Fast Q-switching of flash pumped Nd:YLF laser

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in the "Problems in Lasers Physics" book and the solution presented in it. The question is about the calculation of A_b, the laser beam area inside the crystal, and the reasoning behind dividing by 2 in the equation. The conversation also mentions the definition of the normalized intensity profile for a gaussian beam and suggests checking the authors' definition of the gaussian beam profile.
ppedro
Hi friends!

I solved the problem 8.3 of ``Problems in Lasers Physics'' book (by Cerullo, Longhi, Nisoli, Stagira and Svelto) but I think there's a mistake on the solution presented in this book in page 196. This is a problem book with problems and solutions that follows closely the laser physics theory as presented in ``Principles of Laser Physics'' book (by Svelto), referring many times to the equations derived in it.

My question has to do with the book's solution way of calculating [itex] A_{b} [/itex] which is the laser beam area inside the crystal (at its center, in the middle of the confocal resonant cavity). This laser beam is, as far as I understand, approximated to be of cylindrical form inside the crystal, and thus it has volume [itex]V=A_{b}l[/itex], where [itex]l[/itex] is the length of the crystal.

Alright, the book's solution says the area of the beam at the center of the resonator is given by
[tex] A_{b}=\frac{\pi w_{b}^{2}}{2} [/tex]
where [itex]w_{b}[/itex] is the beam spot size at the center. This value of [itex]w_{b}[/itex] is said to be given by [itex]w_{b}=\left(\frac{L\lambda}{2\pi}\right)^{1/2}[/itex] for the case of a confocal resonator, in accordance with the second equation in Eq.5.5.11 of the ``Principles of Laser Physics'' book, which I agree.

However, I don't see the reasoning in the division by 2, because, by definition, [itex]w_{b}[/itex] is the radius of the ``cross section'' (the ``spot'') of the gaussian beam, as can be seen throughout ``Principles of Laser Physics'' starting from all the definitions in section ``4.7 Gaussian beams'', and which is, for example, represented in Fig.5.9.a. To me this would just be [itex]A_{b}=\pi w_{b}^{2}[/itex]. Am I wrong? This might seem minor, but to me it's important because it makes a difference on a request to reevaluate my exam correction.

I don't have a copy of your reference but usually the normalized intensity profile for a gaussian beam is defined to be:
##I(r)= exp(-2\frac {r^2} {w^2})##
If you define the area of the "spot" to be at FWHM then,
##\frac{1} {2} = exp(-2\frac {r^2} {w^2})##
## r^2 = \frac {w^2} {2}ln(2), A = \frac {\pi} {2} w^2 ln(2)##
It could be that the authors of your reference are more restrictive in the area by setting,
##I=e^{-1}I_{max}## (because of fast switching?) which would give the answer they quoted. Please check your authors' definition of the gaussian beam profile and where they determine the area of the "spot" on the profile.

Fred Wright said:
It could be that the authors of your reference are more restrictive in the area by setting, ##I=e^{-1}I_{max}## (because of fast switching?) which would give the answer they quoted. Please check your authors' definition of the gaussian beam profile and where they determine the area of the "spot" on the profile.

Thanks for the input. Yes, that definition gives the computed answer. However, the textbook does not strictly define the area of the spot nor gives a reason for that choice in this particular problem. There are several possible definitions and my answer is the one using ##I=e^{-2}I_{max}##.

1. What is Q-switching and how does it relate to flash pumped Nd:YLF lasers?

Q-switching is a technique used to control the output of a laser by quickly switching between high and low levels of optical loss within the laser cavity. This allows for the production of short, high-intensity laser pulses, which is particularly useful in flash pumped Nd:YLF lasers as it maximizes the efficiency of the flash lamp and produces a more powerful output.

2. What is the process of fast Q-switching in flash pumped Nd:YLF lasers?

In fast Q-switching, an external device called a Q-switch is used to rapidly introduce a high level of optical loss into the laser cavity. This causes the population inversion to build up quickly and results in a short, high-energy laser pulse being emitted.

3. What are the advantages of using fast Q-switching in flash pumped Nd:YLF lasers?

Fast Q-switching allows for the production of high-energy laser pulses with short durations, making it useful for applications such as material processing and laser ablation. It also increases the efficiency of the laser by reducing the amount of energy lost in the flash lamp.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to fast Q-switching in flash pumped Nd:YLF lasers?

One limitation of fast Q-switching is that it can only produce a single laser pulse at a time, so it is not suitable for continuous wave operation. Additionally, the high peak power of the laser pulses can cause damage to the laser components if not carefully controlled.

5. What are some potential applications of fast Q-switching in flash pumped Nd:YLF lasers?

Fast Q-switching is used in various applications, including laser marking, welding, and cutting in industries such as automotive, electronics, and medical. It is also used in scientific research for spectroscopy, microscopy, and laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy (LIBS).