Favorite Non Mathematic or Science books?

In summary, members of the physicsforum community enjoy a variety of books such as Don Quixote, Les Miserables, Oliver Twist, and works by Jack London. Some members have a particular interest in detective fiction and murder mysteries, while others are drawn to stories with elements of suspense. There is also a shared appreciation for the mystery-solving aspect of science and its application in real-life experiments.
MidgetDwarf
Besides liking countless books on the subjects of math and science, what other books do physicsforum members enjoy?

In my case, I enjoy Don Quixote, Les Miserables, Oliver Twist, and all Jack London's works.

Physics news on Phys.org
MidgetDwarf said:
Besides liking countless books on the subjects of math and science, what other books do physicsforum members enjoy?

In my case, I enjoy Don Quixote, Les Miserables, Oliver Twist, and all Jack London's works.
I am addicted to detective fiction/murder mysteries, or any book where some mystery is explained after applied effort. To the extent I have any interest in science it is for the mystery-solving aspect of it. The story of, say, Volta's experiments, is just as fascinating to me as a Sherlock Holmes tale, for pretty much the same reason.

However, I also like suspense stories, and suspense stories don't necessarily have a mystery at their core.

What makes a book a "favorite" for readers?

A favorite book is often defined as one that resonates with the reader on a personal level, whether it be through the characters, plot, writing style, or themes. It is a book that the reader can connect with and often revisit multiple times.

What genres of books are typically considered "non-mathematic or science"?

Examples of non-mathematic or science books include fiction (such as romance, mystery, fantasy, etc.), biographies/autobiographies, historical non-fiction, self-help, poetry, and many more. Essentially, any book that does not primarily focus on mathematical or scientific concepts can be considered a non-mathematic or science book.

How do I find recommendations for non-mathematic or science books?

There are many ways to find recommendations for non-mathematic or science books, including asking friends and family, browsing online book forums or book club websites, checking out book lists from reputable sources (such as Goodreads or The New York Times), and even visiting your local library or bookstore to see their recommendations.

Why is it important to read non-mathematic or science books?

Reading non-mathematic or science books can expand your knowledge and understanding of different perspectives, experiences, and cultures. It can also improve your critical thinking skills, empathy, and communication abilities. Additionally, reading for pleasure has been shown to reduce stress and improve overall well-being.

Can non-mathematic or science books also have scientific or mathematical elements in them?

Yes, non-mathematic or science books can still incorporate scientific or mathematical concepts into their narratives. For example, a historical fiction novel may include accurate details about a scientific discovery or a mystery novel may involve solving a mathematical puzzle. However, the primary focus of the book would still be on the non-mathematic or science elements.