FEA Torque Sim: Custom Wrench Design & SolidWorks File

In summary, the individual is creating a custom wrench for personal use and wants to run an FEA to test its durability. They are seeking advice on where to fix and apply the load, whether it should be a torque or force. They are using SolidWorks for the FEA and can fix the part holding the socket and apply force to the handle. The person references a helpful article and video on using FEA for a wrench simulation. Lastly, they inquire if the torque wrench length should be considered when applying 100ft-lbs of torque to the square socket.
grunt5897
I'm making a custom wrench for personal use. For fun, I'd like to run an FEA and see if the wrench will fail. Below is a similar wrench. 100ft-lbs are applied with a torque wrench to the square socket. Where do I fix and apply the load? Should it be a torque or a force? I'm doing the FEA in SolidWorks if anyone wants the file.
Axle Nut Wrench.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
FEAnalyst said:
You can fix the part that holds the socket and apply force to the handle. Wrench is quite common case for FEA, check this article for example: https://feaforall.com/linear-static-fea-simulation-wrench-salome-meca-code-aster-video-tutorial/

Or this video:

I need to torque the nut to 100ft-lbs. The torque wrench engages the square socket. Do I apply 100ft-lbs at the square socket? Does the torque wrench length factor in at all?

What is FEA Torque Sim?

FEA Torque Sim is a software program that allows users to design custom wrenches and simulate the torque performance using Finite Element Analysis (FEA) techniques. It also provides the ability to generate SolidWorks files for 3D printing or manufacturing.

What are the benefits of using FEA Torque Sim?

FEA Torque Sim offers several benefits, including the ability to design and test custom wrenches without the need for physical prototypes, saving time and resources. It also allows for accurate prediction of torque performance, helping to identify potential issues and optimize designs.

How does FEA Torque Sim use Finite Element Analysis?

FEA Torque Sim uses Finite Element Analysis to break down a complex wrench design into smaller, more manageable elements. It then applies mathematical equations to each element to simulate the behavior of the wrench under different torque loads. This allows for a more accurate prediction of the wrench's performance.

Can FEA Torque Sim be used for any type of wrench design?

FEA Torque Sim can be used for a wide range of wrench designs, including open-end, box-end, and adjustable wrenches. It can also be used for both metric and imperial measurements and can accommodate various materials, such as steel, aluminum, and titanium.

Is FEA Torque Sim user-friendly?

FEA Torque Sim is designed to be user-friendly, with a simple and intuitive interface. It also offers tutorials and customer support to help users get started and troubleshoot any issues they may encounter. However, some basic knowledge of wrench design and Finite Element Analysis may be beneficial for optimal use of the software.