Few Bad grades and your future

In summary, the speaker is an Italian physics student seeking advice on how to improve their chances of getting into a top university for their PhD. They have completed three years of their bachelor's degree with mostly high grades, but have also received two average-bad grades. They are currently in a school of excellence, but may be leaving due to one of their bad grades. They have two years of university experience, but only 1.5 years will count for their PhD applications. They are aiming for a top 20 university and are confident in their PGRE score, but have heard that even students with perfect grades are not always accepted. They are interested in theoretical physics and have currently been studying cosmology, but are not sure if it is
Salah93
Hi,
I am an italian physics student. I know that this is a recurrent topic but I want some specific advice.
This year I am completing my third year of university to get my bachelor degree. Then I have to get my master. In these three years I got a lot of very good-top grade, and 2 average-bad grades(maybe is a C or C+ in your system).
For now I am also in what here in Italy we call school of excellence, but maybe I going to go out for my last bad grade(because on of the rules of this school is no bad grades). But this doesn't matter now.
I have two years of university but counting for the phd applications say one and a half. I want to be got in one of the top 20 university in phd. In the case to make it in US I am quite sure to get a very good score in pgre(>900). But I red that also people with max grades in all sometimes are not accepted.
I want to start research with some professor and I am going to study a lot this year. For now I did cosmology. What I say, it was good but I don't really enjoyed. I thought that there is more math. Maybe is because I am at the beginning. Maybe I have to try something else, but this would be a 'lose' of time for phd application.

Is there still any possibility for me to get in a top school working very very hard?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Sperimental Physics 3 and Nuclear Physics and Geometry.

For now I want maybe to be a theoretical physicist in cosmology.

What are the potential consequences of getting few bad grades?

Getting a few bad grades can have various consequences depending on the context. In terms of your future, it can affect your academic record and potentially limit your opportunities for scholarships or acceptance into certain programs or schools. It could also impact your self-esteem and motivation.

Will a few bad grades ruin my chances of getting into a good college or university?

It is important to note that colleges and universities look at a variety of factors when considering applicants, not just grades. While a few bad grades may not look ideal, they may not necessarily ruin your chances. It is important to demonstrate your strengths and potential in other areas such as extracurricular activities, essays, and recommendation letters.

Can I still pursue my dream career with a few bad grades?

Yes, you can still pursue your dream career with a few bad grades. Your grades do not define your abilities and potential. It is important to focus on improving and showcasing your skills, knowledge, and experiences in other ways such as internships, projects, and networking.

How can I overcome the setbacks of having a few bad grades?

The first step to overcoming setbacks is to acknowledge and take responsibility for your grades. From there, you can create a plan to improve and seek support from teachers, tutors, or mentors. It is also important to focus on your strengths and continue to work hard and stay motivated.

What can I learn from having a few bad grades?

Having a few bad grades can be a valuable learning experience. It can teach you the importance of time management, studying effectively, and seeking help when needed. It can also help you identify your strengths and weaknesses and motivate you to work harder and improve in the future.