Feynman's QED; 36,000 revolutions per inch for red light.

In summary, Feynman explains in his book QED that the significance of 36,000 is the wavelength of red light, which is about 1/36000 inches (700 nm). He suggests that the angle of the "little arrows" in his model corresponds to both the phase angle of the EM oscillations in the photon and the probability amplitudes of virtual photons. However, he does not elaborate on this further.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
In Feynman's book, QED, The Strange Theory of Light and Matter, page 27 he says, "As long as the photon moves, the stopwatch hand turns (about 36,000 times per inch for red light); when the photon end up at the photomultiplier, we stop the watch."

I've been puzzling about the significance of 36,000. The wavelength of red light is about 1/36000 inches (700 nm). So it sounds like he is saying that the angle of the "little arrows" is the same as the phase angle of the EM oscillations in the photon. But my reading of the book is that the angle of the arrows refers to probability amplitudes of virtual photons, not the phase angle of a real photon. Feynman did not elaborate.

So I'm left confused. What is the significance of 36,000? Hopefully, an I-level answer is possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
I've been puzzling about the significance of 36,000. The wavelength of red light is about 1/36000 inches (700 nm). So it sounds like he is saying that the angle of the "little arrows" is the same as the phase angle of the EM oscillations in the photon. But my reading of the book is that the angle of the arrows refers to probability amplitudes of virtual photons, not the phase angle of a real photon. Feynman did not elaborate.
In Feynman's heuristic model it's both. If we take the double-slit, for example. The QED model must largely match the classical EM wave model. The phase of the probability amplitude must match the frequency/wavelength of the classical wave.

• Informative
Likes hutchphd, topsquark, berkeman and 1 other person

1. What is Feynman's QED and how is it related to light?

Feynman's QED (Quantum Electrodynamics) is a mathematical theory that explains the behavior of light and its interaction with matter. It describes how light is composed of particles called photons and how these particles interact with charged particles such as electrons.

2. What does the number 36,000 revolutions per inch refer to in Feynman's QED?

In Feynman's QED, the number 36,000 revolutions per inch refers to the frequency of red light, which is equivalent to the number of times a photon completes a full cycle in one inch.

3. How does Feynman's QED explain the color of light?

Feynman's QED explains the color of light by describing it as a combination of different frequencies of photons. Each color of light has a different frequency, and the combination of these frequencies creates the perception of color.

4. What is the significance of the number 36,000 in Feynman's QED?

The number 36,000 in Feynman's QED is significant because it represents the frequency of red light, which is one of the primary colors of light. It also helps to explain the behavior of light and its interaction with matter at a microscopic level.

5. How does Feynman's QED impact our understanding of light and its properties?

Feynman's QED has greatly impacted our understanding of light and its properties by providing a mathematical framework to explain its behavior. It has also helped to advance our knowledge of quantum mechanics and the fundamental nature of particles and their interactions.