Faster Than Light Travel: What Happens to Destination's Time?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of faster than light travel using an Alcubierre drive, which requires a large amount of energy but does not violate relativity. The concept of negative mass and its relevance to this type of travel is also debated. The conversation then shifts to the topic of time travel and closed, timelike curves, which are possible with an Alcubierre drive. However, it is noted that in special relativity, faster than light travel is not defined and therefore the concept of imaginary time is only a mathematical model. Finally, the conversation concludes with a discussion about frames of reference and the potential for time travel.
AlexDB9
I've read that faster than light travel is possible if we manipulate the space around the craft, but the energy needed is on the order of the sun's output.

So, even if not practical, since theoretically it is possible I want to ask what happens to our destination's time. As I understand at 0.99999 the speed of light, we will arrive at a planet one light-year away in a mere seconds, but the planet will be one year older than when we started the journey.
What happens for the same distance scenario for speeds equal to light's and speeds greater than light's?

Physics news on Phys.org
AlexDB9 said:
I've read that faster than light travel is possible if we manipulate the space around the craft, but the energy needed is on the order of the sun's output.
Where did you read this?

Alcubierre drive. Also energy estimates I've read go millions of times the industrial energy production to sun's output. Both cases impractical today. But the point is that the AD does not contradict relativity.

As far as I know, the main problem isn't the amount of energy but rather the fact that it requires exotic matter.

Last edited:
Likes bcrowell
The Alcubierre drive requires negative mass that is hypothetical.

However, according to this paper, http://arxiv.org/abs/1407.1457:

"We have shown that there exist very physical configurations of an ideal fluid which give rise to solutions of the Einstein equations that correspond asymptotically to negative mass Schwarzschild-de Sitter space times. The energy-momentum tensor that gives rise to such space times is perfectly physical, it everywhere satisfies the dominant energy condition. Since the space time is not asymptotically flat, we evade the positive energy theorems which would not allow for negative mass. Negative mass configurations therefore can exist in de Sitter backgrounds, exactly as have been proposed for the inflationary phase of the early universe."

AlexDB9 said:
"We have shown that there exist very physical configurations of an ideal fluid which give rise to solutions of the Einstein equations that correspond asymptotically to negative mass Schwarzschild-de Sitter space times. The energy-momentum tensor that gives rise to such space times is perfectly physical, it everywhere satisfies the dominant energy condition. Since the space time is not asymptotically flat, we evade the positive energy theorems which would not allow for negative mass. Negative mass configurations therefore can exist in de Sitter backgrounds, exactly as have been proposed for the inflationary phase of the early universe."

Alcubierre's metric violates the dominant energy condition. The material you've quoted discusses spacetimes that satisfy the dominant energy condition, and therefore isn't relevant. In any case, this seems to have little to do with your initial question.

AlexDB9 said:
So, even if not practical, since theoretically it is possible I want to ask what happens to our destination's time. As I understand at 0.99999 the speed of light, we will arrive at a planet one light-year away in a mere seconds, but the planet will be one year older than when we started the journey.

What happens for the same distance scenario for speeds equal to light's and speeds greater than light's?

If you have an Alcuibierre drive, it's automatically also a time machine -- in technical language, you can use it to create closed, timelike curves (CTCs). That means that you could, for example, fly to another star, find out that the aliens there are hostile, return, get back before you left, and warn yourself not to take the trip in the first place.

Likes 1977ub
DaleSpam said:
As far as I know, the main problem isn't the amount of energy but rather the fact that it requires exotic matter.
Why "exotic matter"? Are you just saying that it's impossible?

bcrowell said:
If you have an Alcuibierre drive, it's automatically also a time machine -- in technical language, you can use it to create closed, timelike curves (CTCs). That means that you could, for example, fly to another star, find out that the aliens there are hostile, return, get back before you left, and warn yourself not to take the trip in the first place.
FTL.jpg

Supposed we can travel 4 times the speed of light.
So A can reach C in 1 year (distance is 4 ly).
And go back to Blue wl in 1 year later.
But there's no way that A can go back to F, right?
How can Blue from event A can warn him/herself if Blue at event A can't go back to F?
##\tau = \sqrt{1^2-4^2}##Now, this equation is a problem ##\tau = \sqrt{15}i##?

Stephanus said:
View attachment 86679
How can Blue from event A can warn him/herself if Blue at event A can't go back to F?
That is correct.

In SR faster than light travel is not defined so the calculation for ##\tau## will not give a sensible answer.

(##\sqrt{1^2-4^2}=\sqrt{-15}## ?? )

CTCs allow you to travel in time without FTL speeds. They require curved spacetime. The Godel spacetime is a strange beast though, nothing like our own universe.

Likes Stephanus
But Hawking said "It turns out that a mathematical model involving imaginary time predicts not only effects we have already observed but also effects we have not been able to measure yet nevertheless believe in for other reasons."

Myself I don't believe in time machines, since I have never seen glass debri rise from the floor and assembe a glass on the table, but I play devil's advocate whenever I can. So is imaginary time only a mathematical concept?

Stephanus said:

You need to change the frame of reference to go back to F. As soon as the ship exceeds the speed of light there are always frames of reference where it travels back in time.

AlexDB9 said:
But Hawking said "It turns out that a mathematical model involving imaginary time predicts not only effects we have already observed but also effects we have not been able to measure yet nevertheless believe in for other reasons."

Myself I don't believe in time machines, since I have never seen glass debri rise from the floor and assembe a glass on the table, but I play devil's advocate whenever I can. So is imaginary time only a mathematical concept?
The imaginary time that Hawking is talking about is a completely separate concept from the imaginary time Mentz114 is talking about. Hawking us talking about using a Euclidean metric with an imaginary coordinate time. Mentz114 is talking about using a Lorentzian metric with a spacelike proper time.

Many people here also do not believe in time machines, which is why they think that any exotic matter solution to the EFE is non physical (including the Alcuibere drive)

Likes bcrowell
Stephanus said:
View attachment 86679

Your diagram and your reasoning are based on special relativity. SR doesn't have CTCs.

SR would still allow to get back in time, if FTL is possible in some frame and if all frames have the same laws of physics.
The C->F track is 4 times the speed of light in some other reference frame, and we assumed that moving at 4 times the speed of light is possible (in every frame).

mfb said:
SR would still allow to get back in time, if FTL is possible in some frame and if all frames have the same laws of physics.
The C->F track is 4 times the speed of light in some other reference frame, and we assumed that moving at 4 times the speed of light is possible (in every frame).

This is unrelated to the Alcubierre metric and the CTCs that it makes possible. Also, it doesn't make much sense to say what SR would predict if SR allowed "moving at 4 times the speed of light," by which I assume you mean the motion of a material object such as a person or a spaceship. SR doesn't allow that. We can't say what SR would predict in a situation that SR says is impossible.

bcrowell said:
This is unrelated to the Alcubierre metric and the CTCs that it makes possible.
Right, it is much more general.
There is nothing in SR that fundamentally rules out FTL, if you give up causality (which is exactly the point here) and if you are happy with questionable mass/energy relations. The equations work for superluminal things as well.

You mean the equations work everywhere over C numbers, except in the reference frame of light (division by 0)?

Last edited:
mfb said:
There is nothing in SR that fundamentally rules out FTL, if you give up causality (which is exactly the point here) and if you are happy with questionable mass/energy relations. The equations work for superluminal things as well.

I disagree, but that would be a topic for a separate thread.

Stephanus said:
Why "exotic matter"? Are you just saying that it's impossible?
"Exotic matter" is the name given to a hypothetical form of matter with negative energy density.

DaleSpam said:
"Exotic matter" is the name given to a hypothetical form of matter with negative energy density.
Oh

1. What is faster than light travel and how does it work?

Faster than light travel, also known as FTL travel, is a theoretical concept in which an object, such as a spacecraft, is able to move faster than the speed of light. This is currently not possible according to Einstein's theory of relativity, but some scientists are exploring the possibility through concepts such as wormholes and warp drive.

2. What happens to time when traveling faster than light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time is relative and can slow down or speed up depending on the observer's perspective. When traveling close to the speed of light, time will appear to slow down for the traveler compared to someone who is not moving at that speed. Therefore, if faster than light travel were possible, time would slow down significantly for the traveler compared to those on Earth.

3. Does time travel occur when traveling faster than light?

While time dilation does occur when traveling close to the speed of light, it is important to note that this is not the same as time travel. Time dilation only affects the perception of time for the traveler, but they are still moving forward in time. True time travel, where one can go back in time, is currently not possible and is still a topic of scientific debate.

4. How does faster than light travel affect the aging process?

If faster than light travel were possible, the traveler would experience time dilation and appear to age slower compared to someone who is not traveling at that speed. This means that they would age less than those on Earth during the same period of time. However, this effect would only be noticeable for extremely fast speeds and would not result in any significant changes in the aging process.

5. What are the potential dangers of faster than light travel?

The concept of faster than light travel is still purely theoretical, so it is difficult to predict the potential dangers. However, some possible concerns include the immense amount of energy required, the impact on the human body from time dilation, and the potential for colliding with objects in space at such high speeds. More research and understanding of the laws of physics would be necessary before any practical applications of faster than light travel could be pursued.