Feynman irreversible and reversible weightlifting machine

In summary, Feynman explains that in order to make a machine work, we must add a little extra effort to overcome the friction that makes it irreversible. This extra effort is necessary because even the smallest reduction in mass requires work to restore it to its original state. This principle is known as the "inversion" of the process and is essential in understanding how machines function.
Est120
Homework Statement
A very simple weight-lifting machine is shown in Fig. 4–1. This machine lifts weights three units “strong.” We place three units on one balance pan, and one unit on the other. However, in order to get it actually to work, we must lift a little weight off the left pan. On the other hand, we could lift a one-unit weight by lowering the three-unit weight, if we cheat a little by lifting a little weight off the other pan. Of course, we realize that with any actual lifting machine, we must add a little extra to get it to run. This we disregard, temporarily. Ideal machines, although they do not exist, do not require anything extra. A machine that we actually use can be, in a sense, almost reversible: that is, if it will lift the weight of three by lowering a weight of one, then it will also lift nearly the weight of one the same amount by lowering the weight of three.
Relevant Equations
understand what feynman says
i have tried to understand Feynman's words i think i finally understands what he means by "we must add a little extra to get it to run"
he refers to the "inversion" of the process, that's when we need to add extra work (lifting up a little mass)
please correct me if I am wrong, this is something i want to have clear in my head
CamScanner 03-08-2021 10.28 (1).jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Not exactly. Start with the machine as shown in the lecture. With masses ##3m## on one end and ##m## on the other, there would be no net torque on the lever, so the machine wouldn't do any lifting either way. If you reduce the ##3m## mass by a little bit ##\delta m##, there'd be a net torque that would lift the remaining ##3m-\delta m##. To restore the machine to the initial state, you'd have to do some work to lift the ##\delta m## to restore the mass to ##3m##, reduce ##m## by ##\delta m## to lift ##m-\delta m## up, and then do a little more work the lift ##\delta m## to restore the mass on the right to ##m##. So there's some amount of work proportional to ##\delta m## to get the machine to run through one cycle. Now it doesn't matter how small ##\delta m## is. It's just that the smaller it is, the longer it will take the machine to go through one cycle.

In a real machine, however, there's always some amount of friction, which is what makes it irreversible, and a finite amount of work is needed to overcome this friction. You can't make the work required arbitrarily small. That's the little extra actual machines need to work.

1. How does the Feynman irreversible and reversible weightlifting machine work?

The Feynman irreversible and reversible weightlifting machine works by utilizing a system of pulleys and levers to convert the force applied by the user into a lifting force. As the user pulls on the machine, the pulleys and levers work together to increase the force and lift the weight.

2. What makes the Feynman irreversible and reversible weightlifting machine different from other weightlifting machines?

The Feynman irreversible and reversible weightlifting machine is unique because it is both irreversible and reversible. This means that it can be used for both lifting and lowering weights, unlike traditional weightlifting machines which only allow for lifting.

3. How does the Feynman irreversible and reversible weightlifting machine maintain equilibrium?

The Feynman irreversible and reversible weightlifting machine maintains equilibrium by using a counterweight system. As the user lifts the weight, the counterweight on the other side of the machine moves down, keeping the machine balanced.

4. Can the Feynman irreversible and reversible weightlifting machine be used for different types of exercises?

Yes, the Feynman irreversible and reversible weightlifting machine can be used for a variety of exercises, including lifting weights, performing resistance exercises, and even simulating movements like rowing or pulling. Its versatility makes it a popular choice for both strength training and cardiovascular workouts.

5. Is the Feynman irreversible and reversible weightlifting machine suitable for all fitness levels?

Yes, the Feynman irreversible and reversible weightlifting machine is suitable for all fitness levels. The weight can be adjusted to accommodate different strength levels, making it a great option for beginners and advanced users alike. It also allows for a wide range of exercises, making it suitable for a variety of fitness goals.