Why Does Feynman Use a Single Electron Charge in Dipole Calculations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the dipole moment of a single atom induced by an external field. The person is confused about Feynman's use of a single electron charge instead of the total number of electrons in the atom. They suggest that this may be due to the simplification of the natural pulsation ω0, but Feynman continues to use ω0 with the total number of electrons. Additionally, they note that Feynman uses the charge of one electron instead of a new value for Z when calculating the dipole moment of a helium atom.
Seidhee
Hello,

I am reading the volume 2 of the Feynman's Lectures on Physics, and something is bothering me when he calculates the dipole moment of a single atom induced by an extern field :

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=uaQfAQAAQBAJ&pg=SA11-PA2&lpg=SA11-PA2&dq=feynman+dipole+single+atom&source=bl&ots=6nmZCqHDMk&sig=cd6wOGCKh9E9227ZX-a8KKhTqlM&hl=fr&sa=X&ei=NuI8VbHdI8v9UOSvgOAD&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=feynman%20dipole%20single%20atom&f=false

Indeed, he states that : " p = qex "

But why ? I would use in general : " p = Zqex " where Z is the number of electrons in the atom.

x is the displacement of the center of charges of the electrons, and thus x is also the displacement of each electron.

Could you explain his reasoning ? It is not the first time he uses a single electron charge instead of Z in his calculations, and I do not understand.

Thanks.
PS : First, I thought that was because the square of the natural pulsation ω0 depended on Z, which means that ω²0(Z) = Zω²0 (Z=1), which would simplify the Z replacing ω²0(Z) by Zω²0 (Z=1) ; but Feynman seems to use ω0 = ω0(Z) and not ω0 (Z=1) everywhere, so it does not matter.

Physics news on Phys.org
And qe is obviously equal to the charge of an electron and note equal to Z*(charge), because he uses then e² = q²e/4piε0.

Moreover, when he the does his calculations for the Helium atom, he keeps using qe = charge of one electron and does not use a new value for Z..

1. What is an atomic dipole in Feynman's theory?

An atomic dipole in Feynman's theory refers to the separation of positive and negative charges within an atom, which creates a dipole moment. This dipole moment can interact with external electric fields, causing the atom to experience a force.

2. How does Feynman's theory explain atomic dipole moments?

According to Feynman's theory, atomic dipole moments arise due to the quantum mechanical nature of electrons. Electrons can exist in different energy states, and transitions between these states create the dipole moment.

3. What is the significance of atomic dipole moments in physics?

Atomic dipole moments play a crucial role in various physical phenomena, such as the interaction of atoms with electric fields and the emission and absorption of light. They also contribute to the overall electric polarization of materials.

4. How is the strength of an atomic dipole moment determined in Feynman's theory?

The strength of an atomic dipole moment is determined by the difference in energy between the electron states involved in the transition. The larger the energy difference, the stronger the dipole moment.

5. Can atomic dipole moments be observed experimentally?

Yes, atomic dipole moments can be observed experimentally through techniques such as spectroscopy, which measures the energy transitions of atoms. These measurements can provide insights into the structure and behavior of atoms and molecules.