 = 0##) known to intersect at two points as follows: $$x^2 + y^2 + D_1 x + E_1 y + F_1 + \lambda (x^2 + y^2 + D_2 x + E_2 y + F_2) = 0, \qquad \lambda \setminus \{-1\} \in \mathcal{R}$$ Though at first glance one derivation seems obvious when we just multiply one of those two equations by ##\lambda## and add them up to get the final form, yet this raises a question to me why the final equation involving ##\lambda## has to pass the points that the two circle equations used in its derivation pass.
At the intersection, both coordinates fulfill the equations ##C_1(x,y)=0## and ##C_2(x,y)=0##. Thus ##C_1(x,y)+\lambda C_2(x,y) =0## holds, too. In the other direction, you need to allow variation of ##\lambda## in order to conclude that the two summands have to vanish.
In light of these, my question is as to a rigorous derivation of this equation in which involves theorems from linear algebra and vector algebra such as linear independence, orthogonality of two vectors by dot product, etc. How can we approach this with respect to what I mentioned above?
It is not quite clear to me what "derivation" means here. What is the purpose of the entire thing?

fresh_42 said:
It is not quite clear to me what "derivation" means here. What is the purpose of the entire thing?

What I mean by that is a derivation that contains vector and linear algebra properties used as in the derivation of similar problem, "family of lines passing through one point", as shown below even though irrelevant, but I thought useful to share:

Let ##d_1:a_1x+b_1y+c_1=0## and ##d_2:a_2x+b_2y+c_2=0## be two lines passing through ##A(x_0,y_0)##; and ##P(x,y)## be a point on a line, namely ##d:Ax+By+C=0##, from family of lines. Then ##\vec{n_1}=<a_1,b_1>##, ##\vec{n_2}=<a_2,b_2>##, ##\vec{n}=<A,B>## become normal vectors to those lines, respectively. ##\vec{AP}=<x-x_0,y-y_0>## is a vector along line ##d##. For ##d_1## and ##d_2## are not parallel, they are linearly independent; and ##\vec{n}## vector can be written as a linear combination of them as such: $$\vec{n}=k_1\vec n_1+k_2\vec n_2$$
or $$A=k_1a_1+k_2a_2$$ $$B=k_1b_1+k_2b_2$$
##A(x_0,y_0)## satisfies the equations, then: $$c_1=-(a_1x_0+b_1y_0)$$ $$c_2=-(a_2x_0+b_2y_0)$$
We also know ##A(x_0,y_0)## satisfies the equation ##d##, $$Ax_0+By_0+C=0$$
Plugging ##A## and ##B## relations above into ##Ax_0+By_0+C=0##, $$k_1(a_1x_0+b_1y_0)+k_2(a_2x_0+b_2y_0)+C=0$$
or $$-k1c_1-k_2c_2+C=0$$
Then the equation of line ##d## becomes, $$(k_1a_1+k_2a_2)x+(k_1b_1+k_2b_2)y+(k_1c_1+k_2c_2)=0$$
Rearranging terms we get, $$k_1(a_1x+b_1y+c_1)+k_2(a_2x+b_2y+c_2)=0$$
If we define a parameter ##\lambda=\frac{k_2}{k_1}, k_1\neq 0##, then the equation becomes, $$(a_1x+b_1y+c_1)+\lambda (a_2x+b_2y+c_2)=0, \lambda \in \mathbb{R} \setminus 0$$
What I am looking for is such rigorous derivation if possible as exemplified above other than:
fresh_42 said:
At the intersection, both coordinates fulfill the equations ##C_1(x,y)=0## and ##C_2(x,y)=0##. Thus ##C_1(x,y)+\lambda C_2(x,y) =0## holds, too. In the other direction, you need to allow variation of ##\lambda## in order to conclude that the two summands have to vanish.

1. What is the definition of "Family of Circles at Two Points"?

The family of circles at two points is a set of circles that all pass through two given points. These points are known as the center points of the family of circles.

2. How is the family of circles at two points related to conic sections?

The family of circles at two points is a special case of the general conic section, where the two points act as the foci. This means that all circles in the family are actually ellipses, parabolas, or hyperbolas.

3. How many circles are in a family of circles at two points?

There are infinitely many circles in a family of circles at two points. This is because the radius of each circle can vary, resulting in an infinite number of possible circles that pass through the two given points.

4. What is the equation for a circle in the family of circles at two points?

The general equation for a circle in the family of circles at two points is (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) are the coordinates of the center point and r is the radius of the circle.

5. How can the family of circles at two points be used in real-life applications?

The family of circles at two points has many practical applications, such as in optics and satellite communication. It can also be used in navigation and GPS systems to determine the location of an object based on its distance from two known points.