Faraday cage experiment - Static current

In summary, the conversation revolves around using a Faraday cage to contain waves emitted from a device, specifically a wi-fi router. The question of whether the waves are reflected or absorbed by the cage is raised, and it is explained that both occur depending on the setup. The concern of static current being induced in the cage and potentially causing a dangerous discharge is addressed, with the conclusion that this is not a real concern. It is also suggested that the cage can be grounded to alleviate any worries. Overall, the goal is to conduct the experiment safely and correctly.
kashmiro
Hi everybody. Some expert advice needed here.

I am working into an experiment that consists of putting a wave emitter device (a wi-fi router for example) in a faraday cage so those waves don't spread outside the cage (or I get some attenuation at least). I have some questions:

- First of all, I would like to know if those emitted waves are reflected or absorbed by the Faraday cage.

- If those waves are absorbed as I think, they induce static current in the cage. If the wi-fi router is running for some days and this static current is not discharged properly, this would create any dangerous discharge when someone touching the cage?

- Is there any easy way to discharge the faraday cage? (Any other solution than plug it to the line)

I would be very grateful if you help me with these questions. I want to do the experiment in a correct and safe way :) Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
kashmiro said:
Hi everybody. Some expert advice needed here.

I am working into an experiment that consists of putting a wave emitter device (a wi-fi router for example) in a faraday cage so those waves don't spread outside the cage (or I get some attenuation at least). I have some questions:

- First of all, I would like to know if those emitted waves are reflected or absorbed by the Faraday cage.

Both, in fact. The Faraday cage will impose some boundary conditions which amount to some kind of reflection, but there will be currents induced in the metal, which will also lead to energetic losses and hence absorption. It will depend on the particular setup which is dominant.

- If those waves are absorbed as I think, they induce static current in the cage. If the wi-fi router is running for some days and this static current is not discharged properly, this would create any dangerous discharge when someone touching the cage?

No, not at all. There won't be any "static current", at most erratic currents, but there will not be any charge accumulation.

- Is there any easy way to discharge the faraday cage? (Any other solution than plug it to the line)

You can ground it (always a good idea, except for mobile applications), but your worry is not real in that what happens inside the cage won't "charge" it.

Related to Faraday cage experiment - Static current

What is a Faraday cage?

A Faraday cage is a metal enclosure that is designed to block or reduce the effects of an external static electric field. It was named after scientist Michael Faraday who first discovered the concept in the 19th century.

How does a Faraday cage work?

A Faraday cage works by conducting the static electric charge around the exterior of the cage, leaving the interior of the cage unaffected by the electric field. This is known as the Faraday cage effect.

What is the purpose of a Faraday cage experiment?

The purpose of a Faraday cage experiment is to demonstrate the principles of electricity and how a Faraday cage can block or reduce the effects of static electric fields.

How is a Faraday cage experiment conducted?

A Faraday cage experiment involves placing an object inside a metal enclosure and then exposing it to a static electric field. The object inside the cage should remain unaffected by the electric field, while an object outside the cage will experience the effects of the electric field.

What are the real-world applications of a Faraday cage?

Faraday cages have a variety of practical uses, such as protecting sensitive electronic equipment from electromagnetic interference, shielding sensitive information from electronic eavesdropping, and safety measures for workers in industries dealing with high-voltage electricity.