Fibre attenuation with absoring cladding

In summary: Your name]In summary, the overall attenuation of the mode along the single mode fiber with a non-absorbing core and absorbing cladding is 8.45 dB/km at 1550 nm, calculated using the weak guiding approximation and power along the fiber equations. This may seem high, but it is actually a small amount of attenuation for this type of fiber. The power ratio of the core and cladding may not be accurate in real-world scenarios due to imperfections and losses in the fiber.
Particle Head

Homework Statement

Given a single mode fibre with non-absorbing core and absorbing cladding where the power propagating in the fundamental mode is split 70%:30% between core and cladding, calculate overall attenuation of the mode along the fibre in dB/km at 1550nm source wavelength where the imaginary part of the cladding refractive index is [itex] 8 \times 10 ^ {-10} [/itex]

Homework Equations

In a weak guiding approximation the perturbed propagation constant is given as,
[tex] \bar{\beta} = \beta + i \delta \eta k [/tex]
where [itex] \delta [/itex] is the imaginary component of the cladding refractive index and [itex] \eta [/itex] is the fraction of power within the cladding.

Power along a fibre is given as,

[tex] P(z) = P(0) e ^ {-2 \beta^{(i)} z} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Substituting the imaginary component of the perturbed propagation constand into the power along the fibre we get,

[tex] P(z) = P(0) e ^ { - 2 \delta \eta k z} = P(0) e^{-2 (8 \times 10 ^{-10}) (0.3) \left(\frac{2 \pi }{1550 \times 10 ^ {-9}}\right) z } [/tex]

To convert this to attenuation I divide both sides by P(0) and then take the log base 10 and multiply by -10 as follows,

[tex] L = -10 \log \left( \frac{P(z)}{P(0)}\right) = 20 (8 \times 10 ^{-10}) (0.3) \left(\frac{2 \pi }{1550 \times 10 ^ {-9}}\right) z \log(e) [/tex]

For the attenuation at 1km I plug [itex] z=1000[/itex] into this equation which should give me the attenuation per km. Doing this I get,
[tex] L = 8.45 \ dB/km[/tex]

My problem is this seems way too high for single mode fibre and so I believe I am missing something here. I was also thinking that with a non absorbing core wouldn't this imply no attenuation in the core and hence after some time you would end up with a power ratio of [itex] \frac{0.7P(0)}{P(0)}[/itex] which is about 1.5dB in loss?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculations seem to be correct. It is important to note that the imaginary part of the cladding refractive index is very small (8x10^-10), which results in a very small attenuation per km (8.45 dB/km). This may seem high, but it is actually a very small amount of attenuation for a single mode fiber at 1550 nm.

Regarding your concern about the non-absorbing core, the power ratio you mentioned is only valid for a perfect single mode fiber with no imperfections or losses. In reality, there will always be some level of attenuation due to various factors, such as scattering, bending losses, and imperfections in the fiber itself. Therefore, the overall attenuation of the mode along the fiber will still be affected by the absorbing cladding, even though the core is non-absorbing.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. Keep up the good work!

1. What is fibre attenuation with absorbing cladding?

Fibre attenuation with absorbing cladding is a phenomenon that occurs in optical fibers when the cladding material is designed to absorb light. This absorption causes a decrease in the signal strength as it travels through the fiber, resulting in attenuation.

2. How does fibre attenuation with absorbing cladding affect data transmission?

Fibre attenuation with absorbing cladding can significantly impact data transmission by reducing the signal strength and causing data loss. This can lead to slower transmission speeds and the need for amplification or repeaters to maintain the signal strength.

3. What factors can contribute to fibre attenuation with absorbing cladding?

The main factors that contribute to fibre attenuation with absorbing cladding are the composition and thickness of the cladding material, the wavelength of the light being transmitted, and the length of the fiber. Other factors, such as temperature and external environmental conditions, can also play a role.

4. How can fibre attenuation with absorbing cladding be minimized?

Fibre attenuation with absorbing cladding can be minimized by carefully selecting the cladding material and its thickness, as well as optimizing the fiber design and manufacturing process. Additionally, using higher quality materials and implementing proper maintenance and handling procedures can also help reduce attenuation.

5. What are the implications of fibre attenuation with absorbing cladding in different industries?

Fibre attenuation with absorbing cladding can have varying implications in different industries. In telecommunications, it can lead to slower data transmission and the need for costly equipment to maintain signal strength. In medical and scientific fields, it can affect the accuracy and reliability of data collected through fiber optic sensors. In industrial settings, it can impact the efficiency and safety of fiber optic systems used for monitoring and control.