Faster than light thought experiment

In summary, a person had a thought about creating a stable structure that could move faster than the speed of light. They asked for input from a physics forum and were told that this is not possible due to the limitations of rigid structures and the increasing energy required for objects to approach the speed of light. The person's personal theory was also not allowed to be discussed on the forum.
leebobandido
Hi :)

I just had a (most likely totaly unoriginal) thought and thought I should try to ask someone who's thinkings on physics are somewhat more refined than mine. So after thinking twice about private messaging Mr Tyson and Mr Cox :) I decided to google 'physics forum'.

So here I am with my stupid question for you to groan at.

As follows:

Lets say we had the technology to create stable structure of extraordinary length I.E a solid graphene arm of some descrption and then attached that to a small pivot, if the arm was long enough then quickly turning that pivot, let's say east to west would result in the far tip of the arm moving from point A east to point B west faster than that of light traveling between those points.

Thanks for reading.. tune in tomorrow for my clockwork electron hypothesis :P

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
A shockwave propagates along the rod at the speed of sound in the rod (much less than the speed of light, and cannot exceed the speed of light even in principle). Only when that shockwave reaches the other end of the rod does it start to move. And it necessarily moves slower than light. If naive calculation shows that the end of the rod would move faster than light then the rod would disintegrate due to centrifugal forces.

The atoms of the rod are held together by electromagnetic forces. Changes in such forces propagate at the speed of light - which is the underlying reason that the rod cannot move faster than light, no matter how rigid you make it.
leebobandido said:
tune in tomorrow for my clockwork electron hypothesis
Not sure if you're joking. We're happy to answer questions, but discussion of personal theories is against the rules here.

Likes davenn
leebobandido said:
Hi :)

I just had a (most likely totaly unoriginal) thought and thought I should try to ask someone who's thinkings on physics are somewhat more refined than mine. So after thinking twice about private messaging Mr Tyson and Mr Cox :) I decided to google 'physics forum'.

So here I am with my stupid question for you to groan at.

As follows:

Lets say we had the technology to create stable structure of extraordinary length I.E a solid graphene arm of some descrption and then attached that to a small pivot, if the arm was long enough then quickly turning that pivot, let's say east to west would result in the far tip of the arm moving from point A east to point B west faster than that of light traveling between those points.

Thanks for reading.. tune in tomorrow for my clockwork electron hypothesis :P
This question comes up quite often. So, as you guessed, it's not original.

The first problem is that there is no such thing as a truly rigid structure. The end of the arm does not move as soon as the pivot acts at the centre. In fact, the motion propagates along the arm at the speed of sound in that material.

The other problem is that as the arm accelerates, the amount of energy needed increases without limit as any part of the arm approaches the speed of light. In many ways this is no different from linear motion: even with unlimited energy the speed of light can never be attained for a massive particle. Hence cannot be attained for any part of the rod.

Thankyou both.

I very much appreciate the response and I'm happy to be educated :)

Likes berkeman and Ibix

1. What is the faster than light thought experiment?

The faster than light thought experiment is a hypothetical scenario used to explore the concept of faster-than-light (FTL) travel. It involves imagining a spacecraft traveling faster than the speed of light and examining the consequences and implications of such a scenario.

2. Is FTL travel possible?

According to our current understanding of physics, FTL travel is not possible. The speed of light is considered to be the ultimate speed limit in the universe. However, it is still a topic of exploration and speculation in theoretical physics.

3. What are some of the consequences of FTL travel?

If FTL travel were possible, it would violate the principles of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction. It would also potentially open up the possibility of time travel and create paradoxes within the space-time continuum.

4. How does the faster than light thought experiment relate to real-world science?

The faster than light thought experiment is a tool used by scientists and philosophers to explore the limitations and implications of our current understanding of physics. It can also inspire new ideas and theories in the field of physics.

5. What are some alternative theories to FTL travel?

Some alternative theories to FTL travel include wormholes, which are hypothetical tunnels through space-time that could potentially allow for faster travel, and the concept of "warp drive," which involves manipulating space-time to travel faster than the speed of light. However, these theories are still purely speculative and have not been proven to be possible.