Few questions about series solution of ODEs

In summary, the conversation discusses the ODE x(x-1)y''-xy'+y=0 and the method of solution to be used for it. The speaker identifies a regular singular point at x=0 and a singular point at x=1. They suggest using the Frobenius method due to the presence of a regular singular point. They also provide a possible second solution for the ODE using a first order ODE and integration. The general solution is given as y=a*x+b*(1+x*ln(x)).
gikiian
Consider the ODE [itex]x(x-1)y''-xy'+y=0[/itex].

I need help in identifying the method of solution (power series or frobenius) for this ODE.

Using the formulae [itex]\stackrel{limit}{_{x→x_{o}}}\frac{q(x)+r(x)}{p(x)}[/itex] and [itex]\stackrel{limit}{_{x→x_{o}}}\frac{(x-x_{o})q(x)+(x-x_{o})^{2}r(x)}{p(x)}[/itex] , where p(x)=x(x-1), q(x)=-x, and r(x)=1, I have worked out the following:

(Eq. 1) [itex]\stackrel{limit}{_{x→0}}\frac{-x+1}{x(x-1)}=\stackrel{limit}{_{x→0}}\frac{-1}{x}=\frac{-1}{0}=∞[/itex] i.e. diverges

(Eq. 2) [itex]\stackrel{limit}{_{x→0}}\frac{(x-0)(-x)+(x-0)^{2}(1)}{x(x-1)}=\stackrel{limit}{_{x→0}}\frac{-x^{2}+x^{2}}{x(x-1)}=0[/itex] i.e. converges

Hence [itex]x_{o}=0[/itex] is a regular singular point.

(Eq. 3) [itex]\stackrel{limit}{_{x→1}}\frac{-x+1}{x(x-1)}=\stackrel{limit}{_{x→1}}\frac{-1}{x}=\frac{-1}{1}=-1[/itex] i.e. converges

Hence [itex]x_{o}=1[/itex] is a singular point.

My question is: How do I use this data to find out which solution method to use?

I am guessing that since the problem equation has a regular singular point besides having a singular point, we will drop the power series method and use the Frobenius method of solution. Am I right?

Another question: Which regular singular point do we choose if there are more than one regular singular points for an ODE?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi !
An obvious solution of the ODE is y=x.
So, in order to find a second solution, let y=x*f(x) where f(x) is an unknown function. Bring it back into the ODE
This leads to a first order ODE easy to solve, which gives f '(x). The integration leads to f(x)=ln(x)+1/x, then y(x)= 1+x*ln(x)
The general solution of the ODE is y=a*x+b*(1+x*ln(x)) where a and b are constant.

1. What is a series solution for an ODE?

A series solution for an ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a method for finding an approximate solution to the equation by expressing it as a series of terms. This method is often used when it is not possible to find an exact solution.

2. How does a series solution work?

A series solution involves taking the derivatives of the equation and substituting them into the original equation. This creates a series of equations that can be solved for each term in the series. By adding these terms together, an approximate solution to the original equation can be found.

3. When is a series solution useful?

A series solution is useful when the ODE is difficult or impossible to solve using other methods. It is also useful when an exact solution is not needed, but an approximation is sufficient.

4. What are the limitations of a series solution?

One limitation of a series solution is that it only provides an approximate solution, which may not be accurate for all values of the independent variable. Additionally, the series may not converge for some values of the independent variable, making the solution invalid.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of a series solution?

To improve the accuracy of a series solution, one can include more terms in the series or use more sophisticated techniques, such as the method of Frobenius, which involves finding a more general form of the solution and then using boundary conditions to determine the specific solution.