Feynman Diagrams for Exam Prep: Position vs. Momentum Space

In summary, there are two types of Feynman diagrams, position space and momentum space, and the diagrams may look different in each space, but they represent the same physical process. The orientation of lines in the diagrams does not affect the equations, only the relative positioning of vertices and lines does.
madness
I'm learning how to do Feynman diagrams for an exam coming up, and have come across diagrams in both position and momentum space. If I'm asked to draw a Feynman diagram without specifying which kind, is it generally assumed that it's in position space? If I label the the incoming and outgoing particles by momentum (as well as spin etc) is it then assumed that the diagram represents momentum space?

Physics news on Phys.org
yup correct! :)

What is the difference when drawing diagrams in momentum space and position space? In my notes the 2 lowest order diagrams for Compton scattering look quite different in momentum and position space. In position space the internal electron line in the second diagram points horizontally in position space and vertically in momentum space. What does this mean?

madness said:
What is the difference when drawing diagrams in momentum space and position space? In my notes the 2 lowest order diagrams for Compton scattering look quite different in momentum and position space. In position space the internal electron line in the second diagram points horizontally in position space and vertically in momentum space. What does this mean?

bump! I would like the answer to this as well.

madness said:
The actual diagrams are the same in every basis, only the mathematical expressions representing the diagrams are different. As for your question about the internal electron line: if two diagrams only differ by some sort of rotation of propagator lines, the diagrams are the same (topologically equivalent), since when you write down the mathematical expression for the diagram, all that matters is the relative positioning of vertices and lines. The orientation of lines does not step into equations.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot that's exactly what I needed to know.

Related to Feynman Diagrams for Exam Prep: Position vs. Momentum Space

1. What are Feynman diagrams and why are they important for exam prep?

Feynman diagrams are graphical representations of interactions between particles in quantum field theory. They are important for exam prep because they provide a visual tool for understanding complex concepts and calculations in physics.

2. How do Feynman diagrams relate to position and momentum space?

In Feynman diagrams, the horizontal axis represents position or time, while the vertical axis represents momentum or energy. This allows for a visualization of the relationship between position and momentum in a given interaction.

3. What is the difference between position and momentum space in Feynman diagrams?

Position space in Feynman diagrams refers to the position or time coordinates of particles, while momentum space refers to the momentum or energy of the particles. In other words, position space focuses on the location of the particles, while momentum space focuses on their motion.

4. How can Feynman diagrams be used to solve problems in exam preparation?

Feynman diagrams can be used to calculate the probability of particle interactions and to understand the behavior of particles in different situations. They can also be used to visualize and simplify complex concepts, making it easier to solve problems in exam preparation.

5. Are there any limitations to using Feynman diagrams for exam prep?

While Feynman diagrams are a useful tool for understanding and solving problems, they do have limitations. They are most effective for studying particle interactions at the quantum level and may not be as useful for macroscopic phenomena. Additionally, they may not always accurately represent real-world interactions and should be used in conjunction with other methods for exam prep.