Fatal Error The Surface Appears More Than Once in A Chain

In summary, the conversation is about an error message that appeared during a software process. The error was caused by repeated use of a surface in different levels, and it resulted in 39 surfaces being deleted. The error also mentions some fatal errors related to surfaces appearing more than once in a chain. The person who was able to read the error message was considered lucky and suggested that the OP should come back to verify. It is mentioned that the error is normally caused by the use of fills and that more information is needed to solve the issue. The conversation ends with a request for the OP to share if they were able to solve the problem.
Ryan89
TL;DR Summary
Hi, can anyone help me? I am running the code for the container for the radioactive waste. I run on Vised, but suddenly it can't run due to a fatal error. I also have attached the error. Kindly hit me up if you can help to solve this issue. Thank you!
1657613963656.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Your image is not high enough resolution to read the error. Can you upload a zoomed-in picture of the output lines in the upper left?

Likes Ryan89
It says:
Warning without Bremsstrahlung flux estimates will be low
Warning 39 surfaces were deleted as being the same as others
Fatal Error surface 2.1 appears more than once in a chain
Fatal Error surface 2.2 appears more than once in a chain
Fatal Error surface 2.3 appears more than once in a chain

I suppose repeated 39 times

How the heck were you able to read that?

berkeman said:
How the heck were you able to read that?
Could say lucky.
First time of many that with zoom that I could see what was there.
OP should come back and verify.

Likes Alex A and berkeman
The error looks like it's normally caused by the use of fills where a surface appears at more than one level, say defining a fill and also in the cell description of the fill universe.

The VisEd errors will match the output file, but the output file should have more of an explanation; which offending cells that surface is in and where they are in the chain. The offending surface 2 is composite which is why we have decimals. Fills are normally done into a bigger volume and the filled cell acts as a cookie cutter, filling with the same size would produce this because edges would be coincident. It's normally a warning. I have no idea why this is a fatal error.

Just as an aside, VisEd X_ 22S corresponds to X 2.6 - circa 2008.

If we get more info, maybe we can help solve this. If the OP has solved this, I would hope we're told.

Likes 19matthew89 and 256bits

1. What is a fatal error?

A fatal error is an error that occurs in a computer program that causes it to terminate abruptly, without any chance of recovery. It is usually caused by a programming mistake or a system malfunction.

2. What does "The Surface Appears More Than Once in A Chain" mean?

This means that a particular surface or object is being referenced multiple times in a sequence, causing a conflict or error in the program. This can happen when the same surface is used in different parts of the code or when there is a loop that repeatedly references the same surface.

3. How does this error affect the program?

This error can cause the program to crash or freeze, as it is unable to continue running without resolving the conflict of the surface appearing more than once. It can also lead to unexpected or incorrect results in the output of the program.

4. How can this error be fixed?

The error can be fixed by identifying where the surface is being referenced multiple times and removing the extra references. This may involve restructuring the code or using a different approach to achieve the desired outcome.

5. Are there any preventive measures to avoid this error?

Yes, there are several preventive measures that can be taken to avoid this error. These include carefully planning and organizing the code to avoid unnecessary repetition, using unique identifiers for surfaces, and regularly testing and debugging the code to catch any potential errors.