Feynmania-fond/inspiring memories (and ask Wolram to start a blog)

In summary, the conversation discusses a link with fond memories of Richard Feynman and the request for Wolram to start a blog instead of spending too much time on online forums. The speaker also shares their thoughts on Wolram's departure and suggests that his talent lies in being skeptical and cantankerous rather than being the funniest.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Feynmania--fond/inspiring memories (and ask Wolram to start a blog)

I'd like to share this.
http://www.longnow.org/views/essays/articles/ArtFeynman.php

Thanks to Swans on Tea for the link
http://blogs.scienceforums.net/swansont/archives/352
=======================

When I came here to post this link----a wonderful bunch of remembrances of R.F. by someonew who worked with him in the 1980s and became friends with him----I was surprised to see a thread where Wolram was saying farewell.

Here are my thoughts on that. which might not do much good to address directly to Wolram. Intractable and stubborn as he is. So I will say them to no one in particular.

Wolram is a PF fixture with an original way of thinking that leads him to ask unusual questions and adopt unexpected viewpoints.

I think it is not too much to say he is beloved.

My guess is that the basic reason he is thinking of departure is because messageboarding with a large congenial community takes so much TIME and emotional energy. It can become a kind of addictive dissipation. So probably Wolram just wants to cure himself of web-dependency and put more time into realworld stuff.

Someone who has influence with Wolram should persuade him to start a blog. then when he goes on line he only has to check ONE THING. He could share his outlook on the world that way without having to visit many different subforums.

Maybe people would visit the blog and disagree with him and stuff, and maybe they wouldn't. Either way wouldn't take much time out of the day for Wolram. And it wouldn't leave such a big hole in the web for the rest of us.

So if you have an special influence with him, please consider that possibility.
================

Also, Wolram in my view is inappropriately honored as the "funniest". He may make funny remarks but his special talent is more complicated than that. I'd say he is the most skeptical and cantankerous. We could use more of that, not less.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
He is the most original thinker, the most challenging debater, and the most determined to get to the bottom of things. That's how I see him. He doesn't always get along with people, but that's because he doesn't suffer fools gladly. And he is not a fool. He is a scientist.

So, Wolram, if you're reading this, please consider starting a blog. Share your thoughts and insights with the world in a format that works for you. And thank you for being a valuable member of the scientific community.

1. What is "Feynmania-fond"?

"Feynmania-fond" refers to a term coined by physicist Richard Feynman to describe his passion and enthusiasm for science and learning. It represents his insatiable curiosity and love for exploring the mysteries of the universe.

2. What are some inspiring memories associated with "Feynmania-fond"?

Some inspiring memories associated with "Feynmania-fond" include Feynman's famous lectures on physics, his groundbreaking contributions to quantum mechanics, and his dedication to teaching and mentoring future scientists.

3. Why should Wolram start a blog about "Feynmania-fond"?

Wolram, as a fellow scientist, can use a blog to share his own experiences and insights on "Feynmania-fond" and inspire others to embrace a similar passion for science and learning. It is also a great platform to connect with a wider audience and exchange ideas.

4. How can "Feynmania-fond" impact the scientific community?

"Feynmania-fond" can have a significant impact on the scientific community by promoting a love for science, encouraging innovation and creativity, and fostering a collaborative and supportive environment for researchers to thrive.

5. How can individuals cultivate their own "Feynmania-fond"?

Individuals can cultivate their own "Feynmania-fond" by nurturing their curiosity, staying open-minded, and constantly seeking new knowledge and understanding. It is also important to have a passion for the subject and to never stop questioning and exploring.