Fatal error entry 2 is not monotonically increasing

In summary: MCNP but I never received an email.In summary, the code is giving an error that is difficult to diagnose. MCNP is a huge code with a lot of history and there are many competing incentives for where development and documentation effort is expended. The result is, a significant number of really weird things.
khary23
I am trying a different energy spectrum in a code I am writing and get the following error when I try to run the it.

0.61247 0.88454
fatal error entry 2 of si 3 is not monotonically increasing

This has me confused because the two values above are monotonically increasing as are the preceding values. Is there a formatting or syntax issue that I am missing?

Attachments

• RDF_Ir2.txt
    4.4 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't open the .txt file.

FactChecker said:
I can't open the .txt file.

Strange I just opened it on my phone.

Heh, you could have mentioned at some point it was MCNP. 🤪

Two things:

SI3 = 0 0.06149 0.063 0.06512 0.06683 0.07108 0.07141

The space between SI3 and = should not be there. You are better off using the form with no = at all.

Next, the number of entries on SI3 does not match the number on SP3.

I noticed the SI3 issue right after I posted, but the space with the equal sign...who knew.

Likes DEvens
khary23 said:
I noticed the SI3 issue right after I posted, but the space with the equal sign...who knew.

MCNP is a huge code with a lot of history. And there are many competing incentives for where development and documentation effort is expended. The result is, a significant number of really weird things. It's by no means the only error message that is difficult to diagnose.

The most annoying one I have found so far is an error message that arises when certain internal limits are exceeded. These are not limits that the code advertises, but somewhere inside there is an array or a depth or something that is exceeded. The error message is something about a degenerate torus. I *think* it's because the code has some kind of resource leak or not-properly-cleaned-up pointer or something, and this is the first error message in a group of messages. This error message can occur even in an input with no torus surface. But the worst part for me was, it first showed up in my work when I did add a torus to the model. And my torus was deliberately degenerate. So I wasted several days hunting through 50,000 lines of MCNP input trying to figure out what was wrong. Sigh.

Eventually you are forced to fall back on old-time debugging. Cut out half the model and see if the error goes away. Then put the first half back and cut out the second half. And then cut out half the remaining error-showing part, and so on until you reduce it down to three or four lines. Then you just have to nudge-and-poke. It can be very annoying, time consuming, and budget damaging.

Wait until you get lost particles because you tried to make a pizza-slice division of a cylinder. I was working on a project that had three bundles in a channel in 120 degree sectors. It was modeled as three equal wedges meeting at the center. And it lost particles quite often. That wasted a bunch of time.

The MCNP mailing list can be helpful. You need to be registered with RSICC to be on that mailing list. Just as here, it's all volunteers. Though sometimes you get actual MCNP developers answering.

Likes khary23
By the way, I wish I could help with your TMESH question on the other thread, but I have never used TMESH.

DEvens said:
By the way, I wish I could help with your TMESH question on the other thread, but I have never used TMESH.

No worries, thank you for all of your help by the way!

can one use FMESH in spherical coordinates?

I requested to be on the mailing list

1. What does "Fatal error entry 2 is not monotonically increasing" mean?

This error message typically appears in software or programming languages when there is a problem with the sequence or order of data. In this case, "entry 2" refers to the second piece of data in a list or array, and "not monotonically increasing" means that the value of this entry is not larger than the previous entry. This can cause issues with the functionality of the program.

2. Why is it important for data to be monotonically increasing?

In many cases, data is used to represent a progression or trend. For example, in a graph or chart, the x-axis often represents time and the y-axis represents some other variable. If the data is not monotonically increasing, it can lead to incorrect interpretations and inaccurate conclusions about the trend or pattern being represented.

3. How can I fix a "Fatal error entry 2 is not monotonically increasing"?

The specific solution will depend on the programming language or software you are using. In general, you will need to review your code and identify the source of the error. This could be due to a mistake in how the data is being input or a logic error in the code. Once the issue is identified, you can make the necessary changes to ensure the data is monotonically increasing.

4. Can this error be prevented?

Yes, this error can be prevented by carefully reviewing and testing your code before running it. It is also important to double-check the data being input to ensure it is in the correct order and follows the expected sequence. Additionally, using proper programming techniques and error handling can help prevent this type of error from occurring.

5. Are there any other common errors related to monotonically increasing data?

Yes, there are other common errors that can occur with non-monotonically increasing data, such as "out of range" errors or "non-numeric value" errors. These can also be caused by issues with the sequence or order of data and can usually be fixed by following similar troubleshooting steps as with the "Fatal error entry 2 is not monotonically increasing" error.