Faster than the speed of light?

In summary, tachyons are hypothetical particles that would have imaginary rest mass and would be able to travel faster than light. However, this is impossible because it would violate the laws of physics.
Nikola Mitic
If we use the basic relativity equations on the speed faster than light we would get(in calculating differences in time on the Earth and on the spacecraft )an imaginary number.So does that mean that maybe by traveling faster than a light we would end back in the past,or that would just mean bigger difference in time?Or just the Einstein equations would be wrong.Of course than it's impossible to travel faster than light,this is just a mind experiment.
Sorry for my English

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Generally, one hears that going faster than light (which is impossible) would take you back in time---personally, I'm entirely unconvinced about this, but some rigorous work has been done on the subject (do a search for "Tachyons").

Otherwise, I think the question is pretty much unanswerable: the in-exceed-ability of the speed of light is such a fundamental, basic assumption of all of our physics that none of our intuitions/techniques would apply if you could exceed the speed of light.

zhermes said:
Generally, one hears that going faster than light (which is impossible) would take you back in time---personally, I'm entirely unconvinced about this, but some rigorous work has been done on the subject (do a search for "Tachyons").
What are you unconvinced about? Because of the relativity of simultaneity, anything going faster than light in one frame would be going backward in time in another--i.e. if there's one frame where the event of the tachyon signal being received happens after the event of it being sent, there's another frame where the signal is received at an earlier time than it's sent, this follows in a simple way from the Lorentz transformation. And if tachyons respect the first postulate of relativity, then if it's possible to send signals backwards in time in one frame, it's possible to do it in all frames, which means if you and I are moving apart at sublight speeds, I can send you a tachyon signal which moves FTL in my frame and backwards-in-time in yours, then you can send a reply which moves FTL in your frame but backwards-in-time in mine, with the net result that I receive your reply before I sent the original message (see the spacetime diagrams here).

That is a very clear and reasonable explanation---It did elucidate the point for me.

But...
JesseM said:
What are you unconvinced about?
The proper time interval is imaginary, as in the particles energy; thus the stress-energy tensor would be negative... etc etc; I just think 'going backwards in time' is far too neat of a solution...

zhermes said:
The proper time interval is imaginary
True, but the tachyon's proper time would only be relevant if you wanted to somehow figure out how the tachyon itself experiences time, in what order it experiences different events on its worldline and so forth. When people say that tachyons go back in time, they're just analyzing their external behavior in the frames of slower-than-light observers, specifically the fact that different frames must disagree about whether the event of the tachyon being emitted or the event of the tachyon being received happened at an earlier time.
zhermes said:
as in the particles energy
The idea is that a tachyon would have imaginary rest mass, so that all the tachyon's measurable qualities like momentum and energy would be real-valued...see here. There are apparently good quantum-mechanical reasons to think they don't exist though, even aside from the implausibility of causality violations.

Thanks for the ansewrs.

Related to Faster than the speed of light?

1. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel.

2. Is it possible for the speed of light to change?

No, the speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe and cannot be changed.

3. What happens if an object reaches the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, an object with mass cannot reach the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, it will experience time dilation and its mass will increase infinitely. This makes it physically impossible for an object to reach the speed of light.

4. Are there any particles that can travel faster than the speed of light?

No, all particles in the universe are bound by the speed of light and cannot travel faster than it.

5. If nothing can travel faster than light, how do scientists study objects in the universe that are billions of lightyears away?

Scientists use various methods, such as telescopes and spacecraft, to observe and study objects in the universe. They also use mathematical models and theories, such as the theory of relativity, to understand and make predictions about the behavior of objects beyond the speed of light.