Faraday cage to block cellphone/Wifi?

In summary, Dave is considering building a straw bale home and plans to use chicken wire on the walls for plastering. He was wondering if he could make his house a big Faraday cage capable of blocking Wifi and cellphone signals from the outside by covering all of the inside walls with chicken wire. He doubts that he needs anything like that kind of coverage in order to get a big reduction in signal strength. Most good radios that he's familiar with can work reasonably down to -70dB from full signal strength. Dave was wondering if he could make his house a big Faraday cage capable of blocking Wifi and cellphone signals from the outside by covering all of the inside walls with chicken wire. He doubts that he needs anything like that
Philippe Elskens
Hi,
I was wondering if I could make my house a big Faraday cage capable of blocking Wifi and cellphone signals from the outside by covering all of the inside walls with chicken wire? How big of a problem is it that windows would stay uncovered? Or that electrical wiring inside the wall (so outside of the F cage) would come inside to the wall sockets (so penetrate the cage)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Philippe Elskens said:
Hi,
I was wondering if I could make my house a big Faraday cage capable of blocking Wifi and cellphone signals from the outside by covering all of the inside walls with chicken wire? How big of a problem is it that windows would stay uncovered? Or that electrical wiring inside the wall (so outside of the F cage) would come inside to the wall sockets (so penetrate the cage)?
Welcome to the PF.

Openings in the shield degrade its effectiveness, and any wires that come in from outside without being filtered will also degrade the shielding effect. Also, you would need to weld the seams of the wire mesh where they come together, in order to have a good continuous conductor. Look at these shielded rooms:

http://www.ets-lindgren.com/RFShieldedEnclosures

Is there a reason that you don't want to have cell phone or WiFi reception inside your home? :smile:

Philippe Elskens said:
Hi,
I was wondering if I could make my house a big Faraday cage capable of blocking Wifi and cellphone signals from the outside by covering all of the inside walls with chicken wire?

berkeman said:
Is there a reason that you don't want to have cell phone or WiFi reception inside your home? :smile:
looking forward to a response to that as well :wink:Dave

davenn said:
looking forward to a response to that as well :wink:Dave

Obviously he's developing an 802.11 chipset... :wink:

Likes davenn
berkeman said:
Openings in the shield degrade its effectiveness, and any wires that come in from outside without being filtered will also degrade the shielding effect. Also, you would need to weld the seams of the wire mesh where they come together, in order to have a good continuous conductor. Look at these shielded rooms:

I doubt that you need anything like that kind of coverage in order to get a big reduction in signal strength.

bcrowell said:
I doubt that you need anything like that kind of coverage in order to get a big reduction in signal strength.
Most good radios that I'm familiar with can work reasonably down to -70dB from full signal strength. That's a lot of needed attenuation to block a signal.

TBH, I don't know how much attenuation is needed for cell phones and WiFi though. Guess I'll do a little searching... :smile:

bcrowell said:

You'd be surprised. My phone works reasonably well inside our shielded room unless absolutely everything is closed and properly sealed. Even the small hatches we sometimes use to get temporary cables in/out of the room need to be sealed up.
Having the phone on inside the room DOES drain the battery of the phone since it needs to increase the power it uses; but it does work.
Phones and WiFi uses all sorts of tricks to get a good connection even under very bad conditions.

Likes berkeman
f95toli said:
Phones and WiFi uses all sorts of tricks to get a good connection even under very bad conditions.

but it still can't get 15 - 20m range from one side of my home to the other, with only a couple of dry walls in between ... go figure ??Dave

Likes phinds
Hmm, ok, thanks for the answers!

My plan is to construct a straw bale building. It is recommended to use chicken wire on the walls for plastering. So that is the reason why I'm doing this:-) I was just thinking that it might act as a Faraday cage, which could be an additional advantage with regard to possible health effects...

I would like the washrooms at my university to be enclosed in Faraday cages.

Likes analogdesign and berkeman

1. What is a Faraday cage?

A Faraday cage is a structure made of conductive materials that can block or reduce the effects of electromagnetic fields. It works by creating a barrier that prevents external electromagnetic waves from reaching the interior of the cage.

2. How does a Faraday cage block cellphones and Wifi?

A Faraday cage works by conducting electromagnetic waves around the exterior of the cage, preventing them from reaching the interior. This means that cellphones and Wifi signals, which are also electromagnetic waves, cannot pass through the cage and are effectively blocked.

3. Is a Faraday cage effective in blocking all types of electromagnetic radiation?

No, a Faraday cage is not effective in blocking all types of electromagnetic radiation. It can only block low-frequency electromagnetic waves, such as those used for cellphones and Wifi. Higher frequency waves, such as X-rays and gamma rays, can still penetrate through the cage.

4. Can a Faraday cage completely eliminate all cellphone and Wifi signals?

No, a Faraday cage cannot completely eliminate all cellphone and Wifi signals. It can significantly reduce the strength of the signals, but some may still leak through depending on the quality and construction of the cage.

5. Are there any potential health risks associated with using a Faraday cage to block cellphones and Wifi?

No, there are no known health risks associated with using a Faraday cage to block cellphones and Wifi. However, it is important to note that completely blocking all signals may also prevent you from making emergency calls or connecting to the internet during emergencies.