MCNP6.2 - SSW and surfaces defining universe boundaries

• Thread starter 19matthew89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mcnp
In summary, the conversation discusses using SSW card to track particles crossing surfaces defining higher level universes. The manual is clear about using cells from the lowest level, but not as clear about surfaces. The code provided includes examples of surfaces and materials. The question is whether SSW can track particles entering a cylinder with specific parameters. It is also asked whether the original surface or the modified one should be specified when using a transformation. The answer is not clear and requires further clarification.
19matthew89
TL;DR Summary
Is SSW card able to track neutrons crossing surfaces defining universes?
Hi everyone,

I am using SSW card.
Although the manual is very clear about the fact that the cells used in SSW card have to belong to the lowest level, the manual is not that clear the surfaces.
Is SSW able to track particles crossing surfaces defining higher level universes?

Let's assume this code:
Code:
1 1  -1.0 10:-11
2 1  -1.0 11 -10 FILL=20
3 2  -2.7 -12 U=20
4 1  -1.0 12  U=20

C Surfaces
10 PZ 50
11 PZ -50
12 CZ 2

C Materials
M1      1001      0.6665667   $water                                                                   
        1002      0.000100                                                                       
        8016      0.3332063                                                                       
        8017      0.000127

M2      13027     1   $Al

May I write
Code:
 SSW -12 (3) -10 (3) 11 (3)
if I want to record all the particle entering the cylinder of basis at +50, -50 and of radius 2?
Or do I need to have auxiliary planes used in the universe U=20?

Moreover if I need to track particles through surfaces which have been transformed first via a TRCL, do I need to give the original surface, or the modified one. For instance, in the example above let's assume I applied a transformation TRCL at the cell 3, which surface do I need to specify
Code:
 SSW -3012 (3)
if I want to track the particles accross the lateral surface? Because I'd expect so, but when I tried a simple run it gave me error exactly saying that "surface 3012 not defined". So I am a bit puzzled.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello,

Thank you for your question about MCNP6.2 and SSW card. The SSW card is used to define a special weight window for a specific cell or group of cells. The surfaces used in the SSW card should belong to the lowest level of the cell hierarchy. This means that the surfaces should be defined in the same cell or in a cell below the cell where the SSW card is used.

In your example code, the surfaces 10, 11, and 12 are defined in cell 1, which is the lowest level cell. So, you can use these surfaces in the SSW card for cell 1. However, if you want to use the same surfaces in the SSW card for cell 3, you will need to define them again in cell 3 or in a lower level cell. This is because cell 3 is above cell 1 in the cell hierarchy.

For your second question, you can write SSW -12 (3) -10 (3) 11 (3) to track particles entering the cylinder at +50, -50, and of radius 2. You do not need to use auxiliary planes in the universe U=20 for this.

If you need to track particles through transformed surfaces, you should use the original surface in the SSW card. In your example, you should use SSW -3012 (3) to track particles across the lateral surface after applying the transformation TRCL at cell 3.

I hope this helps clarify your questions. Please refer to the MCNP manual for more detailed information on using the SSW card. Thank you.

What is MCNP6.2?

MCNP6.2 is a general-purpose Monte Carlo N-Particle transport code used for simulating and analyzing radiation transport and shielding problems in various applications, such as nuclear engineering, medical physics, and radiation protection.

What is SSW in MCNP6.2?

SSW stands for "Surface Source Weighting" and is a feature in MCNP6.2 that allows users to define a source distribution on a surface or volume within the simulation geometry. This can be useful for modeling complex source geometries or for creating more accurate simulations.

How do I define surfaces in MCNP6.2?

Surfaces can be defined in MCNP6.2 using the SURF card, which allows users to specify the geometry, material, and other properties of a surface. The SURF card can also be used to define boundaries for the simulation universe, which is important for accurate source weighting and transport calculations.

Can I use MCNP6.2 for all types of radiation?

Yes, MCNP6.2 is capable of simulating and analyzing all types of radiation, including neutrons, photons, and electrons. It also has the ability to handle complex radiation interactions, making it a versatile tool for various applications.

Are there any limitations to using MCNP6.2 for radiation transport simulations?

While MCNP6.2 is a powerful and widely used tool for radiation transport simulations, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not be suitable for simulations involving extremely high energies or very small length scales. Additionally, the accuracy of the simulation results may be affected by the quality of the input data and user-defined parameters.