Is Breaking the Speed of Light Possible?

In summary, the individual is new to the forum and has two videos regarding breaking the speed of light, but they are not well-versed in the subject. They apologize if they have posted in the wrong forum and ask for help understanding the videos in simpler terms. They also mention a paper published in 2007 about superluminal "group velocities". The conversation then shifts to the possibility of circumventing the speed of light limit and the transfer of information faster than light. The individual also brings up the concept of space itself as a medium for faster than light travel. The conversation ends with a discussion about the paradoxical nature of FTL information transfer and how it could occur.
encorp
Hi, this would be my first post here. Although I've read the forums from afar for a few months now :)

I tried searching for the answers to my questions, but not being very well versed in the science of the matter it was hard for me to find the information I am looking for. I apologize in advance if I've stuck this in the wrong forum or these two videos have been addressed already. Let me know, I'll remember it for next time.

I have two videos regarding breaking the speed of light. It is my understanding that this is NOT possible. Can you help explain these two videos to myself, in layman's terms; I'll understand the complicated stuff but it's harder for my to articulate that than most of you guys.

For purposes of this conversation I'll number the videos; so they are easier to refer to. I didn't think this needed two posts.

Video #1

Video #2

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. show me the math
2. show me the math
Haha. This is an exercise in aristotlean logic. No math, observational support, or anything of substance - aside from excuses and sweeping generalizations. Otherwise compelling. I would like to see the error bars on the 'experimental data' - the real ones. The plastic tubing in video 1 is hilarious. Video 2 skipped the plastic tubing and went directly to crackpottery 101.

Last edited:
Chronos said:
1. show me the math
2. show me the math
Haha. This is an exercise in aristotlean logic. No math, observational support, or anything of substance - aside from excuses and sweeping generalizations. Otherwise compelling.

Yeah I don't agree with them at all, I'm also not educated on the matter enough to really say why the videos are most likely false.

Thanks for your reply.

The first video is referring to group velocity. Information is not being transmitted faster than c.

DavidSnider said:
The first video is referring to group velocity. Information is not being transmitted faster than c.

Sweet! I did a bit of research, it wasn't hard for me to understand group velocity and how it's still not transmitting information faster than light. Thanks!

I have no idea what Chronos is talking about, but, as DavidSnider pointed out, the paper was about superluminal "group velocities", and it was published.

Citation: Robertson, W., Pappafotis, J., Flannigan, P., Cathey, J., Cathey, B., and Klaus, C. “Sound beyond the speed of light: Measurement of negative group velocity in an acoustic loop filter.” Applied Physics Letters 90, 014102 (2007).
http://www.physorg.com/news88249076.html

The key point in the first video, is that there is no mass or object moving at the speed of light, or faster. I would need to read more to understand the experiment, but they appear to be toying with some complex properties of waves - in this case, sound waves.

There are exotic ideas in physics which might one day allow us to circumvent the speed of light limit. For now, at best, this is all highly speculative. It may never be possible. And even if it is one day be possible, it may never be practical.

Last edited:
I wonder if I could start a thread about damaged artificial plant micro-environments without getting in trouble...
Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

It seems to me that the transfer of information at a speed faster than light may be the first thing to happen if faster than light travel is ever discovered, but the medium in which the information travels would have to be able to move faster than light, and as far as we know no such thing exists.

Pattonias said:
It seems to me that the transfer of information at a speed faster than light may be the first thing to happen if faster than light travel is ever discovered, but the medium in which the information travels would have to be able to move faster than light, and as far as we know no such thing exists.

Really, how about inflation? The Alcubierre drive idea depends on space itself as the medium.

So would the information transfer be the rebound effect ahead of the wave that would occur at nearly the same instant that the ripple started? I'm just trying to understand what is occurring.

FTL information transfer suggests you could receive the signal before it was emitted. How paradoxical would that be? If logic traveled FTL, I should have thought of this yesterday.

Related to Is Breaking the Speed of Light Possible?

1. How is it possible to travel faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the fastest speed at which all matter and information can travel. However, there are some theoretical concepts, such as wormholes and warp drives, that suggest it may be possible to manipulate spacetime in a way that allows for faster-than-light travel. These concepts are still heavily debated and have not been proven to be possible.

2. What are the consequences of traveling faster than the speed of light?

If it were possible to travel faster than the speed of light, it would violate the laws of causality and potentially lead to paradoxes. For example, an object traveling faster than light would arrive at its destination before it even left its starting point, which would create a contradiction. Additionally, the energy required to accelerate to such speeds would be infinite, making it impossible to achieve in practice.

3. Can anything in the universe travel faster than light?

As far as we know, no. According to the laws of physics, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. Even particles that are accelerated to extremely high speeds in particle accelerators still do not reach the speed of light. However, there are some phenomena, such as the expansion of the universe, that can appear to be faster than light due to the stretching of spacetime.

4. Is there any evidence that suggests the existence of faster-than-light travel?

Currently, there is no empirical evidence to support the existence of faster-than-light travel. All experiments and observations in physics have confirmed the speed of light as the fastest speed possible. However, as mentioned earlier, some theoretical concepts suggest that it may be possible, but these have not been proven or observed in reality.

5. Could faster-than-light travel be the key to interstellar or intergalactic travel?

While faster-than-light travel may seem like the most efficient way to travel long distances in space, it is currently not a feasible option. As mentioned before, the energy requirements and paradoxical consequences make it impossible to achieve in practice. Scientists are instead exploring other concepts, such as using gravitational slingshots or constructing spacecraft that can travel close to the speed of light, to make interstellar travel more feasible.