Faraday Rotator: Optics for Amplifying Laser Light

• Thread starter SchroedingersLion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Faraday
In summary, a Faraday rotator can be used as a countermeasure to amplified spontaneous emission (ASE) in a laser amplifier. It works by blocking any linearly polarized light that is reflected back towards the amplifier, thus preventing the ASE from being amplified further. This is due to the pseudo-vector nature of a magnetic field, which causes the polarization rotation direction to be reversed for a beam propagating in the reverse direction. However, a saturable absorber may also be needed at low power to block backward-traveling ASE from subsequent stages.
SchroedingersLion
Hi, another optics question:

In the amplifier of a Laser one can have amplified spontaneous emission (ASE) which is an undesired effect. One of my sheets (appended) suggests one can take countermeasures with so called Faraday rotators.
But the way I understand it, these optical isolators will just stop light from coming back - so not only the ASE light but also the ordinary laser light. But isn't the whole principle of an amplifier to send the light back and forth through the medium in order to increase the intensity via stimulated emission?
If I just wanted to cut off ASE light between two amplifiers, I could simply use an ordinary polarizer, couldn't I?

Regards

Attachments

• Unbenannt.PNG
    Unbenannt.PNG
    52.5 KB · Views: 608
Physics news on Phys.org
SchroedingersLion said:
I don't see how such a rotator would help vs ASE...
It seems to apply only to polarized light. Similiar action as the reflection of a circularly polarized beam being reflected with the opposite handedness.

from your reference, https://books.google.de/books?id=3R...e&q=laser amplifier static decoupling&f=false

Pg. 11, Sec 1.5.1.1 Static Decoupling. "...a Faraday polarizer can be used to stop any return of linearly polarized light."..."Owing to the pseudo-vector nature of a magnetic field, the polarization rotation direction is reversed for a beam propagating in the reverse direction."[/I]

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks for the reply!

So my current interpretation is this: Assume we have two spatially separated, otherwise identical, gain media. Between them is a faraday rotator.
The first polarizer of the rotator only allows light with a certain polarization to pass - the signal. Most of the ASE gets blocked. The signal enters the second medium for further amplification. The part of the signal that is scattered back by the second medium towards the rotator gets blocked by the rotator (since the rotation of the polarization plane is reversed for the opposite propagation direction). Also, all spontaneous emission created in the second medium towards the first medium can't pass the rotator (since 99% won't have the correct polarization). In total, only my signal goes from medium to medium and gets amplified.
Do you agree?

The article is saying is that any reflection back toward the first amplifier is blocked. The last sentence of the section says: Therefore the linear polarization of a reflected beam is rotated 90° and can be stopped by an analyzer.
SchroedingersLion said:
Also, all spontaneous emission created in the second medium towards the first medium can't pass the rotator (since 99% won't have the correct polarization).
That could apply only if the ASE from the second stage is polarized, but ASE does not have phase coherence.

Pg. 12, Sec 1.5.1.2 Dynamic Decoupling seems to cover that scenario using a Saturable Absorber; a material that changes it's absorption inversely with the applied power. The backward-traveling ASE from the subsequent stage, being low power, will be preferentially blocked.

Don't know why both a Faraday rotator and a Saturable Absorber would be needed at low power, maybe they aren't. This has gotten deeper into the subject than my laser optics knowledge goes. (I'm learning along with you on this!) Hopefully someone with a deeper understanding can jump in and follow up with you. If there aren't any other replies in a few days and you need to follow this more deeply, post here again and I will try to recruit some more assistance for you.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom, thanks again!

As I already had my (luckily successful) oral examination, I will not have the time to spend more work on this. But in case someone is knowledgeable on this, I would still be happy to read the answer. I might ask the lecturer if I see her sitting in her office next time I walk by the room and, in this case, will let you know.

Regards,
SL

Likes Tom.G

1. What is a Faraday rotator?

A Faraday rotator is an optical element that rotates the polarization of light passing through it. It is typically made of a material with a high Verdet constant, allowing it to rotate the polarization of light in the presence of a magnetic field.

2. How does a Faraday rotator work?

A Faraday rotator works by utilizing the Faraday effect, which states that the rotation of polarization is proportional to the strength of the magnetic field and the distance the light travels through the material. A Faraday rotator is placed in a magnetic field, and as light passes through it, the polarization is rotated in the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What is the purpose of a Faraday rotator in amplifying laser light?

A Faraday rotator is used in laser amplifiers to control the polarization of the light. By rotating the polarization, the light can be directed into the amplifier and then rotated back to its original polarization after amplification. This ensures that the amplified light is coherent and maintains its original properties.

4. What types of lasers can benefit from a Faraday rotator?

Faraday rotators are commonly used in solid-state and fiber lasers, including Nd:YAG, Nd:YVO4, and Ti:sapphire lasers. They can also be used in gas lasers such as HeNe and argon lasers.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Faraday rotator in laser amplifiers?

One limitation of using a Faraday rotator is that it is only effective for controlling the polarization of light with a specific wavelength. If the laser produces light with multiple wavelengths, a combination of Faraday rotators and waveplates may be needed to achieve the desired polarization control. Additionally, Faraday rotators can only rotate the polarization in one direction, so a second rotator may be needed for bidirectional amplification.