Favorite Old Threads - Best Math Thread # 1

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for integrating a given function involving a first-order linear ordinary differential equation. The solution involves obtaining the integrand in a specific form and solving the corresponding DE. The resulting integration result is then provided.
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
Originally posted by Srengam on 9/5/2011: integrate
$$\int[(1-2\cos(x))(3+2\cos(x))e^{\frac{1}{2}\,x+\cos(x)}]\,dx.$$
My solution:

One way to integrate involves solving a first-order linear ordinary differential equation. First, note that
$$\left(\frac{u}{v}\right)'=\frac{vu'-uv'}{v^{2}}.$$
That, of course, is just the quotient rule for derivatives. You can integrate it once to obtain
$$\frac{u}{v}+C=\int\frac{vu'-uv'}{v^{2}}\,dx.$$
Now, if you could get the integrand to look like the integrand I just mentioned, you'd be done. Let's say you write
$$\int\frac{e^{-x/2-\cos(x)}(1-2\cos(x))(3+2\cos(x))}{e^{-x-2\cos(x)}}\,dx.\quad (1)$$
All I've done is write the exponential in the denominator, and then multiplied top and bottom by the new denominator, because I want to get a $v^{2}$ in the denominator. So now I want $v=e^{-x/2-\cos(x)}.$ This forces my quotient rule to look like this:
$$\frac{vu'-uv'}{v^{2}}=\frac{e^{-x/2-\cos(x)}u'-e^{-x/2-\cos(x)}(-1/2+\sin(x))u}{e^{-x-2\cos(x)}}.$$
Equating the numerator of this RHS with the previous numerator of (1) yields the first-order linear ordinary differential equation
$$u'-(-1/2+\sin(x))u=(1-2\cos(x))(3+2\cos(x)).$$
The solution to this DE is
$$u=e^{-x/2-\cos(x)}C-2(1+2\sin(x)).$$
Hence, the integration result is
$$\frac{u}{v}=\frac{e^{-x/2-\cos(x)}C-2(1+2\sin(x))}{e^{-x/2-\cos(x)}}=C-2e^{x/2+\cos(x)}(1+2\sin(x)),$$
as WolframAlpha yields.

1. What is the "Favorite Old Threads - Best Math Thread # 1" about?

The "Favorite Old Threads - Best Math Thread # 1" is a discussion thread on an online forum where users share and discuss their favorite math-related discussions or questions.

2. How was the "Favorite Old Threads - Best Math Thread # 1" chosen?

The "Favorite Old Threads - Best Math Thread # 1" was chosen based on user votes and recommendations on the forum. Users were asked to nominate their favorite math threads and the one with the most votes and positive feedback was selected as the best.

3. Is the "Favorite Old Threads - Best Math Thread # 1" still active?

No, the "Favorite Old Threads - Best Math Thread # 1" is no longer active as it was chosen and discussed in the past. However, the thread and its contents are still accessible for users to read and refer to.

4. Can I contribute to the "Favorite Old Threads - Best Math Thread # 1"?

The "Favorite Old Threads - Best Math Thread # 1" is a closed thread and is no longer accepting contributions. However, users are encouraged to start new discussions and share their favorite math threads in other active threads on the forum.

5. Are the discussions in the "Favorite Old Threads - Best Math Thread # 1" only for experts?

No, the discussions in the "Favorite Old Threads - Best Math Thread # 1" are open to all users, regardless of their level of expertise in math. The thread was created to share and discuss interesting and thought-provoking math topics, and all users are welcome to participate and learn from each other.