Faraday Cage in Ionic Solution

In summary, the question is whether a faraday cage can interfere with the dispersion of ionic solutions. The conversation also explores the concept of a faraday cage and its conductive properties, as well as the possibility of a solution dispersing differently inside or outside of the cage. There is also mention of the resistance of seawater compared to air. Overall, the question remains unanswered and further input from someone more knowledgeable is needed.
Samson4
Another question and a another terrible illustration.
So my question: do faraday cages interfere with dispersion of ionic solutions?
In the illustration, a chemical reaction or some other cause for a lower concentration of ions is happening inside a faraday cage at B. Will the solution disperse into the cage as if it was not there?

A specific example: Let's say the solution is salt water. Inside the faraday cage, we are somehow removing ions from solution.
Will the ions outside the cage, move inside at a rate different than if there was no cage?

What if we only took positive ions from inside the cage? Now the area inside the cage is negatively charged. Will it stay that way for longer than it would without a cage present?

Untitled.png

Physics news on Phys.org
A Faraday cage is often modeled as an ideal hollow conductor. Hollow in the sense of air or vacuum in the "hollow". So, I do not see that what you have is a Faraday cage. Hopefully someone who knows more can give you a better answer. Also note that seawater has ~.2 Ohms resistance.
Air (standard meteorological atmostphere at STP )has resistance on the order of gigaOhms - circa 2 gOhms which is many orders of magnitude greater than seawater.

jim mcnamara said:
A Faraday cage is often modeled as an ideal hollow conductor. Hollow in the sense of air or vacuum in the "hollow". So, I do not see that what you have is a Faraday cage. Hopefully someone who knows more can give you a better answer. Also note that seawater has ~.2 Ohms resistance.
Air (standard meteorological atmostphere at STP )has resistance on the order of gigaOhms - circa 2 gOhms which is many orders of magnitude greater than seawater.

This is one of the things that puzzles me. I'm thinking that, because they both conduct through the flow of ions, it can be considered a faraday cage. I don't know for sure though, I hope someone can help.

1. What is a Faraday Cage in Ionic Solution?

A Faraday Cage in Ionic Solution is a metal enclosure that can block electromagnetic fields. It is commonly used in scientific experiments and industrial settings to shield sensitive equipment from interference.

2. How does a Faraday Cage in Ionic Solution work?

A Faraday Cage in Ionic Solution works by conducting electric charges around its surface, creating an equal and opposite charge inside the cage. This cancels out the electric field inside the cage, effectively shielding the contents from external electromagnetic fields.

3. What types of materials are used to make a Faraday Cage in Ionic Solution?

The most commonly used materials for a Faraday Cage in Ionic Solution are conductive metals such as copper, aluminum, and steel. These materials are able to effectively block electromagnetic fields.

4. What are the applications of a Faraday Cage in Ionic Solution?

A Faraday Cage in Ionic Solution has various applications in research and industry. It is used in experiments involving electromagnetic radiation, as well as in electronic devices to prevent interference from external sources.

5. Can a Faraday Cage in Ionic Solution protect against all types of electromagnetic radiation?

No, a Faraday Cage in Ionic Solution can only shield against low and mid-frequency electromagnetic fields. It is not effective against high-frequency radiation, such as X-rays or gamma rays.