Feynman diagrams strong process

In summary, the conversation is about Feynman diagrams for the process of ##\pi^- + p \rightarrow \Lambda_c^+ + D^-## and the correctness of the attached diagram. The process is strong as all quantum numbers are conserved. The expert does not provide further comments as it may seem like giving answers to a homework-like problem.
Aleolomorfo
TL;DR Summary
Write the Feynman diagram for a strong scattering
Hello everybody!

I have to write the Feynman diagrams for the process ##\pi^- + p \rightarrow \Lambda_c^+ + D^-##. It is a strong process since all the quantum numbers are conserved.
I have attached my attempt, is it correct?

Thank you all in advance!

Attachments

• 2019-08-31-Note-17-58.pdf
    10.6 KB · Views: 194
Physics news on Phys.org
Aleolomorfo said:
I have attached my attempt, is it correct?

It is not wrong, but I would probably not give it much credit. (And since this looks like homework, I don't want to say more.)

Vanadium 50 said:
It is not wrong, but I would probably not give it much credit. (And since this looks like homework, I don't want to say more.)

Thank you for the reply. The attached diagram is better? The previous diagram is ##\mathcal{O}(\alpha_s^2)##, instead this one is ##\mathcal{O}(\alpha_s)##, isn't it?

PS It is not homework, I was just discussing about Feynman diagrams with a mate of mine.

Attachments

• 2019-08-31-Note-19-43.pdf
    9.3 KB · Views: 167
Sure does look better...but the rule here is for homework-like problems. Even if they are really a bar bet.

1. What are Feynman diagrams and how are they used in the strong process?

Feynman diagrams are graphical representations of particle interactions in quantum field theory. They are used to visualize and calculate the probability of different particle interactions, including those involved in the strong process.

2. What is the strong process and how does it differ from the other fundamental forces?

The strong process is one of the four fundamental forces of nature, along with gravity, electromagnetism, and the weak force. It is responsible for holding together the nucleus of an atom and is the strongest of the four forces. It differs from the others in that it only acts on particles with color charge, such as quarks and gluons.

3. How do Feynman diagrams represent the strong process?

Feynman diagrams use lines and vertices to represent particles and their interactions. In the strong process, gluons are represented by wavy lines and quarks by solid lines. The vertices represent the point where two particles interact, exchanging energy and momentum.

4. Can Feynman diagrams be used to predict the outcome of the strong process?

Yes, Feynman diagrams can be used to calculate the probability of different outcomes of the strong process. By summing up all possible diagrams for a given process, physicists can determine the most likely outcome and compare it to experimental data.

5. Are there any limitations to using Feynman diagrams in the study of the strong process?

While Feynman diagrams are a powerful tool in understanding the strong process, they have limitations. They are only applicable in the perturbation theory regime, where the interactions are weak and can be approximated. In addition, they do not account for all possible interactions and cannot fully describe the behavior of particles at high energies.