Femtocell for local cell connection

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a femtocell connection from AT&T that provides a cell connection for a range of 10 meters using an internet connection. The user has been struggling with poor cell reception in their office and found out about this solution recently. They mention that it works well with a solid connection and excellent sound quality. The conversation also brings up the price difference between AT&T's femtocell and Verizon's.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Very cool! I just started using my new femtocell connection from AT&T. It provides a cell connection for a range of about 10 meters, using an internet connection. It seems to work great. The connection is solid with 5 bars, and the sound quality is excellent.

I have been playing dueling phones for over ten years now because I don't get cell reception in my office due to the surrounding trees and hills. Lately it has become an issue so I started scouting around and found this was available. I know I'm probably behind the times but the fact is that ATT never mentioned it. The first I heard of this was a couple of weeks ago.

Wired had a write up a couple of years ago.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/03/att-microcell/

Physics news on Phys.org
why does one of these thingys cost $100 more from verizon? :(:(

Related to Femtocell for local cell connection

1. What is a Femtocell and how does it work?

A Femtocell is a small, low-power cellular base station that is designed for use in homes or small businesses to improve cellular coverage and connectivity. It connects to a user's internet connection and acts as a mini cellular tower, providing a local cell connection.

2. How is a Femtocell different from a traditional cellular tower?

Femtocells are designed for personal or small-scale use, while traditional cellular towers are used for larger areas and serve multiple users simultaneously. Femtocells also use a user's internet connection to provide local cell service, whereas traditional towers use their own cellular network.

3. Can anyone use a Femtocell?

Yes, anyone with a compatible cellular device and internet connection can use a Femtocell. However, the device must be registered with the user's cellular provider and be within the range of the Femtocell to access the local cell connection.

4. What are the benefits of using a Femtocell?

The main benefit of using a Femtocell is improved cellular coverage and connectivity in areas with weak cellular signals. It can also provide faster data speeds and improved call quality. Additionally, using a Femtocell can help reduce the strain on traditional cellular towers in heavily populated areas.

5. Is a Femtocell secure to use?

Yes, Femtocells are designed to be secure, and the data transmitted through them is encrypted to protect user privacy. However, it is important to ensure that the Femtocell is set up correctly and only authorized devices have access to it to maintain security.