FEM, FEA, Frame, Moment, Shear, find Stiffness Matrixx

In summary: You would also need to apply boundary conditions and solve for displacements and member forces.In summary, the individual is seeking help with analyzing a frame and is wondering if it is possible to obtain the stiffness matrix by hand calculations. They also ask where to seek further help and provide a link to a resource on matrix frames. The responder suggests that creating the stiffness matrix by hand may be tedious and mentions the issue of pinned connections. They also mention the additional steps involved in analyzing the frame.
McLovinn

Homework Statement

Hi,

I need some help analysing this frame. First of all i bellive its hard, if not impossible, to get as detailed results by hand calculations as my softwear CSI Sap2000. Becourse of shear and axial deformation.

Is it possible to obtain the stiffness matrix of this frame at all, or do i need to look at different methods.

Can you pleas tell me where to ask if this is wrong forum?

Thanks, most sincerly!

Homework Equations

http://www.sut.ac.th/engineering/civil/courseonline/430332/pdf/07_matrix_frame.pdf

The Attempt at a Solution

Not even sure if its possible.

Attachments

• Frame, matrix.jpg
    Frame, matrix.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 441
  • Frame statics.pdf
    117.8 KB · Views: 213
  • Frame statics.pdf
    117.8 KB · Views: 237
  • Frame, matrix.jpg
    Frame, matrix.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
McLovinn said:

Homework Statement

Hi,

I need some help analysing this frame. First of all i bellive its hard, if not impossible, to get as detailed results by hand calculations as my softwear CSI Sap2000. Becourse of shear and axial deformation.

Is it possible to obtain the stiffness matrix of this frame at all, or do i need to look at different methods.

Can you pleas tell me where to ask if this is wrong forum?

Thanks, most sincerly!

Homework Equations

http://www.sut.ac.th/engineering/civil/courseonline/430332/pdf/07_matrix_frame.pdf

The Attempt at a Solution

Not even sure if its possible.

You shouldn't have a problem creating the stiffness matrix for your frame by hand, if that's really what you want to do. Even for such a small frame, it's going to be pretty tedious.

I think one problem you might have with creating the stiffness matrix is what to do about the joints which connect the red parts of the frame to the blue parts. These four joints appear to be pinned connections. As such, each joint will only support forces; no moments can be transmitted, therefore, you must modify your stiffness matrix to reflect this situation.

Good Luck! :smile:

Of course, creating the stiffness matrix is only one step in analyzing this frame.

1. What is FEM and how does it differ from FEA?

FEM stands for Finite Element Method, while FEA stands for Finite Element Analysis. FEM is a numerical method used to solve differential equations and is often used in engineering and physics. FEA, on the other hand, is a computational tool that uses FEM to solve engineering problems.

2. What is a frame in structural analysis?

A frame is a structural system made up of interconnected beams, columns, and braces that work together to support loads and resist forces. Frames are commonly used in building and bridge construction.

3. What is a moment and how is it calculated?

Moment, also known as torque, is a measure of a force's tendency to cause rotation. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the point of rotation.

4. What is shear and how does it affect a structure?

Shear is a type of force that acts parallel to the surface of a material. In structural analysis, shear can cause deformation and failure in a structure if it exceeds the material's shear strength.

5. How do you find the stiffness matrix of a structure?

The stiffness matrix is a square matrix that relates the forces applied to a structure to the resulting displacements. It is typically found using FEM, where the stiffness of each element is calculated and combined to form the overall stiffness matrix of the structure.